Criticism vs Bashing!!! - Page 6

Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by chatbuster

of course, when one is debating like their lives or careers depended on it, then one is ultimately trying to score a knock-out or a win on points. that much is true.

but i dont buy into the rest of your argument- by hook or by crook. the presidential debates here in the US are very structured and there's not much opportunity for "crooked" foul play.

if you are implying that they can behave in any "hooked" manner and get away with it, then these guys know better. these politicians have media and PR advisors by the dozens who coach them on every technique and etiquette of debating. so to say that they dont have an idea of debating is far from it. in fact, if i may say so, i believe the reverse is true. they have more knowledge and wit than some of the folks i have seen elsewhereπŸ˜‰

they also know that the audience is very unforgiving here- it does not necessarily care for cheap tactics or foul means to show down the other candidate. but clever put-downs that might be construed as rude by some touchy-feely types is fine. we might actually want to use these guys as example to see what is or ought to be acceptable style for us as well.😊

No, I am not implying that. Again, that would be generalisation. I for one know most of the politicians are coached too well to get away with anything. Though how much one sided a 'debate' can get can easily be seen from any O reilly or Nancy Grace or Greta van Susteren. That too is not a face of debate we want to be a part of. But that is not the point and we are in fact digressing.

Originally posted by Minnie

No, I am not implying that. Again, that would be generalisation. I for one know most of the politicians are coached too well to get away with anything. Though how much one sided a 'debate' can get can easily be seen from any O reilly or Nancy Grace or Greta van Susteren. That too is not a face of debate we want to be a part of. But that is not the point and we are in fact digressing.

sorry but i wanted to finish that thought. yes, shouting down the other guy and not giving equal air-time is bad form and what we might not want to be a part of. but beyond that, the fact that a debate gets one-sided and someone wins is not iself a bad thing; that's the outcome one might in fact hope to have. 😊

in any event, my reference was to to prez candidates here who on the surface come with more etiquette training so that they dont seem to be overtly bashing anyone. i am not using anyone and everyone under the sun here as shining examples of that etiquette.😊

Sorry for spamming!!

I really wonder what's the time in  your places  now,particulary of some new friends !! πŸ˜›

Is debating an addiction ?
If debating is like a street fight is it necessary to fight online sacrificing our sleep πŸ˜›

cheers,
Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Sorry for spamming!!

I really wonder what's the time your places particulary

some new friends !! πŸ˜›

Is debating an addiction ?
If debating is like a street fight is it necessary to fight online sacrificing our sleep πŸ˜›

cheers,
Mythili

sorry, dont know who that was for, and how it was relevant to the current topic, since the english was kinda hard to getπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago

Mythili Says:

Encourage criticism: People are open to criticism when they are well aware of their key strengths and weaknesses.

When you criticize someone: You need to give them information on where they are failing but negative feedback can destroy their confidence and Motivation.

Be specific – Whether you are criticizing or praising, detailed information, rather than vague or Woolly statements, is more likely to reinforce what happened.

Describe actual behaviour – Don't remark on the individual, their personality or attitudes. Focus on what they actually said or did and avoid your own personal idiosyncrasy in judging performance.

Focus on areas they can do something about –It is frustrating to be reminded of something over which you have no control.

Be selective – Give as much information as they can use. Too many examples or points will dilute the feedback and could lead to complacency or defensiveness.

Be forward looking – Constructive comments that offer alternatives on what could be done differently in the future are more helpful than destructive criticism of past actions.

Discuss it – Don't give the feedback and run. Stay to explore the topic in more detail.

and finally

Bashing requires no rules and regulations because its just an expression of anger😑 .

It completely depends on the person who is facing the criticism or bashing to convert the criticism to bashing and bashing to criticismπŸ˜† !!!

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago
Personally, I think criticism is necessary for people's personal growth. If there was no one to tell you what you lack on, how will you ever improve?? You'll be just the same person with all the bad things you might have and never get a chance to change them.

There are two kinds of criticism. Constructive criticism and destructive criticism. You can point out someone's mistake and give them a platform to improve or you can bash someone and totally discourage them.

For Example, ABC did the worst research paper in the world. The grammar/spelling mistakes, content wise wrong and not neat at all.

Now, the teacher can reply in two ways... One would be constructive criticism and other destructive.

"You are stupid, ABC!! Couldn't you have written a worse paper?" - Now, that's what I call destructive criticism or otherwise named bashing.

"Well ABC, there are a few ways I think you can improve i.e. grammar, spelling, and research. I know you can do much better, just give it a try!" - That would be constructive criticism. You have said what was wrong and could be changed whereas being polite and encouraging the person to work on it.