Song-less movie and Song "less -movies"

*dolly* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

A boy meets a girl, they run around trees , sing soft numbers, a villain tries to snatch her, boy fights him for her, wins her and they lived happily ever after….is that we hear about indian cinema?....Indian drama is a blend of co-ordinated sequence of : speech, dance, song, comedy, relief, conflict, solution to the conflict. Almost all the indian movies have a complete blend of these ingredients with exceptions of songless movies like Black...or song"less-movies"movies where songs are the main content shadowing everything else...one such old movie comes to mind is Navrang....

lets discuss ..

1.The "song-less movies( without songs) and song "less -movies"( music is main focus)..

2.There impact on the story 

3. perhaps how they performed on Box office..

4.What would be your personal choice?

5.How much you value background music in song-less movies( without songs)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*dolly* thumbnail
There is one more thing that is worth pondering is..based on "the golden era" music and todays music and type of music industry we have and With the current trend of music, lyrics..etc

.. lets consider for a minute the liklihood of "golden era" coming back is like a remote chance( in my opinion)..It will be something to charish ..and that today's commercial cinema tends to be of "low quality"..

What do you think of private bands could take responsibility of bringing high-calibre-songs and it should be strickly be the business of "musical artists" and movies would adopt strictly the goal of creative storytelling ??
*dolly* thumbnail
I will post a short list of songless fims( as reported in a newspaper) but before that I would like to share a article written by S.D Burman in the Magazine "Cine Advance" dated September 8,1966...

article follows... Edited by *dolly* - 16 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail

S.D. Burman speaks on songless Indian movies..

The main factor in the film is its story. Everything else, including songs and background music, serve only as a fine embroidery to improve and enhance the impact and beauty of the story content. Hence it is a logical argument that if the film has a powerful and gripping script that holds the audience interest from beginning to end , then I agree that the other paraphernalia like songs, dances and even other allied embellishments are not a must.
While songless films are a rarity in Hindi, they are common on the Bengali screen. For the reason I enumerated above and because being regional films with limited markets which stands in the way of their affording costly production values, they give powerful story content instead, which balances the absence of songs in those films. There is also the case of Satyajit Ray
who makes internationally acclaimed films, and most of his films don't carry songs. As I said he compensates this with his camera work and engrossing direction.
But songs are very necessary in musical films. Even here care has to be taken in their use. If songs are not properly utilized and merged with the film as a whole, they create the hindrance which affects the continuity of the story.It is this aspect which causes all these complaints in Indian films. It's not that the people don't like and enjoy songs as such; it's how they are presented in the film which matters to them while witnessing a film.
Many a time even best songs are wasted either by placing them in odd situations or by picturising them badly. People get disgusted with the results and they adopt the surgical course of saving themselves from this evil - they walk out of the auditorium and have a quick cup of tea or their puffs of smoke.The fault in this case doesn't lie with the music director. The matter is out of his hands the moment a song is properly recorded. But even before that it is the director who decides the necessity of a song in a particular sequence. And what type or kind of songs it should be. It is also left to him whether he gets the required results after picturisation.
I personally believe that instead of placing a song in an unwanted position it should be removed entirely. An out-of-place song is the most horrible thing imaginable in a movie.Finally the question of having songless films as a regular feature in India is a very risky proposition. In fact it's the songs which are the main prop of an ordinary film with a weak story and inefficient direction.
Even in the case of films having powerful themes, should direction lack deftness, the characters do not register properly , the sequences lack the easy flow of continuous motion; and at the same time- suppose by a stroke of luck or by calculations- the songs prove popular, they become the sole saving grace of the movie. It may save it from becoming a fantastic flop. This is the silver lining which will make songs a " must " in Indian films for years to come.

Edited by *dolly* - 16 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail
From local newspaper:

The following films did not have any song in them:( i am not sure if all are correct..)

Ab tak chhappan
Achaanak
bhuut
Daranaa manaa hai
Hawaa
ittafaaq
jaago
Jab raat hotii hai
kagaar
Kaun
Mumbai Express
Qanoon (1960)
puShpak (dialogue less film)
Yaade.n (1964)
Vastu shaashtr
White noise
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: *dolly*

From local newspaper:

The following films did not have any song in them:( i am not sure if all are correct..)

Ab tak chhappan
Achaanak
bhuut
Daranaa manaa hai
Hawaa
ittafaaq
jaago
Jab raat hotii hai
kagaar
Kaun
Mumbai Express
Qanoon (1960)
Yaade.n (1964)
Vastu shaashtr
White noise

jaane bhi do yaaro

*dolly* thumbnail
did darna mana hein had song in the movie?..or just the CD...
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

1.song "less -movies"( music is main focus)..

It would be "Ashique" (Rahul Roy and Annu Agarwal fame )

*dolly* thumbnail

From local newspaper:

Ab tak chhappan
Achaanak
bhuut
Daranaa manaa hai
Hawaa
ittafaaq
jaago
Jab raat hotii hai
kagaar
Kaun
Mumbai Express
Qanoon (1960)
Yaade.n (1964)
Vastu shaashtr
White noise

another one is Chor Chor by Vijay anand..

*dolly* thumbnail

another one is Chor Chor by Vijay anand..

Aspi's Naujawan -  First song-less film of the talkie era and the
background score was done by Master Mohammed.

Edited by *dolly* - 16 years ago