Amul Star Voice of India

Theme of the Week - Folk Songs

kiti_g thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hi All,

Here we are with our second Theme of the Week, albeit a bit late, and this week's theme is -

Songs based on Folk Music

Theme idea credit - Vanajaakshi

So here we go folks ... everything else remains the same ...

List down your favorite folk-based songs

Which contestant would you like to see singing them?

Share related articles and related artistes, folk music of various states and basically anything under the sun related to folk music

Before i end, one request; we have lately seen a lot of new activity on this forum and this topic is for everyone too and not just for a few members. All are welcome to share their thoughts on this and hoping to see many responses to this.

Rgds

Kirti

P.S. Continue sending me future themes ideas via PM.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vanajaakshi thumbnail
There should be a rule that people cannot songs from their region.

Folk songs/ folk-based Hindi film songs from ALL over India:

Dariya kinare ik bangla: Sabse bada rupaiya (Koli): Sung by Irfan and Arshpreet
Kuchi kuchi rakamma: Bombay (Tamilnadu):
Holi ayee re : Mashaal (was earlier a Warli/Raigad folk-based song in Jait re jait): Harshit (should sing the Marathi verse for fun in between)
Doli mein savaar sajni ka pyaar: Balika Badhu (Toshi)
Dholi taro : Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam : Toshi

Looking forward to learning more from all of you. I don't know very much about any of these folk forms. I love Hridayanath Mangeshkar's use of folk music in his soundtracks, and I particularly love his Marathi songs.

smallwonder thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
These are a few songs I like a lot - don know if they qualify as folk songs or not...

Main Awara Ek Banjara(Sangeet)
Zihale Muskin...(Ghulami) Remember that song Sunai deti hai jiski dhadkan hamara dil ya tumhara dil hai..."Koi Shaq"😛
Mere Haathon Mein(Chandni)
Yaara Sili Sili(Lekin)
Suniyo Ji...(Lekin)
Mare Hiwada Mein Naache Mor(Hum Saath Saath Hain)
Tu Meri Zindagi Hai(Aashiqui) - I am referring to it as folk coz it was picturised on a lil tribal girl in the film...
Chane Ke Khet Mein(Anjaam)

astavakra thumbnail
Here are some of my all time favourite folk songs which are immortal gems of Hindi film industry. Some of the songs have that rustic tunes which classify them as folk genre eventhough the lyrics might be in Hindi

1. Teki mein jhoot boliya..Koyna,   Film: Jaagte Raho, Singers: Mohd Rafi & Balbir

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlEEuNw-Kwc

2. Chalat musafir Moh liya re:   Film- Teesri kasam,   Singer:Manna dey

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTDLN05L_o

I consider all songs sung by S D Burman as folk, since he had that "mitti ki sugandh" in his voice.

3. Doli mein bithaii ke kahan:  Film-Amar prem  Singer:S D Burman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8AKNnCwFI

4. Wahan kaun hain tera musafir:  Film:Guide  Singer: S D Burman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG5t1eErbsU

5. Sun mere bandhu re:  Film:Sujata  Singer: S D Burman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXu_lBFAqJY

6. Ore majhi..mere saajan hain us paar:   Film:Bandini  Singer: S D Burman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2I-PB10rQA

7. Saawan ka mahina pawan kare sor  Film:Milan  Singers:Mukesh & Lata mangeshkar

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaAtD3t0iA

8. Gori tera gaon bada pyaara:   Film: Chitchor  Singer:Yesudas

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIHWsu_g5PI 

9. Chad gayo Paapi bichua:  Film: Madhumati  Singers:Manna dey & Lata

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzQjzuFXrU

10. Chunari sambhal gori:  Film:Baharon ke sapne  Singers:Manna dey & Lata
www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/8qImMG1M.d.As1NMvHdW

11. Dukh bhare din beetere bhaiyya:  Film:Mother India  Singers:Asha bhosle,Shamshad begum,Manna dey,Mohd rafi

www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/iVIm4hJrrt.As1NMvHdW

12. Door hai kinara:  Film:Saudagar  Singer:Manna dey

www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/H53m-n1fxd.As1NMvHdW

13. Ek pardesi mera dil le gaya:  Film:Phagun  Singers:Mohd Rafi, Asha bhosle
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagNpcHTz1Y

14. Door koi gaaye Dhun yeh sunaaye:  Film:Baiju bawra Singers:Shamsad begum, Asha bhosle, Mohd rafi

www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/xJQmhpv2xS.As1NMvHdW

15. Goriya kaha tera des re:  Film:Caravan  Singers:Mohd rafi, Asha bhosle

www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/RJImXOZzVt.As1NMvHdW

16. Jhumka gira re bareilly ke:  Film:Mera saaya  Singer:Asha bhosle

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMghF-0mi5I

17. Main Jat Yamla pagla deewana:  Film:Pratigya  Singer:Mohd Rafi

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a31WAAjqrOc

18. Nain ladjai hain:  Film:Ganga Jamuna  Singer:Mohd Rafi

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9bs5bCLlvE

19. Yeh desh hain veer jawanon ka:  Film:Naya daur  Singer:Mohd Rafi, Balbir

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnPJY_o7tw

20. Maajhi nayya dhoondhe kinara:   Film:Uphaar  Singer:Mukesh

www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/K6Om8fjTmd.As1NMvHdW

....Will be posting more songs....
Edited by astavakra - 16 years ago
astavakra thumbnail
INDIAN FOLK MUSIC

by David Courtney

India has a very rich tradition of folk music. The extreme cultural diversity creates endless varieties of folk styles. Each region has its own particular style.

