Can Culture Be Superior? - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago
With some heated discussion going on lately at DM, I would like to have discussion or debate about can any culture be superior? Indians think that Indian culture is rich and way more superior than Western culture. West think that East and middle east suppress lady of their house and abuse them. They consider East being male dominating countries where women are not equal to men. There are lot of general notions we all carry and maybe our environment we were brought up and live is the big factor that is responsible for our belief.

However, question being…..what is culture? Who creates culture? And can any culture be superior to other? If yes, who gets to decide that?

Request to all members-
1. Please refrain from "personal" attack. If I see any pesonal attack warning of that member will be increased.
2. Please try to stick to the topic and don't get diverted. If I see any post that goes off track that will be deleted right away.
3. Try to be nice to each other and just discuss or debate on the topic. We are not going to win any trophy.
4. We all are adults here and I expect similar discussion from all.
5. You cannot change other people's mind or belief by debating and arguing so please respect their belief.
-Happy Debating! 😊

Excellent topic sowmyaa di.... wonderful .. wonderful πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

I will reply in detail after a while... but short answer is that we tend to make ourselves.. or more precisely our way of living as indespensable.. we take pride in what our ancestors did ... and how generations have gone through changes which made "Culture" rich.

This mentality prevails every where... we see other cultures with our view, not with the view of their native's one. We make judgements based on our perceptions and lifestyle..

V good topic... i will def come later πŸ‘
Nice topic Sowmyaa ji!

I definetly beleive that one culture is relatively comfortable than other culture.Tolerance to other cultures is also part of the culture one adopts!!

Will add my views in detail later.

Cheers,
Mythili

Originally posted by sowmyaa

However, question being…..what is culture?

To me culture is a set of rules that helps a society to function smoothly and facilitates interaction among its members so that all the members are benefitted.

Who creates culture?

People create culture depending on what suits them best at a given time which may change when the priorities in life change. No person can single handedly build a whole culture.

And can any culture be superior to other? If yes, who gets to decide that?

No culture can be called superior or inferior. Every culture has its own unique features which are suitable for its people and works for them. Some customs may appear to be strange, frivolous or immoral to outsiders but that hardly makes the culture inferior. Indians think because their culture is thousands of years old it is superior; Westerns think since they are more successful, their's is superior, but does that really make them superior?? Like every person thinks their mother tongue is the sweetest, similarly every person's culture is the best in his/her view.

.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
Culture is just a formal evolution of humans in making the society more structured and meaningful to humans...Culture evolves largely out of faith and somewhat out of thinking...The culture which has evolved with more abstractions and procedures tend to be more superior, since the abstractions make it more binding and sustain better...Cultures with fewer abstractions have people retracting back to the cavemen way of leaving...since there is veri little to profess to..

The important thing here is people have to be there to support that culture otherwise it withers away. So any overpowering numbers can punify healthy cultures...despite their flaws...

😊

Originally posted by qwertyesque

The important thing here is people have to be there to support that culture otherwise it withers away. So any overpowering numbers can punify healthy cultures...despite their flaws...

😊

I would say it differently that ppl should support the culture they believe suits them the best...

The old adage- Grass is always greener on the other side applies here... with Western cultures embracing Yoga, trying to be less materialistic etc etc and Eastern culture doing the opposite..

all people r correct all cultures r right they have evolved according to the people living in that place and the situations and resouces and many other factors.
its is a set of rules practices traditions which r made to make life easy and peaceful for people.its is for the convenience of people living there.

so we sld respect all cultures and sld expect the same from others.
Nice topic of debate!

This is very well said. I couldn't agree more

Originally posted by souro

Great topic sowmyaa.

No culture or religion is greater than the other. The truth is that none is perfect either. There are good and bad things about each and I guess the variety is what makes us BETTER individuals, because we can CHOOSE what is best, assimilate it in our life-style and lead a richer (not moneywise πŸ˜† ) life full of awarenessa and experiences.

I think with globalization and coming together of several cultures as ONE WORLD, our future generations have a great life to lead.