Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
i wonder where in the US u guys are... i havent encountered such silly questions in last many years, camels, elephants ... i mean when i was talking to a white lady, an acquaintance, she just asked me where i am from and I said bombay.. she told me - "isnt it mumbai? now...you should be ashamed of yourself"... man i said ok... 😛
noorejahaan thumbnail
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

i wonder where in the US u guys are... i havent encountered such silly questions in last many years, camels, elephants ... i mean when i was talking to a white lady, an acquaintance, she just asked me where i am from and I said bombay.. she told me - "isnt it mumbai? now...you should be ashamed of yourself"... man i said ok... 😛

Haha! That's hilarious..😆
I personally find that when people DO ask stupid questions like that, it's not out of ignorance, it's just out of spite or due to their messed up sense of humour..not because they genuinely don't know! 😉 There's this one kid I know who keeps asking me if I'm eating curry..even if I'm clearly eating a sandwich! And he's Thai, so he probably eats more curry each month than I eat each year..!😆
I assure you as a nri born and brought up in the uk we dont act like kareena kapoor thats a exaggeration on one side...the truth is as far as i see is that theres different types of people within my age group..all adults want to keep the culture alive 😊 ...theres people who go opposite to what we are about as asian and adopt the western lifestyle including names 😆 ..theres another group who pick and choose they may not like asian shows, culture but yet any asian event will celebrate...then the third who have a balance....most people nowadays do tend to be more westernised the films potryal has not got it right...mean alot of people especially girls do drink and stuff yet its not completly rebelious style like shown in movies its usually when they go away to uni or sneek out...nor is poojas character true because thats just silly clothes has nothing to do with anything people wear what they choose...most people would never wear short tops etc 😆 or skirts for that matter ..
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Qwerty if you got o East coast or West coast where there is huge number of Indian population you will fine most Americans exposed to Indian and the culture. It also depends what industry you are working in. If you go to towns in Midwest most of them have not even seen New York or parts oftheir own country. If you meet people from other industry apart from IT or Medicine etc. you will see most of them don't know much about India. I have seen Americans who also know that our politicians still uses Ambassador cars sometimes 😆....but i've also seen people asking abotu Elephants etc. So trust me US is just not big cities and East/West coast. Midwest have tons of towns that are still conservative and not exposed to outside world. 😊 Again, this is just my observation..and it could be wrong.
Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ektas_Angel

I assure you as a nri born and brought up in the uk we dont act like kareena kapoor thats a exaggeration on one side...the truth is as far as i see is that theres different types of people within my age group..all adults want to keep the culture alive 😊 ...theres people who go opposite to what we are about as asian and adopt the western lifestyle including names 😆 ..theres another group who pick and choose they may not like asian shows, culture but yet any asian event will celebrate...then the third who have a balance....most people nowadays do tend to be more westernised the films potryal has not got it right...mean alot of people especially girls do drink and stuff yet its not completly rebelious style like shown in movies its usually when they go away to uni or sneek out...nor is poojas character true because thats just silly clothes has nothing to do with anything people wear what they choose...most people would never wear short tops etc 😆 or skirts for that matter ..

Thanks for sharing with us angel. I agree with you here.
tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

But thats how it is , u say kids do not like parents staying there for more than a week, well try speaking to the parents , they also would feel the same . Thats how it is , no one invades ones space and privacy and thats how they all have grown up to be but that does not mean they do not love their parents or vice versa .

60-70 year olds have their own life , they do not expect to depend on someone . They have their retirment planned , there are Senior citizens communitities built everywhere , they buy those and stay along with the other seniors and have a nice time going around and doing group activities and it has nothing to do with kids . Thats what they chose to do with their lives . So what if kids give them a call once a week, that does not mean they love their parents lesser . My brother calls my parents once a week from here , is his love less ,NO way .

Also the parents too when they were kids or have been brought up the same way and once again there is no question of dependence coz most of their lives they choose to be independend and live in their own space with their own money .

I know so many kids in India ,who live with their parents yet have so many complaints against them , its more like an obligation than love to take care of the parents . I have heard so many who leave their kids in old age homes , these are crimes in India coz there parents and kids depend on each other . Whereas, here in America, the elders themselves decide what to do with their lives and move to senior citizens homes and mind you these  homes are well built single family homes which are a tad bit less expensive and also they form a community and have a great time together .

As for elephants and snakes talk , why not , if some of us who live in India can point fingers at western culture and proclaim that ours is the best and point fingers at their culture without knowing what its about then they can do the same , atleast they ask us if its true and then make their judgements , here we dont ask , we just make our judgements and then believe it too and be adamant at it .

Edited by tina59 - 17 years ago
ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago