A man with a bag -- One shot... completed

Posted: 17 years ago

Heya! This is my first story at Tales Corner...

This is a one shot story...  I had written it for an inter-school selection. Hope you like it, and please give me your comments 😳

Word Count: 1207 words

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

A man with a bag
-Samyukta

"I'm walking down an airport, with a bag stuck to me like it has my heart in it, beating. I don't know whether I'm going to get out of here with the bag or not. I don't know if I'm going to get out of here alive." Thought Ryan

"Look at him, Ryan Stone… he's walking there. Looks like he owns the world. He has this air of superiority, but he just won't tell me why we're here!"

"I really don't get this, why I'm here with such an inexperienced associate. How did I get myself into this? It all started when…

"It all started when the Tuynhuys (The residence of the President of South Africa) received an urgent, important and confidential call from the man himself, the President of the United States. It wasn't just any kind of call. It was a call of great importance, a call regarding the feared, a call regarding human development as a whole. The first lady had contracted the dangerous disease of Smallpox. They didn't know how, they didn't know where. They just knew one thing that if it spread, or wasn't stopped soon, thousands of efforts of people would go back to where it started. The highly deadly smallpox, which they had believed eradicated, would return. But the problem was that all vaccines in all countries had been destroyed, as ordered by the WHO to avoid spread of disease, even by mistake. South Africa had been the last country to destroy the virus, but there was no real proof that it had been destroyed. The President, using his last straw, placed the call, and to everyone's astonishment, it was true. South Africa had not destroyed it. They were the one country who could help USA but on one condition, that this breaking of faith by them would not be revealed to the world ever. The US, more than happy agreed, and asked for the virus to be sent to them at once. And that's where they pulled me in. Senior agent Ryan Stone at your service. At this moment, there are exactly 6 people on the face of this earth who know about it. The President of the United States, Henry Winters, the first lady herself, the secretary of State, The president of South Africa, Canah Zuba, the secretary of South Africa, and me. I have to make a journey from South Africa to USA and hand over this bag. And I've been provided with an impatient associate, who I'm sure wouldn't know what the white house is if it weren't for-"

"So are you going to tell me why we're here?" asked Brown, the said associate.

" Ummm, yes. But you must never in your life reveal this information to anyone in the-"

"Yeah yeah… I get the point."

Ryan who was now getting agitated explained to him, "Listen, there has been an outbreak of Anthrax in the US and one of the chief generals at the white house has been affected. Our job is to carry this bag, which contains the vaccine, to them successfully.  No questions asked."

"But Anthrax? I thought…"

"No questions asked" Why risk it and tell him the truth? It's not like he'll ever find out. It just gives me this strange feeling of comfort.

"Excuse me sir, may I check in your luggage?"

"No, none. Just hand luggage" replied Ryan.

He turned around to Brown, but couldn't see him anywhere. Where is he?

"Hey, sorry… had to leave… back now… just a minute…" said Brown as he rushed back, huffing.

"Well, you do that again, and it might be the last minute of your life!" said Ryan, as his phone, began ringing.

"Ryan Stone"

"The media know"

"What do they know?"

"They've got a slip. But it's very amusing. They say it's anthrax!"

"Yes"

"Do you know who let it out?"

"Positive."

"Do you need back-up?"

"Positive."

Ryan hung up "Excuse me, Brown." He walked up to the security check counter and mumbled something to the attendant. A few minutes later, he came over to Brown.

"Sir, your passport please?"

"Yes, Mr. Ryan there has it."

"Sir, is he with you?" asked the attendant.

"Of course not!" replied Ryan and walked in through the security gate, flashing them a card, as they let him pass through, without a single security check.

"Sir, please. There is someone outside for you", he said to Brown.

Brown, still under shock was ushered out. Waiting there for him was a car from the South African embassy. His trick was out. He got into the car without a word, as he was driven off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good morning. Thank you for flying with us. We hope you had a pleasant flight. Please do join us again. Welcome to Washington DC. "

Ryan stepped off the flight and walked through to the immigration desk, still clutching the bag like his life depended on it.

Why is he holding that bag so tight? I think I was right. Thank god I brought this to the attention of the flight officials. Thought a fellow passenger who had observed Ryan throughout his journey. Ryan walked up to the desk, and showed the officials the same card granting him direct access.

"I'm sorry sir, I'll need to check your bag."

"No, I'm afraid you can't. Not until you call the White house atleast."

"Have you absolutely lost your brains? You really think that we're going to call the President of the United States for you?" replied the official, laughing.

