Interview with Prashant Tamang...

Posted: 16 years ago

"My senior officers will decide my future"

- Prashant Tamang Very rarely do you meet a policeman who can sing romantic songs. Indian Idol contestant Prashant Tamang, from Darjeeling, is a constable with Kolkata police who dreamt of becoming a singer. Though he never received any training, he listened to songs and picked up tunes. Once in the force, he joined its orchestra group and soon became popular.

Today, with the encouragement of his seniors and fellow constables, he is one of the 11 finalists of Indian Idol. Now, this soft-spoken policeman dreams of becoming a playback singer.

A singing policeman on the stage of Indian Idol. How did this happen? I am a police constable. I joined Kolkata police force in 2002 and was in the special action force till 2006. At the end of 2006, an orchestra was formed within the department and I got a chance to perform in it. I gained a lot of confidence facing the audience there. I never really watch Indian Idol, I never had the time. My seniors and colleagues encouraged me to participate and it is because of them that I am here today. Despite being in special action force, did you secretly dream of becoming a singer? Yes, I did dream of becoming a singer, but never thought it was possible. My father was in police and so my family expected me to become a policeman, too. But now I have the support of my colleagues. Are you married? Or do you have a girlfriend? No, I am not married. And I don't have a girlfriend yet. How do you rate your chances of winning the title? Every contestant here is talented, some of them much more than me. I can win only if I perform really well. I want to request the janta to vote for the best singers. True talent should come up. India needs good singers and the deserving one should get the votes. I don't want to leave my friends behind just to climb the ladder. They're like my family now. It makes me sad when anyone is eliminated. Will you give up your job if you win the title? If I win the title, I will do is talk to my seniors in the force and consult them about what to do. I've to get their permission. Of course, I dream of becoming a playback singer, but at the moment there are tough decisions to be taken. I cannot leave the police force. It is because of them that I am here today. We'll just have to see what happens later. Which music directors do you dream of working with? My favourite music directors are Jatin Lalit. If I win, and get a chance to sing for them, it will be a dream come true. Who is your favourite judge and why? Anu Maliik. He is very straightforward and says what is right, on your face. I don't feel bad about itβ€”it is important that we know our flaws at this stage. Why are the performances a little low key in the Galas? Yes, I agree the performances are not up to the mark. I guess we all are very tense and under pressure. Performances will definitely be better this week. I am trying hard to improve my performance. You looked good in your suit. Are you concentrating on grooming yourself? If we look good, we will become popular and thus get more votes. That is the only reason for my interest in designer clothes. Now that we have designers working for us, I would definitely like to take advantage of the opportunity. Any message for your fans?

I am the first Nepali to be on this stage. I am sure my achievement is a matter of pride for the whole Nepali community across the world.

omg.. he doesnt has any girlfren. i can b the one..
How do you rate your chances of winning the title?

Every contestant here is talented, some of them much more than me. I can win only if I perform really well. I want to request the janta to vote for the best singers. True talent should come up. India needs good singers and the deserving one should get the votes.

I don't want to leave my friends behind just to climb the ladder. They're like my family now. It makes me sad when anyone is eliminated.

-------------------

VERY NICCE ANSWER
thanx..
he is such a nice person...
he is my idolll.... 😳 😳
wow he is so kind person
i wish if i was in india but i m in usa if i was there then i would definitely meet him and would take a autograph 😳 πŸ˜†

Originally posted by lamansu

wow he is so kind person
i wish if i was in india but i m in usa if i was there then i would definitely meet him and would take a autograph 😳 πŸ˜†

oh yeah.... by tah way... your also frm nepal right😳

welll... he's a nice person 😳 😳
thanx so much!
i love this guy's voice πŸ˜ƒ
thanks 4 sharin!! i luv his voice..its awesome!! i wish he leaves the police force and becomes a playback singer
thanks fo sharing...his amswers r so diplomatic...very nice to c 😊