Mockery (short story - 395 words) - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago
Inspiration - This idea came into my head when someone asked me are your superstitious? I thought, what if i was?
And the rest as they say is history. 😆

MOCKERY

(10 February 2007)

OH GOD, nooooooo, I screamed mentally. Did he have to pass by my house, that too NOW? – Just when I was heading out for important work! I have to act, and act fast, else, I'm going to get fired, Apprentice style – 'Mr. Tandon, you're fired. Out!'

Think, think…. 1,2,3…loading…brain……..….Damn… My brain has gone numb.

I look out the window; he's still standing in the middle of the road. No one else seems to notice him. Everyone on the street is going on with their usual business, Mrs Tandon bargaining with the bhaji-wala, Old man Rao walking his granddaughter & blah, blah…

I contemplate jumping out the window, for my business cannot wait. I'd have liked to take the back door, if only my house had one! I cast another look on the street to make sure that no one would notice me when I walk out from the window instead of the front door.

The course was clear; I unlocked the windowsill, raised the pane up and lobbed my right leg out of the window. I was halfway through my emergency-window-escape when a voice startled me and I literally fell out on the street, like a pea spilling out of its pod!

'Tandon, sneaking out of your own house eh? And you aren't even married yet!' Old man Rao chortled.

Very funny, I thought. 'Was I suppose to laugh?' I sniggered, 'If yes, then let me go hahahaha…'

'The joke was for my pleasure, not yours. Anyway, I need an answer, why are you sneaking out? Running from someone eh?'

I hate how he makes that 'eh' sound. 'Not really?' I answered.

'Then unreal-lee, I suppose?' There, he laughed again.

'You won't leave me till I explain!' to that, he nodded. 'You see the dark chap right in front on my door?' I said turning to face my main door.

'You mean the black cat?' He looked puzzled.

'Uh-ya, the black cat. He cut my way right before my meeting. I couldn't risk starting my workday on this inauspicious note.'.

'How superstitious, I want to laugh, but I respect your beliefs!' Rao looked amused.' Let me shoo-Mr. Cat away' Rao offered. 'Kitty, shoo….hurrrr…'

The cat wouldn't budge.
Were my beliefs being mocked? – By the physical presence of an adamant cat and mentally by old Rao? ……. I'd never really know. (Period)

-----------

Read,Review, Comment, Criticize!
Preeti :)