Debate Mansion

Narendra Modi Ignores Team India Stars

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Attach is a link to article from Rediff-

Narendra Modi Ignores Team India Stars

I doubt these ministers are giving out money or reward to these players out of their pocket. I am amazed that Janta is so happy seeing their money go to such award charity and also ready to criticize the ones who do not contribute to this reward. I personally think that these players are already getting enough money from their contract and other winning rewards. I don't think there is need for these ministers to reward them with the big sum of money they could have rather used for country's infrastructure or other important affair in each state.

Being said that, I agree to the part of this article that at least Mr. Modi should congratulate the boys from his state. They deserve pat on their back and greetings from their origin state. They have won the cup and they should be warmly greeted. It just leaves bitter taste in this moment of celebration. Pathan brothers were awesome! :)

However, I think that poster(Prassanna Zore) of such articles should ignore writing such articles that only creates bitter feelings among communities.

Would like to know other debater's views!

Mods- I am not sure if this has been posted or discussed. If it is please feel free to lock it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Pathan brothers should deserve a price money from state......balance all state give 5lacks each to their state players...if Modi ignore the players its very bad....Dont Be Narrrow minded Mr.Modi,Dont think like a Pig🐷....They are good players,They played for India😳....dont bring religious discrimination in Sports Mr. Modi😑 πŸ˜³ Edited by Believe - 16 years ago
greatmaratha thumbnail
Its a shame for individual states to be paying their "state" player. They call "Chak De India" as the inspiration for the current morale of the team, they bring SRK to promote the feelings evoked by Chak De, yet they are unable to appreciate the small point it made - that the players belong and play for INDIA - not for Chandigarh, Karnataka, Sikkim or Delhi.

However, if Modi does not pay the boys any honararium on account of their religion, its a shame.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Nothing bad in it... ,If a state govt Rewards to any player ....its always give encouragement n boost up their ability, cos they grown up as player from that state.....its feel good I think so....😳

Edited by Believe - 16 years ago
season915 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I do think that the award money given to these players is a lot. And I agree with Priya that, after what CDI taught us, the states should not be rewarding players based on regions. The Pathan brothers surely deserved a few appreciative words, but I don't think N. Modi has made a wrong decision by not rewarding any money. If he feels that he can put that money to better use in his state, so be it... who are we to complain?

I do not think that his actions were a result of religious discrimination. He is one ziddi, rigid person and just to prove his point, he may have not congratulated them. But I really do not believe that he did this based on religion.

Edited by rutumodi915 - 16 years ago
greatmaratha thumbnail
There is never ever anything wrong in anything. But there are some things which are right and somethings which can be avoided in favour of a better "right".

The team spirit is high, the morale is high, the players are evenly poised in terms of contribution to the game, then why bring a difference between a Dhoni getting a Jharkhand Ratna and Sreesanth not getting a similar ratna from his home state. Where would Robin Sharma go? He is not a Maharashtrian by birth, so should the Maharashtra Government honour him or should the state from which his ancestors hailed and whose language he speaks honour him? Did Yuvi perform any less than Dhoni? Wasnt Gambhir good? Was Sehwag as good as R. P. Singh?

By encouraging States to honour their players, you are automatically bringing a divide in their minds on which part of India they hail from.... That in my opinion, is bad for any sport, is bad for any sportsman and is generally against good sportsmanship.

season915 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: greatmaratha

By encouraging States to honour their players, you are automatically bringing a divide in their minds on which part of India they hail from.... That in my opinion, is bad for any sport, is bad for any sportsman and is generally against good sportsmanship.

I agree. πŸ‘πŸΌ

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Hockey players consider hunger strike over T20 cash

New Delhi, September 26: Indian hockey players are considering going on hunger strike to protest about the rewards being given to the winning Twenty20 cricket World Cup squad.

National hockey coach Joaquim Carvalho, whose side retained the Asian Cup title this month, said players from the southern Karnataka state were thinking of staging a hunger strike after the state government announced payments only to the Twenty20 squad members from the region.

"We are not upset or jealous with the cricketers, we are proud of them," Carvalho told Reuters by telephone on Wednesday.

"But where were the same state governments when our players did the country proud?

"We're talking about recognition, not just money. We are not that greedy or jealous but we protest against the treatment being meted out to sports other than cricket."

