coolniyu thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hi everyone! It's time for the next Discussion of the Week here at Tales Corner πŸ˜‰

Without further ado I'll post this week's topic...😳...

Criticisms-what is their limit?

Well no writer is perfect-one writes for others to read and not everyone is going to love what youve written...

Criticisms are only going to help us improve-they are part and parcel of writing and are in fact necessary for one to improve.

I agree they cant go too far...but how far is too far?

And how seriously should a writer take his/her criticisms?

Fire away your opinions!! We're all waiting πŸ˜‰

Topic Idea-Harshu[xMarauderx]..thanx yaar πŸ€—

Cheers,

Tales Corner Development Team

Edited by coolniyu - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
Originally posted by: coolniyu

Hi everyone! It's time for the next Discussion of the Week here at Tales Corner πŸ˜‰

Without further ado I'll post this week's topic...😳...

Criticisms-what is their limit?

Well no writer is perfect-one writes for others to read and not everyone is going to love what youve written...

Criticisms are only going to help us improve-they are part and parcel of writing and are in fact necessary for one to improve.

I agree they cant go too far...but how far is too far?

If criticism is given just for the sake of demeaning someone, its going too far. There should be a validity to the criticism. Just because you have a personal bias for a certain style of fiction or non-fiction, you shouldn't try to impose it on other people with different styles. That is why its really important to have an open mind for new things. There is a difference between trashing someone and giving constructive critisim.

And how seriously should a writer take his/her criticisms?

I don't speak for everyone, but just myself. I listen to all criticism that is given to me. What makes sense, I keep with me. What doesn't make sense goes out of my other ear.

Fire away your opinions!! We're all waiting πŸ˜‰

Cheers,

Tales Corner Development Team

coolestme7 thumbnail
Well excellent topic...

As much as criticisms help to improve a person's writing ... I agree there has to be a limit.

For a story to be accepted well it should meet the readers needs. There maybe 1000s of readers and its very difficult to impress everyone.

All the writers can do is try to keep in mind the suggestions put forth by the readers. They can't take each and every suggestion as it'll only distract the originality of the writer.

Basic errors like grammar and typos must be corrected. I think each and every writer should have their own style, stick to it and try to improve it gradually (again, which can be done only by writing more and more). As long as the story makes sense and sticks to the plot the writer is in no trouble.

I don't think I really put foreword what I really wanted to.. πŸ˜† . But my suggestion... Try to improve on all grounds without losing the individual style...

God !!! I messed this one up 😭

Cheers!!!
coolestme7 thumbnail
Well excellent topic...

As much as criticisms help to improve a person's writing ... I agree there has to be a limit.

For a story to be accepted well it should meet the readers needs. There maybe 1000s of readers and its very difficult to impress everyone.

All the writers can do is try to keep in mind the suggestions put forth by the readers. They can't take each and every suggestion as it'll only distract the originality of the writer.

Basic errors like grammar and typos must be corrected. I think each and every writer should have their own style, stick to it and try to improve it gradually (again, which can be done only by writing more and more). As long as the story makes sense and sticks to the plot the writer is in no trouble.

I don't think I really put foreword what I really wanted to.. πŸ˜† . But my suggestion... Try to improve on the grounds suggested by readers without losing the individual style...

God !!! I messed this one up 😭

Cheers!!!
coolniyu thumbnail
great post Tanaz πŸ˜ƒ
n wow elephant well said πŸ‘πŸ€—
n ppl i am sooooooooooo sorry i just realised i forgot to credit harshu-shes the one who came up with this topic n PM'd me big big big big big apologies yaar 😳
ppl this topic was entirely Harshu's [xMarauderx] idea 😳

anyway as for my own views..i agree personal biases should not figure in your criticisms..

and like elley said its very hard to impress everyone..so a writer should use his own judgement and check which criticism makes sense..and work upon those..😳
Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Well...criticisms...to be honest, I get easily disheartened whenever I read a negative review. But I manao-fy myself after reading it...

As for criticism...it should be constructive and over all said in a good manner...in a nice way. That will inspire the writer to rectify his/her mistakes and do better next time. Just criticizing a fic just for the heck of it or if you have a biased attitude towards the writer or style of writing or even couple about whom the fic is about...then it's better to be a silent reader and not comment on it.

