Solhah Singaarr

Mrinal Kulkarni On solhah singaarr

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
What's the response to you role as a widow who has remarried in Solhah Singaarr? The characterisation of Alak- nanda has been unique and the response so far has been over- whelming. It's been a good graph from going through the turmoil of widowhood to facing the wrath of society. Now she's undergoing another trial because of her pregnancy . It's a very interesting role because the goings-on in her life affect her teenage daughter. This has been captured beautifully I . was told that I was the unani- mous choice for the role of Alak- nanda. Can television help social causes? Of course, like widow remar- riage. It's a difficult situation but one needs to support this cause. The issue has been dealt with in films like Water and Babul. We're dealing with it in a different man- ner. For once there is no backdrop of the saas-bahu turmoil. Weren't you apprehensive of playing a mature woman? Not at all. I'm ready to play a grandmother if the role is good enough. In fact, I started my career with Hasratein, soon after I did a show called Jhoota Sach in which I played mother to Simone Singh. So, I've no qualms about playing an old woman. Which other roles are you enacting on television? I'm already doing two more shows besides Solhah Singaarr. I play a wronged woman turning to an entrepreneur in Dharmpu- tra (DD). I also host an international travel show Happy Journey (ETV), which I produce too. The show takes me to a different country for 10 days in a month; that's like a paid holiday I've just . returned from Egypt and I'm now off to Switzerland. I was considering a show with Ektaa Kapoor when I was offered Solhah Singaar. What kind of roles interest you? I like to do things that I haven't done before. After Chattan and Sparsh, I played Draupadi and Meera in UTV' s Meerabai. I have done social dramas, mythologies and even a fantasy like Sonpari. Role call Hasratein ( Zee TV) Dharamputra ( DD) Happy Journey ( ETV) Solah Singaarr ( Sahara One) Sonpari ( Star Plus)