Writers Corner: Books, Stories & Poems

Last Day At Home - Flash Fiction - Page 2

datspreets thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

Last Day At Home

Home is definitely where the heart is! – And mine is at Mumbai. Just 2 years in Mumbai and now I have to move to a small town in Gujarat because of dad's work. There we won't have local trains, malls, not even my friends.

Dad conveyed the news this morning. He told us we have one last day in Mumbai! One day...Gosh…such a short notice!

So here I am after spending my last day in Mumbai, tired, yet satisfied. I visited my college and friends, ate at my favourite eatery, walked on Marine Drive, took the long way back home just to enjoy the breathtaking architecture of Fort area, even the overcrowded train journey I took was memorable with people falling over one another, yet giggling away. How these little things I never cherished before today!

'Preeti…' Dad called out to me.

'Coming dad' I shouted, trotting downstairs.

'I have some important news, please sit down'

I sat down looking at him intently. This was going to be another big news; another in the same day! Mom was sitting there too and was stifling a laugh.

'Tell me now, c'mon dad…or mom' I begged

'We aren't leaving Mumbai. We are staying here in this same house.' Mom said.

'Did I hear right?' I squealed with excitement. They didn't answer.

'So you lied to me this morning, did you?' I asked, anger creeping into my voice.

'We had to lie. You were always absorbed in studies and never took time to enjoy life. Hope you had fun today.' Dad replied.

'Yep, I lived today like there's no tomorrow.' I smiled, my anger melting away. I learnt an important lesson today– to live everyday like it's your last! 'Thanks Mom and Dad. Now home, welcome this girl back' my heart sang!

(19 March 2006)

Written for the prompt: Write about moving away from home, only to move back in.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters