Debate Mansion

Is it hard not to cross IFpersonal space - Page 6

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Girls are discussing this happening a whole lot lately. what does everyone think? is it really so hard?? Do you feel that you were attacked and it wasn;t so rude, that you could press the report button, yet some people could use backing off a little? discuss when u felt humiliated with examples.. we all have Personal messages discussing that πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

QT, I am not sure what are we debating here. could you please explain more πŸ˜› thanks!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sowmyaa thumbnail
Moderator's Note:
I would like to request all members not to attack any "group" of members on IF and quote them as confused or any other offensive term. As far we we debate and discuss without offending and using offensive term against member, members or any group of members that's fine, but please don't tag them with unwanted terms eventhough if that's your belief. This goes for all the members. Please take this as a warning.

Thank you for your cooperation!
mermaid_QT thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: sowmyaa

QT, I am not sure what are we debating here. could you please explain more πŸ˜› thanks!

I said it 3 pages ago and hopefully after the exchange of words, things will stay peaceful. I am quoting what I complained about in general.

This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

πŸ˜‰  i thought u'll miss me if i am banned  & this is exactly what i was coming at through this thread

1.  EXCESSIVE trashing western values in spite of being OBLIVIOUS / ignorant of them
2. BLONDE dumbness talk
3. ABCD bashing
4. discussing members' vital stats / capabilities of their husbands / whether they are taking care of family or not / asking who women's partners are other than husbands 🀒  ..
5. making obscene jokes of certain threads that were started for pure INFORMATIVE aim in mind.  Fun is fun,  but some matters are SERIOUS and keeping them serious maintains sanctity of DM according to many, not just me. ( The Netaji speech, in particular, instead of trashing it)

I have seen all the above in past 2 weeks and it is LOW.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Maya_M

I agree that everyone has a right to state an opinion. But no one has a right to get personal or cross the line of decency. Many of us here like to play devil's advocate so it is not always necessary that while debating we are actually posting from our personal experience. People don't come here to preach.

An erudite doesn't get personal while debating but actually posts his POV with conviction. Debating is just not an argument to win and quoting my favourite devil's advocate, presently MIA Jatayu, debating is "Interacting, listening to other viewpoints - which should broaden our own views."

Again I am not advocating personal attacks i am just quoting possible reasons...why personal attacks come into picture.. 😊

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Maya_M

What will happen if the American born members of DM start addressing you and I as Freshies and PIGS? I am glad the kids born here are so well read that never ever any member used those kind of words for us India born members.

Ok here is the thing. I didnt create the term. This has come into use to such an extent that there was a movie called ABCD.. All thats happening is occasional mentions of this term on the debate which shouldnt be blown out of proportions... You have to realize ABCD has had its own cycle of evolution... which needs to be delved into and its not something like "name calling" which you so intently try and present...πŸ˜•

This content was originally posted by: qwertyesque

Ok here is the thing. I didnt create the term. This has come into use to such an extent that there was a movie called ABCD.. All thats happening is occasional mentions of this term on the debate which shouldnt be blown out of proportions... You have to realize ABCD has had its own cycle of evolution... which needs to be delved into and its not something like "name calling" which you so intently try and present...πŸ˜•

I agree that ABCD was not a term created by you and neither is PIG and Freshie by our fellow DMers. Members of DM who were born in US/Canada/UK could get hurt due to constant use of terms like ABCD as I would if someone call me a Freshie or PIG because I migrated to US years later. If you have then they too have valid reasons for calling us a Freshie. So if we keep hurtful acronyms out of our debate then it would be good for all of us and I am not preaching. Just a POV. Baaki aapki marji😊

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/502584

ABCD : American born confused Desi

PIG : Poor Indian Graduate

FOB/Freshie: Fresh off the Boat

Can't we do without these terms on IF? How many here find these funny and good humour?

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
Morning_Dew thumbnail
[😊Edited by Morning_Dew - 17 years ago
*Jaya* thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: tania.ganguly

Darn , Looks like I missed all the patakhas and late saturday night partying. 😭

People surely can have a different POV, and that is what debating is all about.

Debating is also about "LISTENING" to the other person's POV and voicing your own to counter it.

There is no need to get personal and commenting on other person's remarks just to try adding the so called "fun" factor.

Very well put Tania - yes the basic rules of debate should be that you debate on the issue, attack the topic and not the person who thinks unlike you... Me thinking unlike you does not make me right and you wrong or vice-versa... Once the objectivity is lost, any debate goes down the drain!

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Dear Friends!!

Respect the views of other members of the forum.Each is really a special person here.Stop quarrelling like Kids.

If any one feels that other person has done any mistake,just forgive them.

Please remember that "NO PERSON SHOULD BE JUDGED BY HIS/HER MISTAKES".Look into the good side of that person,if you feel that you don't have the necessity of seeing the good side of any person and quarell only on the indecent side of a person it just shows your attitude.

So please don't quarrell!!!

Let us all move forward with peace and harmony like this:

Cheers,

Mythili

PS: please don't question me how to stand around the globeπŸ˜†

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago