•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 16 years ago

Hi Friends,

Features

Can Dolly Sohi Salvage The Show?
[19 Apr 2007]

"I Was The Heart And Soul Of Bhabhi. When I Quit, It Reflected In the Poor TRPs"

OVERCOMING THE TRAUMA of an unfortunate miscarriage in Canada, Dolly Sohi is back in Mumbai to face the arc lights. Getting back into Bhabhi, with a doting husband and unstinted family support, she is a changed person and claims that she has no grudge against co-star Mannish Goel since he is out of the serial now. In real life, she's also happy playing mom to her sister Amandeep, who's trying to get a foothold in showbiz.

Dolly Sohi has always been everyone's loving and venerable Bhabhi. Doe-eyed, docile, demure and benign, she has been the face of the soap and her disappearance from the serial understandably led to sagging TRPs. The popularity of the show at one point of time had dwindled to rock bottom and many stars even quit it in a jiffy. Explains Dolly, "Saroj's character was always etched in the audience's mind. And the audience finds it very difficult to relate to a new person. I was the heart and soul of the serial. They identified me with it completely. So when I quit, it reflected in the poor TRPs. The show is my baby and I am very attached to it. We are trying hard to shoot up the ratings. They used to rock once!"

Now that she is back in the saddle and has resumed work, does she find any difficulty essaying the powerful protagonist again, post a long hiatus? "I don't find any change," she states. "The unit is the same. I feel that I was away just for a week and have just resumed work."

There are reports stating that her co-star Rucha Gujarati is getting insecure with her arrival? Dolly laughs heartily at this one and says, "Well, when I went on the sets, Rucha wasn't there. I don't think anybody needs to get insecure. I am an easy-going person. I get along very well with Rucha and since she plays my daughter on screen, it's very important for the motherly emotions to be accentuated."

Dolly left the television industry after getting married. But things changed last year after she underwent a miscarriage. As she took time to get over the trauma, her husband advised her to return to India and do some work again. Dolly gets schmaltzy as she recalls, "I was undergoing lot of depression and my husband felt that it was time for me to resume work, which would divert my mind in some other direction. He asked me to take a break."

She is all praise for her supportive hubby and feels that marriage has brought about a radical change in her personality and her outlook towards life and relationships. "Marriage has contributed a lot to my life. Now I understand the gravity of human relationships. Initially, I used to be this spoilt brat. Sab apni marzi ka karti thi. Now I have learnt to adjust and acclimatize in a family set-up and cope with different individuals of varying temperaments."

Dolly feels that these new realizations are helping her essay her screen roles more convincingly. "It's helping a lot to bring more depth to the performances. Initially, I would just blindly go by what writers gave me. Writer ne jo likh diya, ho gaya. Now I feel that these relationships actually have deep values."

Apart from essaying her favourite character, Dolly is busy rustling up her sister Amandeep's career, which is still to take off. "One major reason I am here is because of my sister. I am helping her take right decisions so that she works for the right production houses. She had dabbled with acting when I left India. She needs to know kiske saath kaise baat karni hai. I am almost playing mom to her. She missed me a lot. I have told her categorically not to go for character roles because once you start doing those roles, you get stuck in a rut and there's no scope to do lead roles. I have told her to say no to all such offers."

Dolly agrees that her name has helped her sister a lot in getting a foothold in showbiz. But then she adds with a smile, "It's her luck that'll decide everything." The actress is missing her husband badly and calls him up at least twice a day; they're also in touch via the Internet and online chat. "My husband was planning to come to India for his brother's wedding, which was taking place in March. But now it has been postponed to November, so he might come during that time. We are like any other newly married couple. Both of us have similar likings and are very emotional. Both of us are very down-to-earth too."

What about her husband's feelings towards her long-time dushman, co-star Mannish Goel. Dolly beams with pride, "When my husband saw those stories about Mannish Goel and me in print, he laughed them off. I was flummoxed to see his reaction, though he took it with a pinch of salt!"

At one point of time, Dolly and her Bhabhi co-star Mannish, were baying for each other's blood. Though now she prefers to wash her hands off the entire spate of showdowns. Dolly had once accused Mannish of major attitude problems. When I ask her to clarify whether she had gone to the extent of filing a case against Mannish for his high-handedness, she refutes it completely. "The problem between us never went to that extent. I didn't file any case against him. I didn't think Mannish had an attitude problem initially. We were good friends. We had shot some very beautiful scenes together and our chemistry was good too. Mannish is a very reserved person. He would shoot scenes and go back. Our relationship was very professional and matter-of-fact. The problem started with one suhaag raat scene. It was very stupid on our part to make a big issue of it. From then onwards, there were problems between us. But I genuinely believe that he never took advantage of me. If I'll meet him now, I'll smile at him."

So how's life in Canada and does she miss the adulation she got back home? "I stay in a very small town called Victoria, which has an all-white population. But whenever I go to Vancouver, I am surrounded by Indians who keep saying, 'Aap yahan kya kar rahi hai?' For me it's embarrassing as I am with my mom-in-law most of the time."

Dolly is still not sure whether she wants to do more serials or go back to Canada. "I have got a lot of offers for Punjabi films. But I am not sure whether I'll do films or serials. I guess I'll be shuttling between India and Canada from now on." That's not such a bad thought. Having the best of both worlds is a good thing.

Link:

http://magnamags.com/magna_showtime/node/758

Regard

Rajeev and Aamna jodi's biggest admirer and supporter forever and ever Zee....

thanks 4 da article
she looks gorgeous 😳
thanks for the article zee