Debate Mansion

7 wonders of the world campaign. A fraud?

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/marketing-taj-a-wonderful-money- spinner/43839-3.html

New Delhi: It's an invitation that's hard to resist especially when it comes with a strong suggestion of judging you on how patriotic you are. Also thrown in is a chance for you to participate in making history. So, no wonder then that everyone wants to contribute to helping the Taj Mahal make it to the Seven Wonders of the World list.

And the countdown for the new Seven Wonders list has begun with five days to go for the announcement.

"Type TAJ and SMS it to 4567. People please vote," says a student, Vipul Malhotra.

While another student and Taj enthusiast, Ipsanah Rashid Khan appeals, "I request everyone to please vote for the Taj Mahal."

The euphoria perhaps is well deserved. After all, it's only now that the new Seven Wonders list will be drawn but the inclusion itself may not translate into actual results for the Taj.

"The Seven Wonders list is a completely unofficial and meaningless one. However, it has been very exciting to see the euphoria but the real achievement will be if this great mass movement gets more people involved with heritage sites," Conservation Architect Ratish Nanda says.

Taj itself gains little from this list, as it has no relief from stinking riverfront or addition to funds for its upkeep or even a sudden spurt of tourists.

But the foundation behind the campaign has its commerce worked out – there are coffee mugs, T-shirts, bags, official new Seven Wonder pins that can be bought on the website. Also on offer are tours, screensavers and an official song.

"It is a marketing ploy to generate revenues through the Internet. So, the question is are all these ways of making personal gains?" Nanda asks.

Inclusion or no inclusion, Shah Jehan's white wonder will always remain an architectural marvel – an ode to romance and historic splendour.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

penguin man thumbnail
I do believe that the whole idea of Taj Mahal being removed from the 7 wonders of the world is a marketing idea or just a rumor. There is no way you can take a "wonder" and replace it with something new or something with a spiritual meaning. I don't know why the rumor is going around, but it's never going to happen.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Actually the this has been an old problem with us Indians, kuchh dikhta nahi aisa contest ki crazy ho jaate hain.

Once again our idiot media is on forefront, every news channel is beaming something or other about this contest. And we are crazily voting, without realising that the organisers of this contest have no authority or mandate to declare any such offical list. Do you see anyone in US/EU/China/Japan etc bothering so much about this contest..as if it were a matter of national prestige, lekim hum aise hi hain.
mermaid_QT thumbnail
It beats me that we don't show signs of caring about Mother Earth.. what's with the man made wonders?
sohn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Its amazin how ppl have started believing in internet n mobile polls and take them to be genuine.

I was one of them πŸ˜• till Amey Date was evicted from Idian Idol, I actually thought it was a genuine stuff going on there from SonyπŸ˜• cus its on one of the prime channels of Indian television! But I guess, everyone is after making money, lots n lots of money. The earlier everyone realises it, the better.
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

It beats me that we don't show signs of caring about Mother Earth.. what's with the man made wonders?

I loved this statement QT...πŸ‘..Something to ponder about...
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I hate the whole idea of

• 7 seven wonders
  • Miss Univ/Mess Univ

Ratings and contests!! These are not standard!

There are wonderful wonders in this world and who are some set of people to decide them! We have 7 billion wonders and when we visit each thing ,we find it to be a wonder!

Even beauty is also a relative concept! I find somany non-contestants of beauty contests to be beautiful than the so called titled Miss Univ/Miss World!!

I did'nt vote to this vote for taj ... as it makes  not impact on the adoration I've on Taj Mahal immaterial of its 7 wonders or 70 wonders state!😊

Wishes,

Myth

SolidSnake thumbnail

http://newspostindia.com/report-4642

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&am p;item_no=157090&version=1&template_id=40&parent _id=22

'Vote For Taj' Campaign A Gimmick, Say Officials

Sunday 24th of June 2007 The credibility of the much-hyped campaign to vote the Taj Mahal as one of the world's seven new wonders is now in question.

'The New 7 Wonders of the World' campaign has been launched by the owner of a Swiss website. 'The whole campaign is a media hoax,' says Surendra Sharma, president of the Braj Mandal Heritage Conservation Society here. 'How can the whole government machinery be used to hype a campaign launched by a private entrepreneur?'

