Kareena Kareena

Chowtime (KULRAJ RANDHAWA)

Nankri thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

I donno if this has been shared already:-

Double Impact!

She's young, impatient, self-reliant, determined and level-headed too - no wonder she manages to juggle two characters in her serial Kareena Kareena on Zee TV. The twenty-something Kulraj Randhawa is an energetic gal full of life. Once she made up her mind to follow her dream of becoming an actress, she didn't mind the trip from Chandigarh to Mumbai and landed with her first serial, Kareena Kareena.

We meet this excited and enthusiastic Taurean, who's upbeat about the dual role and the feedback she's getting about it and her performance. A chat with the upcoming telebabe!

"I possess a natural style of acting!"

"Did I always want to be an actress? No, it was by chance that acting happened. Initially I wasn't too sure whether I should opt for it or not, but later on when I realized that I had a good chance of making it in the field, I held on with both hands and am here to stay. I had confidence in myself and so I wanted to at least give it a try. I possess a natural style of acting, which, perhaps, attracted the producers of Kareena Kareena. I always try to bring in variety where emotions are concerned and also add spice to the scenes. I guess I've learnt a lot while on the job and with every day I am evolving as an actress. I am an avid learner and do my best to grasp techniques and tips from one and all. I'd hate to be stereotyped. I am more for positive roles than negative ones… at least for now."

"Kkusum, Jassi… are launched as 'different' stories but end up being clichd sob stories."

"A management graduate from Bangalore University, I did a short acting stint with Kishore Namit Kapoor. I was in Mumbai for the last 18 months. Kareena Kareena landed in my lap. Soon after my stint with Kapoor ended, offers began coming in but I did not snatch everything that came my way. I waited for something that I liked to come my way. I then got a call for Kareena Kareena. It's not a Kkusum or Jassi… type of role that is advertised as 'different' but ends up as a 'sob story'. I was attracted to the script, which was really very appealing, funny and exciting. It has a twist in every episode, something like a climax or anti-climax. This serial has helped me carve a niche for myself."

"Like the serial, life too is full of twists."

"The USP of the serial is its bubbly feel, freshness and humour, which appeals to audiences. The serial stands out among others. The situations are simple and real. One can easily relate to them. It's a natural story, a situational comedy with situations that can occur in the life of any girl struggling in life. Life is really full of twists and so even our tagline is apt (laughs). What attracted me to Kareena Kareena was the chance of playing dual characters who are busy with different careers. Kareena Sood is a married woman while the other character is a Radio Jockey. She lies, gets stuck in situations and manages to wriggle out of them successfully. The script is amazing. I don't think the audience has come across such a situational comedy in recent times. Both characters are very close to me. While the first one is all-girl, the RJ speaks in an uninhibited manner."

"I have the best of both characters."

"In real life I'd love to be an RJ, but in the serial I love playing both. I guess I want to prove myself in both the roles that are different, yet same. It's a fine line that I have to tread which empowers me get up every morning to go to shoot. From among the two roles I feel, in real life, I am a mix of both. I have the best of both characters in reality. I am a perfect blend of the two. I am not shy but I neither am I outspoken. So I guess it's a delicate balance (laughs). I am bubbly, tomboyish, and you could say 'high on life'. I'm also a restless person and a bit reserved too. I don't party much. I'd rather chill with my friends in a restaurant or at home. I am basically a happy person. I can't lie through my hat like Kareena, though. The biggest lies I've told are the common ones. 'Being stuck in traffic' is one and 'My phone was busy' is the other."

"I've become used to the fast pace of Mumbai living."

"We're a small family. There's my father who's an army man, mum and an older sister. Initially my parents were worried about this career and my decision to live in Mumbai and pursue acting. But they were very supportive of everything I wanted to do. Now they watch my episodes without fail. They think it's me talking to them via the TV set and not the character. I used to miss them earlier during my initial days of adjusting to a new city, living at a family friend's place. But I soon got used to the fast of this city. Now I love this city. I did my schooling at a boarding school, the Army Public School, Simla. A boarding school upbringing helped to make me independent and learn a lot about life. I love sports for I played squash at the State level. My other loves include, soccer, driving, horse riding and other outdoor sports."

"A few years from now I hope I become a good actress in the top order."

"I don't want to cry on screen, make my family or the audience cry. I want to do stuff that relaxes one's nerves and is more vibrant. I will also not play a mother to a girl my age. If I have to age in this serial later, I'll most definitely quit. Other television offers will have to wait for I want to concentrate only on Kareena Kareena. Since it's a daily sitcom the work is hectic. I shoot 16 hours a day. I love the positive feedback that I've got, so I don't mind working 24 hours at a stretch too (laughs). People have told me that I am a natural and that they can relate to me. It feels nice. A few years from now I hope I become a good actress in the top order. I am working hard at it now."

"I don't need to show my skin, to prove that I can act."

"Films might happen in the future. I'm open about them. But let me wait for a year or so. Earlier I had thought of films but that was before Kareena Kareena happened. But the film offers were of bold characters which did not satisfy me. I want to do roles in films that an entire family can watch. Newcomers today are asked to do 'bold' scenes, but I don't need to show my skin to prove that I can act. There are good makers too who do not want their heroines to strip to make a hit film."

"Guys try to impress me with one-liners."

"The first reaction I get from fans, 'Excuse me, are you really Kareena?' always makes me smile. Though I have been accosted at restaurants, malls and on the street I never tire or get irritated with my fans. While most of my fans are kids, there are guys too who try to impress me with one-liners. But I tell them that I am single and not yet ready to mingle (laughs).

Edited by barbie - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Reemz* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 18 years ago
Thank you! Never read it before!
prem_diwani thumbnail