NEW SCENES IN THE TITLE SONG!

Posted: 19 years ago
There were several new scenes in the title song shown today, and we have a good idea of things to come. One important scene was Leela shown in front of a typewriter in an office. Did anyone else notice the scene where Leela runs away by jumping over the wall? More scenes with M&S too.
yes, i noticed those scenes. Atleast leela will beocme independent. Tamil serials are so boring and always want to show women dependent and crying. they got to show them bold enough to face the world. some of the hindi serials are really good. Not all OK. I like manavi is tamil. Anyone else watch that serial.

Yes, most Hindi serials are better on showing women as independent (though a few of them go to the other extreme 😃).

We could even start a thread on this: most people still think a man should be better educated than his wife. I suspect several people in the current generation too subscribe to this view. We had a huge discussion about this at a party last night, and I want to see if people in this board want comments/discussions.

Edited by MettiOli - 19 years ago

My take on this.

I have this opinion that a man should be better educated (if not at least same) than the woman. 😊

According to me not necessarily. I think it makes no difference at all. If a man is more educated then we will earn more and support the family and if a women is more educated she will bring in more for the family. But if it is decided that the women is going to be staying home, then the man better be more educated and qualified to support his family. This is my opinion. I have 2 daughters myself. I want them to get the best education possible. And when they decide to marry they can marry either with a person more ecuated or equally qualified or whatever there is no hard and fast rule that a man or women should be more educated.

Thanks.

Sumita - that's exactly what triggered all the discussions at our party. One of the girls at the party mentioned that she was advised by her parents not to let her daughter pursue her M.S - it would be difficult to find a 'suitable' groom! First I couldn't believe that people still think like that. And guess what? some of the people in the room thought that was not actually a bad advice!

Actually I don't agree at all,  my boyfriend is still finishing his undergrad, while I am almost through with my masters. But professionally, he has far more experience than I do. I dunno if he will want to do his masters or no. It doesn't matter to me. Education is certainly important, but I think we Indians use it to evaluate the wrong things. A highly educated guy can be a jerk and a not so educated guy can be an angel. Its all in ur head. My parents don't have any problems with me marrying anyone who has studied less than me. Leading on to the next thing, its not necessary the guy should earn more either, unless u want to be a housewife. If I ever have daughters, I will educate them till they have enough maturity to decide for themselves and not encourage them to marry only guys who are equally or more educated. Like they say in a kannada saying, if the guy turns out to be bad, can you pickle his education and store it for a better day?
Well I understand what you are wanting to convey. And you are absolutely right as far as your boyfreind education and your education comparison goes, but please education is necessary in this growing economy and will give you the right and good paid job. I personally have experienced it. Though I was the only one in the whole department here in US with an accounting degree from Bombay, I didn't get promoted because I didn't have an US degree though I had much more experience than people who got promoted. Or else, luck has to be with you. I am with you as to who should be more educated, it really doesn't matter but education pays is for sure. Now that doesn't mean only education pays, but education will pay for sure. I have 2 daughters myself and will definitely allow them to choose whoever they want, but if that guy is well educated then even after loosing jobs, he can find one and come up in his career in this enocnomy. Those are old days where you will get promoted only because you have experience. You will get pay hike every year but to move up in career that degree stamp is required. According to me either one man or women in a family has to be educated enough to support.

Sumita - I checked some of your other posts too. Glad to know of several common interests and now, your support for your daughters' education too. What's your favorite site for Indian recipes (PM me). Also, have you watched Mangayar choice in the morning? I think it is aired too early in the morning for you...

I happened to discuss the other issue with another person from the elder generation. Guess what? She said: the choices are either the kid studies for a few more years or works for a few more years, and then they will have to get her married. Most likely the boys will prefer an employed girl over a well qualified girl. I had to admit that there was truth in what she said.

well guys and gals, have been out of touch for a while - personal pressures!!! looks like there is a serious discussion on education - it is a pity that education is valued at what it can bring back - in terms of money and job!!! I for one believe in education for the sake of knowledge and general awareness about the world around us. Ofcourse in today's competitive world, it is imperative that it fetches money and status - it better be or else it has no value!!!! My take on this is that both the partners should have almost equal qualification - plus or minus a little is fine - apart from the money part, the level of understanding comes only when the partners have the same (nearly) IQ levels. It is one thing to achieve something but it is totally another for the partner to understand and appreciate that, isnt it?? I am actually in the "rendunkettan stage" - cant call myself the older generation or the younger but i do not believe that marriage is the be all and end all in a girl's life. my two daughters are free to choose their life - the initial bringing up is done well and so we trust them to choose the right course - but we have made it very clear to them that as long as we are around, they can fall back on us for any support - which i think is very important.