Sudhir Kumar, the Agra chief of the Indian government's tourism department, admitted that the campaign was a private one and those supporting it were doing so in their private capacity.

'The campaign is not backed by any government agency, though we feel it is good and in the interest of the tourism industry as a whole to promote the Taj Mahal,' Kumar told IANS.

K. Mishra, a senior official in the Uttar Pradesh tourism department, said his office had nothing to do with the campaign.

K.K. Sharma of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) here described the campaign as 'economic exploitation of the sentiments of the Indian people. No two monuments are alike and they should not be compared.

'It is an injustice to the status and dignity of the Taj Mahal.'

But the ASI has circulated banners and pamphlets appealing to people to vote for the Taj though this initiative has reportedly been taken by its Bhopal circle.

The tourism industry has been promoting the campaign in its own interest. Several government agencies and voluntary groups have also got involved.

District Magistrate Mukesh Meshram headed a procession this week to mobilise votes for the Taj.

Mughal historian R. Nath says the whole campaign is uncalled for. 'The Taj is already a taj (crown). It needs no certification from any authority.'

The people on the street here do not know who has promoted the campaign, but think it is the government. One hotelier said: 'We thought it must be a government-supported campaign since the district authorities were taking so much interest.'

Unesco, which runs the World Heritage Programme, has denied that it has anything to do with this campaign.

mermaid_QT thumbnail
something funny :)

turns out that NRIs have to pay Rs 750 to view TajMahal, while residents pay something less that 50. FAIR DEAL πŸ‘ πŸ‘ .

Next is fun part-
To use the rest rooms (toilets), NRIs don't have to pay anything, while residents are charged some fees πŸ˜†

That's what I say about respecting the monument. Desi pride, country-pride.. endless voting, voting even for mediocrity such as Sanjay in American idol is all fine..
But first people should start ACTUAALY RESPECTING the monuments, historical structures, natural and man-made wonders we are BLESSED to have 😳
We contribute to 1/6th of the world's population for crying out loud.. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Hell yes, we can can vote it to be the first and only wonder if required! But what I would love to see is for my brothers and sisters to actually treat it right.. I am glad the cleanliness campaign is catching up and we are progressing well, so I heard! The ticket for locals in rest room cracked me up πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
sohn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

something funny :)

turns out that NRIs have to pay Rs 750 to view TajMahal, while residents pay something less that 50. FAIR DEAL πŸ‘ πŸ‘ .

Next is fun part-
To use the rest rooms (toilets), NRIs don't have to pay anything, while residents are charged some fees πŸ˜†

That's what I say about respecting the monument. Desi pride, country-pride.. endless voting, voting even for mediocrity such as Sanjay in American idol is all fine..
But first people should start ACTUAALY RESPECTING the monuments, historical structures, natural and man-made wonders we are BLESSED to have 😳
We contribute to 1/6th of the world's population for crying out loud.. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Hell yes, we can can vote it to be the first and only wonder if required! But what I would love to see is for my brothers and sisters to actually treat it right.. I am glad the cleanliness campaign is catching up and we are progressing well, so I heard! The ticket for locals in rest room cracked me up πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Second that! You couldn't have put it better than that Di  πŸ‘

Its not jus the Taj, it applies to so many other monuments or places of history, art and culture.

I see a drastic difference when it comes to places like these in India and in the UK. In UK, I think they maintain even the weirdest of the historical places as if it was some sacrosanct place of God. I once walked into a neat n beautiful old monument kinda thing in the outskirts of Scotland...the place around it was beautiful too, well maintained and kept clean. When I went inside, there was nothin there, just walls! πŸ˜• The guide told us with pride that its a place when some well known xyz dood had rested overnite before the war started or something like that. Sorry I cant even remember the details πŸ˜• And I was wonderin, what the hell are they maintaining so amazingly? Four walls n the garden of a few hundred yr old building?!

And to compare and think of maintaining our places of heritage art n history at the same level in India...well...there are no two ways, it has to start with the our people respecting those first and keeping them clean.