The Twenty20 squad, surprise winners of the tournament in South Africa, arrived in Mumbai on Wednesday to a grand victory parade before being showered with cash awards totalling $3 million by the cricket board.

The players have been promised houses by the team sponsor while Yuvraj Singh, who hit six sixes in one over against England, was presented with a Porsche by a senior board official.

India won eight Olympic hockey gold medals while dominating the sport in the first half of the 20th century but have faded away in the last two decades and have been taken off the government's priority list for financial support.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/ltBgtIndian-hockey-p layers-to-go-on-hunger-strikelt-bgt/221388/

Other articles regarding same...

http://sports.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2404611.cms

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2007/sep/26hock.htm

If state govt can honour and give cash prizes to Indian cricketers after winning the T20 World Cup, then why not to the India Hockey Team, who won one of the prestigious tournament i.e. Asian Cup...? Why this discrimination??? Because cricket is more popular and all the politicans want to be in the limelighted by giving rewards to high profile cricketers. And Hockey is supposed to be our National Game...

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: sweta01

Hockey players consider hunger strike over T20 cash

New Delhi, September 26: Indian hockey players are considering going on hunger strike to protest about the rewards being given to the winning Twenty20 cricket World Cup squad.

National hockey coach Joaquim Carvalho, whose side retained the Asian Cup title this month, said players from the southern Karnataka state were thinking of staging a hunger strike after the state government announced payments only to the Twenty20 squad members from the region.

"We are not upset or jealous with the cricketers, we are proud of them," Carvalho told Reuters by telephone on Wednesday.

"But where were the same state governments when our players did the country proud?

"We're talking about recognition, not just money. We are not that greedy or jealous but we protest against the treatment being meted out to sports other than cricket."

The Twenty20 squad, surprise winners of the tournament in South Africa, arrived in Mumbai on Wednesday to a grand victory parade before being showered with cash awards totalling $3 million by the cricket board.

The players have been promised houses by the team sponsor while Yuvraj Singh, who hit six sixes in one over against England, was presented with a Porsche by a senior board official.

India won eight Olympic hockey gold medals while dominating the sport in the first half of the 20th century but have faded away in the last two decades and have been taken off the government's priority list for financial support.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/ltBgtIndian-hockey-p layers-to-go-on-hunger-strikelt-bgt/221388/

Other articles regarding same...

http://sports.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2404611.cms

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2007/sep/26hock.htm

If state govt can honour and give cash prizes to Indian cricketers after winning the T20 World Cup, then why not to the India Hockey Team, who won one of the prestigious tournament i.e. Asian Cup...? Why this discrimination??? Because cricket is more popular and all the politicans want to be in the limelighted by giving rewards to high profile cricketers. And Hockey is supposed to be our National Game...

Why are we blaming the government and the politicians? Why don't we look at ourseleves? How many of us were here on the forum discussing the Asia Cup final as it was being played? We took the thread from 40-odd pages to more than a 100 pages (loads of spamming included πŸ˜‰) when it was cricket, and all we had was a few congratulatory messages for the Asia Cup victory.

The concept of state-based rewards is inherently flawed as pointed out by Priya. Imagine, Ajit Agarkar getting 10 lakhs for sheer non-performance, and Sreesanth getting just half of that amount.  If the state governments did want to reward the team - they should have pooled all the resources and divided it equally among the entire team.

PS - Just saw on tv - 5 lakhs each to Irfan and Yusuf by Gujarat government - guess they remembered the elections round the corner πŸ˜‰ 

Swar_Raj thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: rutumodi915

I agree. πŸ‘πŸΌ

I donot agree with this statement. A state/city/mohalla and street is where a person's identity is. Playing for India but getting recognization from its own state/city is good. Only to boost your player while match is going on bad but to honor all the players by greeting your own state kid, is an honor to all.

When they loose then also the state player see the wrath of localalites..eg..Dhoni's house was broken. No, I am not encouraging that either. but if they did proud to nation, why the state and city not honor them. May be not by money but praise them in media, honor them in a meet or something.

Same thing should be done to any player of any game. be it shotpu, long jump, hockey, table tennis, chess. Any good player deserves a pat on their back by its own home, home city, home state and ofcourse from our beloved India πŸ˜ƒ