Sukhvir Singh is India’s first Cricket St

Posted: 16 years ago
Sukhvir Singh is India's first Cricket Star
In the cricket talent hunt that concluded recently, Sukhvir Singh from Shahpur, a small village near Mohali, Punjab, emerged the winner. Sukhvir, who had been among 25,000 applicants who auditioned for the show, won by a record margin. A right arm fast bowler, he has the potential to bowl at 125 kmph and, according to the coaches, has improved as the show progressed. Sukhvir gave up his class 12 studies for cricket and has been training under Sukhwinder Singh Tinku at the Mohali Sports academy. During Cricket Star, Sukhvir took 9 wickets in 10 matches, the most among medium pacers. Manoj Badale, IIC chairman, said, "This is a dream come true for a small village boy from India. Cricket Star has demonstrated that talent exists beyond metros and mini-metros, and it is our belief that the right opportunity and process to unearth talent is the cornerstone of a successful team selection." He added: "Sukhvir has demonstrated that, although from a humble background, given the right opportunity and encouragement, one can bring out innate cricketing talent. Every top cricketer has had an English county cricket stint. By exposing the young budding talent to Leicestershire County cricket [the prize for winning the competition], we are upping the standard of cricketing skills as well as other skills required for a modern day international cricketer." Kapil Dev, chief selector of Cricket Star, said: "I am very happy to announce Sukhvir Singh has won Cricket Star and extremely happy that he will be playing county cricket. All the final 11 players have strong talent. I would like to mention that Dinesh Salunke, Man of the Series, and Mohammad Abbas, the runner up, are exciting cricket players with potential to play higher levels. I am planning to offer scholarships to the two cricketers and Robin Singh has offered to train a couple of the other players. It is our commitment and responsibility to encourage and nurture talent from smaller towns of India." Robin Singh, director of Cricket Star Academy, who was elated by the response the talent hunt generated, said, "Cricket Star is a unique and innovative talent hunt format that includes public opinion in shaping the future of cricketing talent. I am happy that Sukhvir has come out with flying colours and I wish all the final 11 cricketers a bright future. I am offering a training scholarship to the spinners at the MAC Spin Foundation in Chennai, where we train spinners who will ultimately represent India."

The show, which made its debut in India, will soon be implemented in Pakistan and the UK.

i mite go n watch him play as i live in leicester 😃
ohh thanks for sharing.. didnt know the cricket star has already been chosen

congrats but really wanted Karan Joshi to win

Edited by kashish 1322 - 16 years ago
Really???????? OMG..he's my fav. among all of 'em.. he's such a cutie pie 😳 .. thx's for sharin'.. now its gonna be so much fun to watch.. 😛   😃 😃
What???

😕

They have already picked the Cricket Star?!

But just now they were picking the top 9 players!!!!

Sukhvir won, i am so so so confused now.. how can they pick when show is not over 😕 😕 😕

Thanks NAdia for posting the article ! :)
what the hell
they are telling us the winner when its not even over yet
this is just a waste of time for us to watch then
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulation sukhveer, best of luck for his future 👏 👏 👏
the show is finished
and in canada it was aired on june 6th
the show is finished