Gere-Shilpa kissing evokes protests

Posted: 17 years ago

Gere-Shilpa on-stage kissing evokes protests

New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) Richard Gere's on-stage kissing and hugging of Bollywood actor Shilpa Shetty during an AIDS awareness function here triggered a plethora of protests in several towns Monday against the 'obscene' act, with some people even burning effigies of the Hollywood star.

The function, organised Sunday evening at the Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar here, saw Gere, Shilpa and brawny Bollywood actor Sunny Deol participating in the programme to raise AIDS awareness among the trucker community.

While celebrating the 'Seena Taan Ke' event to highlight the contribution of truckers and the importance of safe sex practices, Gere, overwhelmed by Shilpa's appreciation, held her hand and kissed it. He later hugged her tightly, bent over her and planted several kisses on her cheeks in full public view.

A giggly and embarrassed Shilpa said: 'Yeh thoda zyada ho gaya tha (This was a little too much).'

The kissing episode has raised the hackles of several conservative groups, with reports of protests coming in from Kanpur, Varanasi (both in Uttar Pradesh) and Indore (Madhya Pradesh) and Jaipur.

'This is an intolerable and obscene act. It is against the values, culture and traditions of the nation. Gere must apologise,' said a protester at Indore.

'This act has hurt the sentiments of people. This should not have happened publicly,' said another protester. People came out on the streets in hundreds to protest and burned the effigies of Gere. They are demanding that he apologise to Shilpa and the country.

In the HIV-AIDS programme, organised by the Transport Corporation of India (TCI) Foundation, the social arm of Group Transport Corporation of India and the Hero Project, Shilpa had lavished praise on Gere just before the kissing episode took place.

'I thank Gere that he took out time to visit India. It is appreciable to see how intensely he feels for this issue. And we all must recognise his efforts and give our contribution in the best possible way, for this great cause,' she said, addressing the crowds.

Shilpa had made international headlines a few months ago when British TV star Jade Goody hurled racist abuses at her on the reality show 'Celebrity Big Brother'.

Dale Bhagwagar, spokesperson and publicist to Shilpa, said the media should concentrate on the cause of AIDS awareness rather than make an issue out of Richard Gere's kisses.

Gere has been associated with the Heroes project - a three-year national initiative by him and Parmeshwar Godrej - that aims at reducing the stigma about HIV/AIDS by educating people and advocating behavioural change.

According to the TCI foundation, 40 percent of the country's five million truck drivers are vulnerable to HIV/AIDS.

Around 4,000 truck drivers were also part of the 'Seena Taan Ke' programme.

For a second it didnt looked like it was Aids Awareness program.

As people Protesting for it is justified or not?

If this some thing happen i mean if Shakti Kapoor or and Big star goes for some show to hollywood and behaves like this then how people will react there i am sure the actress will not mind?

Should we say India is not matured or not able to forget its culture?

Cheers,

Ahmed

Edited by guess_gallery - 17 years ago
I came Running to the Debate Mansion After I read this Topic. πŸ˜† (or should I say I switched On the Tv and This was the news that was Falshing on Headlines Today )
The comments by readers On Rediff is absolutely Hilarious.

Ok let me try and Post the Pic.He kissed On her Cheek.(After a 100 worse bollywood movies we have suddenly take offense again??)
Oh yes The shiv sena is Protesting.(do they want a Kiss too?? πŸ˜† )

Ruchard Gere has been asked to leave the country?After all he had done for The AIDs compaign?(Pointless but still many people think Aids can be passed By kissing)What abut 'Athithi devo bava' .They always conviniently forgive the parts that dont suit their needs. πŸ˜‰

Aaah where are all these people when Mr Periera gets Just 6 months of prison for killing seven people including a Pregnant woman.Now a Foriegner comes and tells us we are the Biggest hypocrites I think we should shut our mouths and Accept the Truth. 🀒

Edited by Sharmii - 17 years ago

Originally posted by Sharmii

I came Running to the Debate Mansion After I read this Topic. πŸ˜† (or should I say I switched On the Tv and This was the news that was Falshing on Headlines Today )

Ok let me try and Post the Pic.He kissed On her Cheek.(After a 100 worse bollywood movies we have suddenly take offense again??)

Ruchard Gere has been asked to leave the country?After all he had done for The AIDs compaign?(Pointless but still many people think Aids can be passed By kissing)What abut 'Athithi devo bava' .They always conviniently forgive the parts that dont suit their needs. πŸ˜‰

Aaah where are all these people when Mr Periera gets Just 6 months of prison for killing seven people including a Pregnant woman.Now a Foriegner comes and tells us we are the Biggest hypocrites I think we should shut our mouths and Accept the Truth. 🀒

πŸ˜† you are hilarious tooo

Anyways, Welcome to DM, SharmiiπŸ˜ƒ I hope you enjoy debating here😳

very well said!!πŸ‘

On a lighter note: I have this conspiracy theory...Shilpa actually parted with some of her BB prize money...the money was transferred to Gere's Bahamas account...

Shilpa paid him to keep her in the news!πŸ˜›

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard...the worst thing is that the media is giving so much attention to all these people who are protesting when they are actually worth nothing.
,Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago

absolute truth and nothing but truth IMO .. loved ur post Sharmii!!!
& 🀣@ ran to DM..  
The faster learn to prioritize their time, the faste the country will actually develop 😳

subha di πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Height of imbecile behaviour!

Shilpa doesn't even seem to mind it, what's the big deal?

Why did they not launch a protest against the perverted crowd that harrassed Bipasha during the launch of Jism? Or when Mika Singh forcibly kissed Rakhi Sawant?

Talk about idle minds...

.(After a 100 worse bollywood movies we have suddenly take offense again??)

Sharmii, Welcome to DM and thanks for this fun post. 🀣

If it was Richard Gere kissing a lady then why are people protesting?πŸ˜‰ Don't people know that he is....