Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pj04 thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Discussion of the week

We are going to post one very controversial topic every week and invite your opinion on it. However I request you to follow a few basic rules

1) these are just opinions and do not reflect a person's moral/social/ idealogical values so please refrain from name calling and personal attacks

2) keep the post decent (some topics might be infuriating). rest assured they are from what we encounter in our daily life and we expect a honest , healthy and intellectual debate.

3)if you have any ideas for the topics...please forward them to the moderators.

I hope you will take this opportunity to participate in this debate without being judgemental. Open mindedness and tolerance have been the greatest asset of this forum. Also please feel free to send us feedbacks if you would like to continue with these discussions or not.

Ok let's start: Our topic for this week is

"DO TV SHOWS IMMITATE REALITY OR REALITY IMMITATES TV SHOWS"

TV show producers and directors often claim that thier story is influenced by true story of someone somewhere, on the other hand tv shows often influence public perceptions, lifestyle, fashions and trends.they also have a great impact culturally. are tv shows really an interpretation of twisted reality or they are the one that cause the reality....

Let the debate began.....

Edited by pj04 - 19 years ago
cutereems thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I think that reality imitates TV shows. I belive some of tv shows will be based on reality but not all.

Now-a-days we get to see such TV shows in which we dont have any reality. All growing kids.watch such shows and do grow in that path only. Sometimes Tv leads us to good path but not always. It even shows us wrong way especially Ektaa's shows. She is spoiling todaysgeneration kids.

But on the whole we cant even balme on TV shows bcoz person must have their own thinking also.

But i feel that Reality imitates Tv shows more.

nandiinii thumbnail
I agree with cutereems...She is absolutely right...
*Anjali* thumbnail

I agree with cutereems.  I also want to add that some shows (all of kekta's) are extremely unrealistic and can't mirror anyone's life.  I mean who goes to bed wearing such heavy saris and makeup only to wake up looking so perfect??? 😕  Kekta also alwas has this plastic surgery plot where a character meets with an accident and their face is disfigured so their face changes to look like someone else (two examples come to mind...Koi Apna Sa and Kutumb).  How realistic and feasible is this????😕

However there are shows out there, like JJKN and Astitva which are more realistic and deal with the concerns of average middle class people and not rich business families. 

So I would say that in shows like JJKN and Astitva, tv imitates reality, but in the case of kekta, her shows DO NOT imitate what is reality or the lives of the average Indian viewer.

Edited by anjali308 - 19 years ago
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
reality imitates tv showz............ppl c stuff on tv n it influencez dem.....n da tv show writerz dont get influence frm life cuz dey jus maki up stuff....itz all their imagination..............now luk at the showz on this forum.......im sire u all r aware of wat iz goin on.......how many ppl du u noe facin da same issuez as them?
*~puja~* thumbnail

TV shows imitates reality, the shows usually start of being realistic, they have some of the same issues and problems, but as the show continues, to keep the rating up, producers and directors come up with un-realistic situations(plastic surgery, coming back to life, or the 20 year leaps having everyone look the same) that doesn't happen in real life

HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
In fact now days TV shows r not worth watcing all they show is stupid and nonsence, 1 wife 3 affairs, husband in some black money making, husband affairs, out of maaraige children, killing some one, raping some body, trying to be a fashion freak.............etc..............etc.........etc

Come on we r feadup of these stories, bring out some thing new, as jassi did, yeh meri life ws good but again..its taking formulas of ekta now........ hmmm and ekta she has alll common story line for every serial!!
I diifinately feel "REALITY IMMITATES TV SHOWS"
meghavi thumbnail

Originally posted by: HUMM

In fact now days TV shows r not worth watcing all they show is stupid and nonsence, 1 wife 3 affairs, husband in some black money making, husband affairs, out of maaraige children, killing some one, raping some body, trying to be a fashion freak.............etc..............etc.........etc

Come on we r feadup of these stories, bring out some thing new, as jassi did, yeh meri life ws good but again..its taking formulas of ekta now........ hmmm and ekta she has alll common story line for every serial!!
I diifinately feel "REALITY IMMITATES TV SHOWS"

well said HUMM, i agree with you..!!!

chayya thumbnail

Earlier there were many serials which mirrored everyday life but since kekta came into the picture,she has turned the concept of good tv shows upside down.Now all most all the shows show things which are possible only on Planet X and probably that is where she goes for training!!

There are still a few shows which at least try to show some reality,like JJKN or Astitva and even Sanjivani to some extent but they are so few and far between.

Morgoth thumbnail

TV Shows always have an unrealistic element to them...forget about Ekta Kapoor, even JJKN is so unrealistic in imitating aspects of the business world (the Board of Directors never WORK, for one thing and the Chairman has no clue as to how a CEO is elected in spite of having a business degree).

TV shows take instances of reality and exaggerate them to a great degree. WHY do they influence people? Its because, they emerge from reality - it does not matter if its from the life of the wealthy, middle-class or poor.

So, I say that reality influences TV Shows which in turn exaggerate it to make us watch.