Why no one from Bollywood got the Bharat Ratna award yet? - Page 5

Posted: 1 years ago

Bcoz the general perception about movies is them being dirty. And an award like Bharat Ratna can not be given to dirty people unless they have extremely washed image even being part of Bollywood.

Originally posted by Alpenliebe

Sachin never deserved over Major Dhyanchand. Sachin is just another personal acheiver. And this God of cricket thing is just another exaggeration.

Now, if someone truly deserves this award, is Ratan Tata. No one deserves more than him. Awarding him will somehow restore the lost glory of our highest civilian award.

And Bharat Ratna isn't some paan masala award that Zubaan Kesari bol diya and award mil gaya. Please don't compare the likes of Shahrukh Khan etc with the contribution of Mother Teresa or Nelson Mandela or Ratan Tata just for the sake of comparison. 

Yes. The runs Sachin scored never got added to Indian tally and wickets he took the batsmen were allowed to play again. And catches he took considered dropped.

To be fair, achievements of Bollywood filmmakers and actors are also personal only. They do not set out to do anything for nation. They expand own business and make monies.

I am sure YRF did not penetrate global markets as some service to nation to promote Indian films. They did it to purely expand own business and tap into South Asian diaspora abroad that lacks entertainment options of own culture and unknowingly in process they got some foreign audience for Indian films too. 

Originally posted by atominis

To be fair, achievements of Bollywood filmmakers and actors are also personal only. They do not set out to do anything for nation. They expand own business and make monies.

I am sure YRF did not penetrate global markets as some service to nation to promote Indian films. They did it to purely expand own business and tap into South Asian diaspora abroad that lacks entertainment options of own culture and unknowingly in process they got some foreign audience for Indian films too. 

I disagree with that. Bollywood plays important role in India and South Asia. I live in a western country and I see so many other countries people watch Bollywood movies. Couple days ago, some Arab woman asked me about SRK. So Bollywood people does have contributions for the country. I don’t see the hype like Bollywood from other countries in South Asia like Pakistan or any other countries. 

Bollywood does it for own business. Not as service for nation. Neither does Bollywood make original or cutting edge, path breaking content which can make global impact.

SRK popular in some country does not make him worthy of Bharat Ratna at all. His films are average fare. Popular popcorn entertainers come and go every few decades. No big deal.

Aise toh someone will demand Bharat Ratna for Rajinikanth claiming he bridged North and South divide, united India and made Tamil films popular abroad too given how he is popular in Malaysia, Japan etc too. But it makes no sense at all given his films are no great shakes, nothing original and have no excellence or path breaking stuff at all. 

This is like awarding US Congressional medal to makers of Coca Cola for popularizing an American drink abroad. Just makes no sense. 

Bharat Ratna is for likes of exceptional, excellent and original talent and global or national standard work. Not for merely being rich and famous or else even Ambani would get it at drop of a hat.

To be fair, achievements of Bollywood filmmakers and actors are also personal only. They do not set out to do anything for nation. They expand own business and make monies....

Well, they pay taxes on their income...and the taxes are for the nation, no?

Tourism has increased because of the spread of Indian movies overseas (not only NRI audience). There are so- called 'Bollywood tours' offered to those who want to see the movie locations. Indian culture and Indian clothes found increased interest with not NRI people through the movies....just some examples that are positive for the nation...

In the West, SRK is labeled as 'ambassador of Hindi Cinema' (among others)...it is mainly through his movies that non NRI people got an interest in and a liking for India/Hindi Cinema/Indian cinema. So, , he does something more than only acting in "popcorn movies". (which doesn't mean that I think he should get this award)

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago

You are joking right? Mother Teresa and Mandela have actually worked for people in real life. 

WTH does a film star do for others in real life that you compared some SRK or Sridevi to Mandela?

Disgusting tbh.

Raj Kapoor, Amitabh, Satyajit Ray and even Mithun were popular abroad before SRK even entered Bollywood. Why should SRK get Bharat Ratna? For doing same old romantic family dramas for 3 decades with outstretched arms in same YRF, Dharma or Farah films? What excellence is that? And WTH special has Sridevi done by doing hundreds of films? 

There have been talented actors and superstars before and will be so later too. Nothing great about Khans or Sridevi. Or any filmi star.

They did routine commercial fare. They have no excellence or originality. 

I don't understand how he is a global star and made BW global?

Mithun's Disco Dancer movie was such a hit internationally  (except in America and Western Europe) and Rajkapoor was very popular in Soviet Union and his movies were hits... Heard ABsr was very popular in Egyprt 

This was before internet, and before the world truly became a global village like it's now 

Edited by BettyA1 - 1 years ago

As soon as I saw the topic, I knew this was going to be about SRK :)

BTW why hasn't he been awarded Nishan-e-Imtiaz yet?

DK was awarded...

Well, no. it's NOT about SRK, it's about Cinema personalities not having the 'needed' merit to get this national award...

I just try to counter some arguments...

Originally posted by Clochette

Well, no. it's NOT about SRK, it's about Cinema personalities not having the 'needed' merit to get this national award...

I just try to counter some arguments...

I understand Clochette

I was not talking about you or anyone in particular

Other members brought up his name too, before you did :)