It's not nice to judge something, you yourself don' like before you ever opened the fic!
But I think you can easily distinguish between good readers and the bad flamers...
The people who just want to flame your story...they'll write non sense posts with only demeaning words written in them. Something like: U sucks...crap story
etc etc. So I try not to care much about these flamers!
Eloquent thumbnail
Originally posted by: coolniyu

n ppl i am sooooooooooo sorry i just realised i forgot to credit harshu-shes the one who came up with this topic n PM'd me big big big big big apologies yaar 😳
ppl this topic was entirely Harshu's [xMarauderx] idea 😳

I expect a full written apology from your side for this blatant ignorance of following the phrase: Credit given where credit due

πŸ˜†
~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail

Originally posted by: xMarauderx

Well...criticisms...to be honest, I get easily disheartened whenever I read a negative review. But I manao-fy myself after reading it...

As for criticism...it should be constructive and over all said in a good manner...in a nice way. That will inspire the writer to rectify his/her mistakes and do better next time. Just criticizing a fic just for the heck of it or if you have a biased attitude towards the writer or style of writing or even couple about whom the fic is about...then it's better to be a silent reader and not comment on it.

It's not nice to judge something, you yourself don' like before you ever opened the fic!
But I think you can easily distinguish between good readers and the bad flamers...
The people who just want to flame your story...they'll write non sense posts with only demeaning words written in them. Something like: U sucks...crap story
etc etc. So I try not to care much about these flamers!

You know, i agree with you completely!!!! I do get a little low wen i get a bad review... and yes you can see the diference between the good oned and the flamers...

Personally i love constructive critisism... but the kind of reviews i like are the ones that tell you what they liked and what they didnt about the story... i mean the kind of reviews that say "great!" "continue soon :D" all those are very bugging! too short nd basically i consider them as spam posts u knw!!!!

Ok coming to revviews... constructive critisism we should be able to take! like appu said we cannot catr to evryone! some people will like what we write and some will not! Once we accept this, i think we can take constructive critisism...

And i love CC cos we can work on our writing, get better and all that! I love the reviews that tanu or sam gives telling u what they liked and what they didnt.. but in the midst of this all a harshu ka review is very nice because she gives CC... i mean the honesty is what i like!!!!

And that helps me improve evrytime!!!!!

But as far as i have seen i have had a few flamers... but the CC has never gone too far... nd the people who dont like my story for biased reasons have said so... like a few people say "I am not that into marauder era so excuse me if i am a little harsh" thats what has happened, and again, that tells you how seriously you can take the review...

now i have no idea how to conclude this so ill just say

toodles πŸ˜ƒ

❀️Ysh❀️

coolniyu thumbnail

Originally posted by: xMarauderx

I expect a full written apology from your side for this blatant ignorance of following the phrase: Credit given where credit due

πŸ˜†

Respected James ji,

I hereby proclaim that this topic was suggested by you, you and only you. All due credit is honourably loaded onto ur head.

I summon all the courage from the innermost recesses of my heart and present my due apologies to you, and i sincerely hope u accept it.

Thanking you

Yours Sincerely

Sirius

😳

ohk before im kicked out of my own forum for spamming--ysh n harshu great posts...agree with both of yu..technically i donno how i feel abt bad reviews..i guess if theyre biased i couldnt care less..if theyre sensible i luv it..and in general yeah i am disheartened a bit πŸ˜• but i only change if i feel d absolute need to πŸ˜³πŸ˜ƒ

Eloquent thumbnail
Originally posted by: ~Sirius*Ysh~

Personally i love constructive critisism... but the kind of reviews i like are the ones that tell you what they liked and what they didnt about the story... i mean the kind of reviews that say "great!" "continue soon :D" all those are very bugging! too short nd basically i consider them as spam posts u knw!!!!

And i love CC cos we can work on our writing, get better and all that! I love the reviews that tanu or sam gives telling u what they liked and what they didnt.. but in the midst of this all a harshu ka review is very nice because she gives CC... i mean the honesty is what i like!!!!

I HATE, absolutely pathetically loathe such kind of reviews! This is the reason I discontinued 'The Outsider' and have discontinued 'Taciturn'
Reviews like: cont soon, nice, tfs, etc etc bug me out n I just feel like dunking the person in a bucket of water...talk abt 'chullu bhar pani'πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

As for my reviews...I hv never considered mine as 'CC'...just basically review what I feel! But thanx for 'honesty' tagπŸ˜†πŸ˜†