Career problems...

sanya_s thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

I've quite a few things to say..plz understand if I get confusing😊.

Guys, give me your advice, opinion, experiences..everything. How do you decide upon a career?  Where I live, its entrance fever..only doctors and engineers are available..If u dont write entrance, its like a loss of prestige. But I really dont  prefer either of that..but I dont have another specific ambition also... So how do you decide upon something, choose it?

And there's sososo..much pressure nowadays concerning studies..its like DO or DIE. We cannot always choose, we are forced to do things..Is there anyone out there sharing my dilemma..if so plz respond..and plz give me some valuable advice..I would really appreciate it..Thanks in advance.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fatty1 thumbnail
it depends on what you're best at! or not!
sweetsorrow18 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
hey im in the same boat right now!
anyone with advice, do post =)
-misha thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
i have already decided my career option. as fatty 1 saidit depends on what you're best at. i want to be a journalist and a writer too. i love writing and am gud at it
Sweetz thumbnail
well im in the same boat u as well.. i feel like im being forced to study for a career i dun appreciate n liek very much thas y im struggling buh its the happiness of my parents.. my solution? well i plan on pursuing their dream and mines.. because i wont forgiv myself if i cant do what i want for myself or if i let them down... so i will kill myself wid my studies and acquire degrees in both fields n see where the future takes me
sowmyaa thumbnail
well i think sometimes specially in India career decision is done very early when you are not even sure what you want to be or you sometime dont even get chance to explore about what you are good at. It's hard to decide at that point. I would suggest think what you like to do and pursue that. Not everyone needs to be doc. or eng. I am in accounting and i love that. There are tons of field like accounting, journalism, financial analyst, education, artist- musician, dancer, and what not its endless.... explore what you like and what is ur passion and sometimes i personanlly thing if you are not sure what you want there is no harm in getting into what ur parents suggest like eng. or doc. it does happen that after some time you kind of start liking it.
Signora2 thumbnail
Yes guys dont be forced into doing things, study what u like best, after all only u will face the music. It is a tough choice, but got to do what u like best.Chill.
signora2
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Doesn't your school have a career fair you could attend ? its ideal to meet speakers from different field who share their experiences . Well if you don't , you could do the following:
1) make a note of what you are very good at or what fascinates you - you could be a great debater , good at music , good at drawing , math , English or hindi creative writing , sports , science . You need to figure that out first .
2) Speak to your respective teachers - if creative writing is your subject - you may want to speak to your hindi or English teacher , If it math - Math teacher , drawing - arts teacher etc . They could guide you and counsell you as to what are the options available to you . As in Creative teacher may tell you its graphics or creative writing teacher may say its copy writer or a journalist etc !!
3) you too could next reserach on these fields after narrowing down . Then once you have a list of top 5 proffesions then you may enlist the help of your teacher and fix an appointment with proffesionals to come and speak to you OR you may want to form a group and meet them at their office . You could look up your old students association directory and call up on them who are doing well in their field and ask them to meet you in a group .
4)If you are still in school , and in college you have 3 years to decide , you could do summer jobs at the place of your choice and watch how people function in the job that interets you the most .

Finally i can say that most times kids at your age will make a decision that will be like a gamble you may not be very certain if that career is certainly for you or not , .....but life gives you opportunity to switch careers , and so you can ....you don't have to panic about getting stuck for ever .I switched my career at 28 and my hubby too did so at 27 then again at 30 . Now i think he's sure! But please do graduate !       😆 Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
mikagurl23 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I am also in the same boat!! I have tried everything, and the thing is im not tooo good at anything, and i dont know what to focus on, and so i think ill struggle in chosing a career! 😕