UKU Finale analysis-My take

Posted: 15 years ago

Here is my observation on UKU finale.

With Lil ustaads top 3 I was not very impressed with their performance.

Jayant was bit disappointing for me the way he rendered the song.  I think he was oversinging it a bit by stretching each line.  Such a beautiful song I felt he should have sung like original and nothing more. 

Raja was the bomb out of 4 in Adults.

Sumitra was the worst of 4.  Dunno how this girl was chosen to be in TOP 12 on VOI and top 4 on UKU   She should not dare singing "Aami je tomar"  She is not capable of singing that song

Amit did not pick good songs so was totally boring.

Toshi's first two songs were very good but he killed the third song.  Sawan beeto was sung fantastically by Amanat Ali. 

Toshi  is good singer but he needs to remain in control and respect music.  Thaherav ki bahut zaroorat hai.  He looses composure when he starts singing and tries to show off tooo much.  May be he can learn how to remain composed from his bro Sharib.  Toshi can go alot farther keeping that in mind.

Medleys are supposed to blend in and one does not have to wait for the next song to get the note-sur.

I was thrilled to hear Raja singing Teri Diwani first.  All 3 songs were beautiful rendition by him.  He was the perfect choice by judges.

In dancers although Krishna and Karishma won with new interesting concept, I felt Sandhya and Javed were best out of four.  It is her attitude which gets her no where.  She still is bitter about her loss from JDJ.  Girl move on

Shweta and Longi should change their dancing routine and bring something more to a next level.  I was disappointed.

Rajeshwari was really good but Varun was ok that is why they lost out although concept was really nice.

Comedy  Urvashi and Shaquil were fantastic.  I laughed thru the whole routine.  Shaquil was the one why the pair won.  Urvashi is good but shaquil's line deliveries were fantastic.

Loved the way Shekhar handled little kids announcing the winner.  He really was very parent like to make sure runner ups were not hurt. 

Overall I was happy for Raja, Jayant, KK and US

Please share your thoughts😊
Good analysis 😊 Another thing to add was that Toshi's voice was cracking too much and sounded strained-- I'm sure it was involuntary-- but perhaps its coz he's trying a bit too hard?
Luvd that discussion between Javed and Shekhar after Toshi came onto stage :P I think Javed saab is forgetting that album songs have been sung in competitions-- Teri deewani has been sung on both VOI and SRGMP...

Originally posted by msti

Good analysis 😊 Another thing to add was that Toshi's voice was cracking too much and sounded strained-- I'm sure it was involuntary-- but perhaps its coz he's trying a bit too hard?

Yes his voice was strained and cracked many times.  I feel he yells alot in higher notes and even he looks strained.  So the singing is not effortless IMHO.

Luvd that discussion between Javed and Shekhar after Toshi came onto stage :P I think Javed saab is forgetting that album songs have been sung in competitions-- Teri deewani has been sung on both VOI and SRGMP...

^^^ Thanks for reading and responding πŸ˜ƒ

JA's comments after Toshi's performance and Movie song was related to Toshi trying to bring unneccessary Sargam, Taan, Murkiyaan or Harkatey when there is no need for it.  He likes to show that he is classically trained singer.  We all know which family he comes from. 

No need to advertise that he is trained singer over and over.  Sing the song how it is sung in your way but not over doing it. 

I don't think it has any relations to Teri Diwani or any other album songs.  TD has been extremely popular and starting with Abhrokanti, Raja, Emon, Toshi, Twinkle, Aamir and others have sung it in other contests.