There is a tendency to lump folk music along with tribal music. There is actually a difference. Where folk music is a mere rustic reflection of the larger Indian society, tribal music often represents cultures that are very different. Some of these tribal cultures are throwbacks to cultural conditions as they were thousands of years ago.

Tribal and folk music is not taught in the same way that Indian classical music is taught. There is no formal period of apprenticeship where the student is able to devote their entire life to learning the music, the economics of rural life does not permit this sort of thing. The musical practitioners must still attend to their normal duties of hunting, agriculture or whatever their chosen profession is.

Music in the villages is learned almost by osmosis. From childhood the music is heard and imbibed along with ones mother's milk. There are numerous public activities that allow the villagers to practice and hone their skills. These are the normal functions which syncronize village life with the universe.

The music is an indispensable component of functions such as weddings, engagements, and births. There is a plethora of songs for such occasions. There are also many songs associated with planting and harvesting. In these activities the villagers routinely sing of their hopes, fears and aspirations.

Folk music is also used for educational purposes. For instance sex education has traditionally been taught in Andhra Pradesh by song. There is a function when a girl has her first menses. In this function the elderly women in the community gather at the house (men are definitely excluded), the girl is given her first woni and langa (half sari which is worn by unmarried girls), rich food and other gifts. During this function the women sing songs that are extremely bawdy. To an outsider this would seem uncharacteristic of obviously respectable community members. However the function of such songs is to provide the girl's first instructions on her emerging womanhood and what her future marital duties will be.

Musical instruments are often different from those found in classical music. Although instruments like the tabla may sometimes be found it is more likely that cruder drums such as daf, dholak, or nal will be used. The sitar and sarod which are so common in the classical genre are absent in the folk music. One often finds instruments such as the ektar, dotar, saringda, rabab, and santur. Quite often they will not even be called these names, but may be named according to their local dialect. There are also instruments which are used only in particular folk styles in particular regions. These instruments are innumerable.

The instruments that folk musicians use are generally not as refined as the classical musicians use. The instruments of classical music are crafted by artisans whose only job is the fabrication of musical instruments. In contrast the folk instruments are commonly crafted by the musicians themselves.

It is very common to find folk instruments that have been fabricated of commonly available materials. Skin, peritoneum, bamboo, coconut shells, and pots are but a few commonly available materials used to make musical instruments
FOLK MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

* Bansuri - bamboo flute
    * Chimpta - fire tongs
    * Daf - frame drum
    * Dholak - barrel drum
    * Dholki - barrel drum
    * Dotar - simple lute
    * Ektar - simple lute
    * Gettuvadyam - hammered lute
    * Ghatam - clay pot
    * Ghungharu - small bells
    * Kartal - wooden clappers
    * Khol - clay drum
    * Magadi Vina - bamboo lute
    * Murchang - jaw harp
    * Naggada - kettle drums
    * Nakula - bamboo lute
    * Pung - drum
    * Pungi - snake charmer's instrument
    * Rabab - lute
    * Santur - hammered dulcimer
    * Saringda - simple fiddle
    * Shankh - conch shell
    * Gopichand - one stringed instrument
    * Thanthi Panai - pot drum
    * Pena - simple one string bowed instrument
    * Damaru - hourglass drum
    * Idakka and Udaku - hourglass drums

Source:http://chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/folk_m usic.html
Edited by astavakra - 16 years ago
vanajaakshi thumbnail
In the Reflections thread, Jaya mentioned this song:

Galyat Sankali Sonachi - East Indian/ Konkani -- Dil Hai ki Manta Nahin.

Bachke Rehna and Jane Jigar from Amitabh Bachchan's Pukar also have snatches of melody and rhythms from Baila, a form of music common to Goa and Sri Lanka (although the name is used in Sri Lanka). It is one of the Portuguese legacies in the subcontinent.
ajooni thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
hey thanks astavakra! greats songs 👏 .links do help in listening instantly.
kiti_g thumbnail
wikipedia has some info on the various types of folk music in india ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_India#Folk_music

i feel hindi film music is most influenced by punjabi and rajasthani folk ...

some songs from my side -
ni main yaar manana ni - not arshpreet 😛 sumitra/mirande

kesariya balma - abhilasha/arshpreet

oh main to bhool chali babul ka des - priyani

dola re dola re dil dola man dola - abhilasha and priyani

will come up with more soon ...
vanajaakshi thumbnail
I think this is a phase when punjabi and rajasthani music are influential. the music of sd burman and salil choudhury had bengali influences. rd burman and shankar-ehsaan-loy have a lot of baila beats in their music. And then garba music is also often used: the dandiya song in Dil hi dil mein or more famously, Saraswati Chandra's 'Main to bhool gayi babul ka des.'
*Jaya* thumbnail
You are very right Vanaja... the MDs you quoted very very much influenced by the folk of their region... In recent times, I think Adesh Srivastava has composed a lot getting inspired from folk... and offlate, it has been Shantanu Moitra as well to carry fwd that trend...

I also concur that the last thing the contestants should do is attempt folk from their region.. I would not want Arshpreet to sing another Punjabi influenced song or Sumitra to sing a lavni...

Some of the songs that are coming to my mind at this moment are:

1. Ganga aaye kahaa se - Bengal folk - Probably Ishmeet will do very well in this one...
2. Kariyo na kariyo na (Taal) - I think will suit Irfaan
3. Deewana huya baadal (Kashmir ki kali) - Cant think of a better person than Abhaas

Will come back and post more later...