Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

http://www.merinews.com/debates.jsp?quesID=30&preQuesFla g=yes

Should BCCI ban cricketers from engaging in endorsements?

Finally after weeks of hype and hyperbole, the much hyped team India crumbled. Their poor performance in the ICC World Cup has triggered extreme emotions in our cricket crazy nation. Unless you were living on mars, you could not miss the story after story of each member of team India, namely a Sachin or a Sehwag, a Dhoni or a Yuvrajโ€ฆaired on various television channels and above all the omni visible campaign "ooh aah Indiaโ€ฆ." Of course if you are a skeptic or a realist, you know that this changes nothing.

An euphoric nation, back home, has erupted into agitated demonstrations as India lost to Sri Lanka. The cricket lovers are disappointed and angry. There is humiliation here as well as opportunity, humiliation of facing an angry nation and opportunity of taking corrective measures. Switch any television channel, open a newspaper or magazine, advertisements carrying faces of our cricketers endorsing one product or the other are present. The question that many are asking and is worth debating is, should the cricketers be allowed by the BCCI to get so involved in the endorsement brigade that the game takes a back seat? It is a known fact that cricket has become commercialized but with players sparing little time for the game seems to have taken a toll on Indian cricket and a very bad one at that. 'Make hay while the sun shines and let the country go to hell!' seems to be the mantra of Indian players these days.

Let us not forget that cricket in India is major carrier of national identity and tends to promote a specific type of emotional upheaval. And hence the shameful performance of one-time world champs raises many questions.

Here, let us address at least one of them.

Should BCCI take strict action on Indian cricketers and disallow them from engaging in endorsements?

I don't think banning endorsement makes sense.  BCCI could and must implement stringent policies pertaining to the player's continued presence in the team based on his / her preformance.  What they advertise is their personal issue as long as endorsements do not hamper their game performance.  Your thoughts?  I will consider this a poll and give the numbers later. Pls respond ๐Ÿ˜ƒ thnx.

qt

concept credit - maya
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Good Topic!

Should BCCI ban cricketers from engaging in endorsements?

Why? can BCCI or anyone gaurantee good results after this ban, NO (dare to challenge).There were no endorsements before did we win cups consistently?

Bad or unruly results that happen due to many reasons are subjected to such thoughts.. it basically displays frustration and one thing to pin point.

Everyone aspires to make best of the position for short span of career if there are ways to earn money then no harm. Why cann't people think that players are matured enough to understand that there first goal is play good and then other things... ban might agitate the players more... atleast its another reason to be a good player.

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Originally posted by: raj5000

Why? can BCCI or anyone gaurantee good results after this ban, NO (dare to challenge).There were no endorsements before did we win cups consistently?

very valid argument.  That makes it 2 votes,  & no debate yet.
Sound thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

That makes it 2 votes,  & no debate yet.

Make that 3 votes, I haven't read the entire article yet, but I agree with what Anshu has written. I don't care about the number of endorsements as long as they play well. It's only when they put on an awful show on the field that all thos eendorsements haunt us๐Ÿ˜ก.

Should BCCI take strict action on Indian cricketers and disallow them from engaging in endorsements? concept credit - maya

Thanks QT๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ. You know I am still on the fence with 2 diet cokes and no sign of Raksha๐Ÿ˜†.

Anyways as I mentioned in the other thread. BCCI should make net practices stricter and may be long hours and there should be performance assessment every month and players should be chosen according to their current form.

What the players do after their practice or at home should be entirely their judgment. If players have time to endorse n number of products then they should. BCCI has no right to invade their private space.

Can BCCI board have members with broad perception about the game instead of money minded good for nothing politicians who make lame statements in press? Can we have an Indian coach who would not have loyalty towards another country and also who catches up with players every now and then instead of shutting them off and talk to them through media?  

mermaid_QT thumbnail
MAYA, I joined you first on fence and brought chips and guacomole too and then posted this thread here ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I think I am joining Raj now.. Endorsements are clearly the players' personal affair.
Fans can choose to control themselves and control worshipping players who are performing below-ordinary. With reduced popularity, ad agencies won't follow these players.  Endorsements will automaically be limited and athletes will get their act together ๐Ÿ˜ƒ . But that is if and when people stop hero-worshipping big names atleast after they duck repeatedly ๐Ÿ˜•.

BCCI need not ban endorsements I think.

eg.  Kevin Garnett is not seen in ads anymore - He was MVP not too long ago.
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago

MAYA, I joined you first on fence and brought chips and guacomole too and then posted this thread here ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Thanks my cutie pie. I love guacomole. BCCI should pay players according to the performance.

Sound thumbnail

I think I am joining Raj now.. Endorsements are clearly the players' personal affair.
Fans can choose to control themselves and control worshipping players who are performing below-ordinary. With reduced popularity, ad agencies won't follow these players.  Endorsements will automaically be limited and athletes will get their act together ๐Ÿ˜ƒ . But that is if and when people stop hero-worshipping big names atleast after they duck repeatedly ๐Ÿ˜•.

BCCI need not ban endorsements I think.

eg.  Kevin Garnett is not seen in ads anymore - He was MVP not too long ago.

Or they could make a certain number of hours mandatory for net practice such that no time is left for endorsements. Practice kara kara ke maar dalo๐Ÿ˜†. Na rahenga baans, na bajegi bansuri.

Now from BCCI's point of view

It would be fallacious to state that these Cricketers play for India and not for themselves. Almost all of them have selfish reasons to excel and that is to make their wallets heavier. Now it is decided that players would be paid depending on their performance in a game. If a player is allowed to endorse products then he might lack the spirit to win the game because even if he loses the match or scores less he has made 5 times more with endorsements. So by restricting them to 2 endorsements they will have to eye the perks which come from winning Cricket matches which will naturally boost their performance.

Sound thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maya_M

Now from BCCI's point of view

It would be fallacious to state that these Cricketers play for India and not for themselves. Almost all of them have selfish reasons to excel and that is to make their wallets heavier. Now it is decided that players would be paid depending on their performance in a game. If a player is allowed to endorse products then he might lack the spirit to win the game because even if he loses the match or scores less he has made 5 times more with endorsements. So by restricting them to 2 endorsements they will have to eye the perks which come from winning Cricket matches which will naturally boost their performance.

That is a very very valid point Maya๐Ÿ‘