Oh okay... I thought what JA meant was that only film songs shud be sung at competitions :P
Bit of a misunderstanding πŸ˜ƒ
I'm glad atleast someone told it as it was to Toshi infront of him, instead of hyping him-- Its all for his good, if he chooses to respond to it positively (which I hope he does 😊 )
Good analysis,Varsha.I am not competent to say anything on dancing,but as a layman viewere I thought either Sandhya or Shweta should have won.Is a new concept the only thing in dancing?
As for Chhote Ustaad all were below par-maybe the hang up after two As is still there for us.Overall.however,Jayant did deserve to win.
Raja was his usual self and he too had no competition.Toshi could have been a challenge,but he is always going overboard to impress.Howevr I do not agree with Javed A's remark that his style would not suit playback singing and the show is meant only as a talent hunt for playback singers.Any good music director can modulate Toshi's voice to suit the needs of playback,and even his style of songs are sung in movies.Moreover,all these contestants do not get movie assignments,but do get opportunities for stage shows.Sumitra was a let down right from the start.She is doing very badly in JJSW too always getting the lowest rankings.As for VOI,maybe her singing has gone downhill after some creditable renderings.Also wonder how she was selected as duet acommpaniment in the latest KK episode on Sony.
In comedy Shaquil-Urvashi pair had no competition as such.The others were far behind them.True,Shaquil carried the day.I heard Sunil Pal on Dhoom macha de the other day and he would have given a good competition to the winners.

Originally posted by vasamv

Good analysis,Varsha. Muchos Gracias πŸ˜ƒ I am not competent to say anything on dancing, Me Neither 😳 but as a layman viewere I thought either Sandhya or Shweta should have won.Is a new concept the only thing in dancing?

Sandhya was better than Shweta in Finale.  I was expecting much better from Shweta. 

As for Chhote Ustaad all were below par-maybe the hang up after two As is still there for us.Overall.however,Jayant did deserve to win.

Yep Jayant deserved to win but agree with you on all CU-LC were not upto the par.  I think we are under two A's huge hangover πŸ˜†

Raja was his usual self and he too had no competition.  Yep Toshi could have been a challenge,but he is always going overboard to impress. Wish he did not do that.  he could have been a great competition. If he sang w/o going over board. 😳

Howevr I do not agree with Javed A's remark that his style would not suit playback singing and the show is meant only as a talent hunt for playback singers. Any good music director can modulate Toshi's voice to suit the needs of playback,and even his style of songs are sung in movies. 

Agree.  I think JA's comments were misunderstood by many.  I think his comments were directed indirectly towards Toshi's unneccessary adding sargam, taane, harkatey aur murkiyaan where there is no need.

Moreover,all these contestants do not get movie assignments,but do get opportunities for stage shows.

Sumitra was a let down right from the start.She is doing very badly in JJSW too always getting the lowest rankings.As for VOI,maybe her singing has gone downhill after some creditable renderings.Also wonder how she was selected as duet acommpaniment in the latest KK episode on Sony.  I am lost at that too πŸ˜• 

In comedy Shaquil-Urvashi pair had no competition as such.The others were far behind them.True,Shaquil carried the day.I heard Sunil Pal on Dhoom macha de the other day and he would have given a good competition to the winners.  

Personally I find Sunil Pal so bad, and irritating.  Wasn't he a co-host with Himani on Antakshari in the beginning and was replaced with the new guy? I might be wrong 😳

Thanks Maheshbhai for responding πŸ˜ƒ

the final winners...m ok with it...xcept the dancing 1...i wntd varun 2 win :(
I wanna say something about senior singers. Raja was desrved winner with his oustanding medley. Amit paul was also very good. HIs voice quality suited for Playback singing . Toshi as always overdid the songs. I have been sayin this for long time he need to control his unnecessary murkia, raaga, harkatey. SOmetimes those stuffs work well and sometimes failed. And i think this time he failed. Sumitra is too bad. Her voice quality sounds kinda irritating for me. As whole Raja was desrved winner.
u r bang on with ur analysis...i agree with 98% of it
well

in chotte ustaad i wanted tanmay to win but oh well jayant deserved it

in comedy hands down shakil was gonno win and i have seen comedy circus he is proper jokess lol

in singing sumrita sang bad and it was boring
i was so suprised at raja he was beyond excellent the poor guy put all his energy it sounded so good best choise for winner

now toshi my fav one overdid it so badly i mean sing it properly his voice was straining and it cracked a couple of times but i still love him
amit was boring same voice boring

dancing kash and kris done really good i have seen nb3 and they done so good compared to their old day so i guess they deserved it