•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 19 years ago
'Page3' boy emulates Aamir, Kamal

By Our Staff

Tete-a-Tete

click for larger view
The 'Page 3' boy and debutante actor is Jay Kalra. He is not new to the camera, but has never appeared in a romantic or a thriller movie. He has appeared on the screen in his commercials only, but of top companies. These companies range from cars to banks to computers like Hero Honda and Maruti among car manufacturers, Microsoft in computers and American Express and ABN Amro in banks. Though Jay has never been a journalist yet he is happy to act in 'Page3', movie related with newspapers. Jay's idol director is none other than Madhur Bhandarkar, who happens to be his first movie director too. Similarly, Jay likes the acting style of Aamir Khan and Kamal Hassan, and does emulate them in his first assignment. Jay feels that in today's world models can certainly prove to be good actors. He is satisfied with whatever he has got by now, and wants others to keep patience in life and be honest.

Excerpts of his tete-e-tete with the media:

How did you enter the movie world?

< border=0 align=top marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ww.smashits.com/fastclick_300x250_01." Border=no width=300 scrolling=no height=250> < SRC="http://ww.smashits.com/fastclick_300x250_01." width="300" height="250" border="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" SCROLLING="no"> </> </>
I had acted in plays in my college days though hesitantly, but it was a good experience. One year back I was no way near acting. I was happy being a model. Then I met Madhur Bhandarkar at a dinner party one day. I was and am a big fan of his since the time I saw his 'Chandni Bar'. I got an offer from him for the movie 'page3' and I accepted.

What was the most challenging experience in the movie?

The most challenging experience for me was that the person behind the camera was National Award wining director and so was the actress, Konkona Sen Sharma.

What's your role in the movie?

My character is that of a struggling model who wants to foray into films. He has nothing to fall back on, hangs around at the page-3 parties with a 'user' king of attitude, trying to find people who would promote him. Then he meets a page3 journalist and uses her to become famous.

Do you identify yourself with the character in it?

No, I don't identify with the character because I believe in being well connected but not to use others to achieve my purpose.

Is there any page 3 scribe in your real life?

I am meeting many every day!

Did you emulate someone's acting style?

click for larger view
I have grown up watching Aamir Khan and Kamal Hassan. I would like to imitate them. Yes, in this movie also I have tried to do that. It's their passion and dedication that has made them reach where they are today.

How do you find working with Madhur Bhandarkar?

Madhur Bhandarkar is a phenomenal director. He is so spontaneous that he lets you act the way you feel comfortable. He is the best director for a newcomer.

Can models turn good actors?

That notion is changing now. If you can't perform in a 60-second advertisement, you can't perform in a three-hour movie too.