Sprituality; Society vs Us? - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago

Hello once again,

I have decided to entertain and invest energy here instead of studying.πŸ˜†Anywho, I shall not regret, considering the questions are important to me!

So tell me, how important is spirituality and religion to you? Do we only go to religion to find peace of mind from all else? Gives us a sense of being protected? we all need that? how do athiests deal with this issue?? They have nobody to fall back on?? CAn we not rely on ourselves?? Is it lack of confidence? fear of all?? all just seeds put in us by society??? Does society makes us strong or weak individuals? Impediment to growth, esp. with all sorts of stigma that exist in society, and keep us bound to ''acceptable" behavior? or adds spice to life, and enrich us, and are a good tool for our development?πŸ˜ƒ

Thoughts appreciated!

Persy

Deleted from DM Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Originally posted by reeps

Hello once again,

I have decided to entertain and invest energy here instead of studying.πŸ˜†Anywho, I shall not regret, considering the questions are important to me!

So tell me, how important is spirituality and religion to you? Not important to me Do we only go to religion to find peace of mind from all else?No I am an agnosticGives us a sense of being protected? we all need that? how do athiests deal with this issue?? By dealing reality using reason.They have nobody to fall back on?? True. The point is we dont enjoy fooling ourselves..CAn we not rely on ourselves?? Of course you should.... Is it lack of confidence? fear of all?? Somewhat true all just seeds put in us by society??? yup Does society makes us strong or weak individuals? Society doesnt make anything. You make yourselfImpediment to growth, esp. with all sorts of stigma that exist in society, and keep us bound to ''acceptable" behavior? or adds spice to life, and enrich us, and are a good tool for our development?πŸ˜ƒ Even  if God exists he surely dont have a will.. and is as helpless as you are....

Thoughts appreciated!

Persy

[quote]Even if God exists he surely dont have a will.. and is as helpless as you are.... [/quote]

Why are you so certain that he doens't have a will? πŸ˜† ... I assume you believe in free-will then? No desitny? no fate? No big mind leading the game? Or is reality too horrific to believe god is behind it all? πŸ˜›

Just out of curiosity, do you ever come across a time when reason falters? then what? And since you are one, how much value is put on emotions by agnostics? Are emotions and reason seen as complementary? Is reason devoid of emotion?

Persy

[quote]Even if God exists he surely dont have a will.. and is as helpless as you are.... [/quote]

Why are you so certain that he doens't have a will? πŸ˜† ...Natual laws dont suggest to me of an existence of a God with a free will. I assume you believe in free-will then? No desitny? no fate? No big mind leading the game? Big mind set a ball rolling but cant micro-control its course.. so all he can say if he sets it wrongly is  Or is reality too horrific to believe god is behind it all? πŸ˜› I cant believe some individual however powerful can control everything....We are trapped in the randomness of our actions with appropriate consequences..according to laws of nature..I am agnostic simply because of the unknown which I havent yet reached to reason...πŸ˜‰

Just out of curiosity, do you ever come across a time when reason falters? Sure reason is the thinking mind and can go wrong all the time.doesnt mean you flip coins to get the right answer..then what? Reason further... wrong reasons dont mean no reason... thoughts should encompass every aspect of truth..And since you are one, how much value is put on emotions by agnostics? Agnostics dont put value in a God who is made out more to be juggler or a charmer...Are emotions and reason seen as complementary? Reason is divine emotions are incidental...Is reason devoid of emotion? No.. how can rationalists be passionate about their reasons then?😊

The whole universe is more like in state of disorder but subject to mathematical laws

Persy

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
Hum ko   maloom hay jannat ki haqiqat laikin
Dil kay khush rakhnay ko Ghalib ye khayal achaa hay

Originally posted by qwertyesque

when we look at things minutely, we can usually see only the trees and miss the forest. we see randomness but we miss the order amidst all the chaos. pretty much how stock market charts look or the cells in the lungs, or lots of things in nature. sort of hard to believe there is all this order and pattern without some higher purpose behind it all.😊

