ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Salman Khan does a Balraj Sahni

DNA India

Monday, November 05, 2007  23:59 IST

Khan's role in 'Saawariya' has shades of the legendary actor in 'Kabuliwalah' reports Shubha Shetty-Saha

Ask him about film-maker Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Salman Khan says with a mischievous grin, "I think Sanjay is just an average director."

Getting serious he says, "Sanjay is the best that we have. If you believe in living legends, he is one of them. He is only getting better and better."

Recalling his first experience of working with Bhansali, Salman says, "Sanjay wanted me to tone down my act in 'Khamoshi'. He thought if my character was light and fun, it wouldn't suit the rest of the film.

But since the movie was getting morbid, I felt that it would be nice to have a fun character to break that. He finally agreed with me, and I ended up doing what I do in real life," says Salman.

Though Salman has toned himself down for his role in 'Saawariya' he nevertheless adds, "But it will be more or less me. I am this funny guy with romantic elements. It is a very beautiful and well-made film."

Salman jests, "Thank God! This time Sanjay has not made a film, which is four hours long. There was a time when people would clap when the censor certificate showed 18 reels. Now it's the jet age and people want to watch short movies.

The era of 'Sholay' and 'Hum Aapke Hai Kaun', where people planned to watch a movie and went with their families, is over. Now, people quickly decide to watch a movie if they have about two hours to kill."

Coming back to his role in 'Saawariya' Salman says that it's much like the late Balraj Sahni's in 'Kabuliwalah'. "But of course, Balraj uncle has given an amazing performance.

Mine would be nowhere close to that," he confesses.

Salman is not anxious about 'Om Shanti Om' being pitted against his film. "This huge hype is a good thing.

Watch out! Both the films will do well. We have enough audiences to fill all the theatres. And our (referring to himself and Shah Rukh Khan) fans anyway watch our films twice or thrice."