"Well, then atleast contact this phone number." Said Ryan simply as he handed over a black card with only a telephone number printed on it. The official took it, looked at it like it was something of great amusement to him, and said, "Well, alright… It's not going to kill me. I'll call.."

He picked up his phone and dialed. He got an answer on the first ring. " Good Morning. How may I help you?"

" I'm calling from the airport ma'am, Washington D.C. I have with me a man who refuses to open his bag and let us check it, and asked me to call on this number. Who am I talking to right now, ma'am?"

"The secretary of State. You may trace this call to the White House."

Ryan watched silently as the official's face turned pale.

"Yes, ma'am, umm… his name is Ryan Stone and-"

"And he's from South Africa, he's carrying a black bag. His passport number is SA-54875 and he is travelling alone."

"Why yes, ma'am!"

"Let him through. Don't check him. Don't touch him. Provide him with security. And most importantly,"

"Yes ma'am"

"Don't touch the bag."                 

"Yes ma'am"

"And may I leave now?" asked Ryan to the astonished official who had traced the call, and gaped at the results.

"Yes sir, you may."

"Thank you"

"But sir, one more thing!"

"Yes?" asked Ryan.

"Enjoy your stay" he said, smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty minutes later, Ryan handed over the bag to the President of The United States in person, and walked out, without a word. The happenings of the past one day, a forgotten story that he would never tell to anyone. Ever.
awesum story....very mysterious type....lolz....kinda reminds me of this one movie i saw...lolz....
Wow Sam!!! Good job! It's a wonderful piece of work!

I couldn't read it all yesterday and had to leave so am replying now. It was fun reading it.

I love the beginning and the end (So that means everything in between as well 😳) The beginning really worked as attention grabber and it really hooks you into the story.

The end especially the last couple lines are beautifully worded. Kind of adieu to the whole story. Awesome job! 👏👏
😡 SAM u didn't EVEN TELL me u POSTED!!!!😡 BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR😉 😉

REVIEWS??? First of all did u copy from Fedrick Forsyth or Jeffery Archer??? 😉

Truly the suspence is great! I loved da way in which the official says-

"But sir, one more thing!"

"Yes?" asked Ryan.

"Enjoy your stay" he said, smiling.

That was do 😆 !!!!

So what about starting a novella??? After boards!!! Go on!!!!

Loadsa Luv,
Nutzz 😉 😉

=Nutz= Thanx! But gee, don't compare me to Jeffrey Archer! 😲 That's a little too much don't you think? Naina inspired me to restart my writing... I've written 3 chapters of this one story... I think around 7 chapters should be enuf... or 5.... I'll post them soon... I write about a chapter everyday.... Keeps my mind off studies too!

Thanx a lot Naina! Basically, I've just used all the tips u taught me! Start with setting, character, story, then details... I go by it every single time... I used to go back to our HQ everytime... Now it's gone! I can't find IF.in... has it been archived somewhere? 😳

-Sam 😛 Edited by Naughty_n_nice - 17 years ago
Originally posted by Naughty_n_nice

=Nutz= Thanx! But gee, don't compare me to Jeffrey Archer! 😲 That's a little too much don't you think? Naina inspired me to restart my writing... I've written 3 chapters of this one story... I think around 7 chapters should be enuf... or 5.... I'll post them soon... I write about a chapter everyday.... Keeps my mind off studies too!

Thanx a lot Naina! Basically, I've just used all the tips u taught me! Start with setting, character, story, then details... I go by it every single time... I used to go back to our HQ everytime... Now it's gone! I can't find IF.in... has it been archived somewhere? 😳

-Sam 😛

Thanks Sam, but the credit doesn't go to me at all.  I just helped, you had the talent in yourself which is how you write excellent fictions now.  IF.in has been locked due to merger but it's not gone. 😆

Check this link to our HQ: http://www.india-forums.in/viewtopic.php?t=24432

Have fun and keep writing! 😊

sammmmmmmmmmmm 😳
this is amazing 🤗
i red it the other day bt had to leav cos mum called 😆
neway the storys gr8 yaar 😆 those mr brown parts r toooo funny 😆😆 luved d way he got rid of him 😉
evn i lyk the ending 😆😆
plz post more na 😳

Yes.. I will... It's on paper, let me get it, will post one chapter today... 😳 😳
Sam, is this the one you wrote for Storyteller challenge? It's really good! I know the tips our guruji's gave us were superb..Neelam was my guruji for that contest :)
I love the plot. Very intelligent and unique.