Originally posted by chatbuster

when we look at things minutely, we can usually see only the trees and miss the forest. we see randomness but we miss the order amidst all the chaos. pretty much how stock market charts look or the cells in the lungs, or lots of things in nature. sort of hard to believe there is all this order and pattern without some higher purpose behind it all.😊

thats the self-orchestrated rules of math and science...there is no purpose but to live and die... there is no greater mystic around that...the inherent order is its stability by shape, form, nature or content...force fields,  there is no conductor in this orchestra.. so me thinks...its no good fooling ourselves but if God is reading this now, he may just about be getting ready to spank me... πŸ˜† 

Originally posted by Morning_Dew

Hum ko   maloom hay jannat ki haqiqat laikin
Dil kay khush rakhnay ko Ghalib ye khayal achaa hay

Lekin is jannat ki haqiqat ka ahsas hota hey kitne botalon key baad...isse janat ki gaharai bhi naapi ja sakti hai... Ghalib..πŸ˜†

So tell me, how important is spirituality and religion to you?

Spirituality is very important to me.I feel every person ,irrespective of their age need to develop some curiosity towards spirituality.Spirituality is neither some feeling which needed to be developed after certain age nor some specified task to be performed by speciifed gender of specified age!!Spirituality arises when we have the zeal to understand the beauty of the creation of GOD,when we want to know the purpose of our live or the beauty of our existence in this universe.We need not  preach or display  about our spirituality but we need to continue our efforts in understanding the beauty of GOD's creation!!

Religion is just one route to understand the concpets of spiritual things! But Practising religion alone without any zeal to know the things of the creation doesnot have much impact!! I donot give much importance to only one religion .I like to know the concpets of all the religions but personally I don't find any necessity to claim myselves to belong to any religion!

Do we only go to religion to find peace of mind from all else?

Most of the people opt religion because it gives them a sense of security!!They feel their RAM or ALLAH or JESUS protects them from the problems!! This act of transfering our burden on someother gives us peace of mind!!

how do athiests deal with this issue?? They have nobody to fall back on?? CAn we not rely on ourselves?? Is it lack of confidence? fear of all?? all just seeds put in us by society??? Does society makes us strong or weak individuals? Impediment to growth, esp. with all sorts of stigma that exist in society, and keep us bound to ''acceptable" behavior? or adds spice to life, and enrich us, and are a good tool for our development?πŸ˜ƒ

I never goto any one for my problems,I just pray for the almighty to give me the strength to face that problem !! I'm not in the habit of giving bribes to the GODS for solving my problems or my wishes!! I donot know who is an atheist!!!πŸ˜›

I wish to post the views of my friend here with reference to the above questions :

One does not always have to percieve things by five senses to accept thier existance.
I used to be a believer, than a non-believer, Now I am an agnostic wanting to believe.
The problem was that I was handed down a concept of God, that sounded more like a 'ration ki dukaan' rather than God. God is not someone that you go and ask for things for cheap. Neither is God someone who will grant us reward we do not deserve if we just butter Her up. Neither is God the cruel being who will throw people in eternal hell and make them suffer just because they do not follow some arbitrary lists of 'do's and 'don't's - lists She is apperently not quite sure about because She changes them again and again before handing down to this or that religion! We can keep going down list of what God is not. (what Hindus call 'Neti Neti')
As of now idea I can live with is that God is everything menifest and everything unmenifest. Chances are that some day I will have to come to a conclusion that God is not that either. I will just have to see.
The problem is that we are encouraged to believe in God since childhood when we are not capable of abstract tinking. Any concrete concept we are given of God in childhood invariably turns out to be false...so either we turn atheists or we continue to believe without facing that what understanding or idea we were capable of God in childhood was not what God actually is...and not everyone is inquisitive enough to continue asking what God really is!
I hope that did not answer your question because that would imply that I know what I am talking about.

Edited by abhijit shukla on 23 September 2006 at 3:47am

(Above Views of Dr Abhijit in earlier posts of DM,I donot know from which post is it and I saved this post earlier so I posted this here for all of you)

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago