Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheGirlofRagas thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by: Raina101

There’s nothing wrong in her using the immunity pin. The immunity pin is a boon for challenges where you think you can’t do well.

Unfortunately for Aruna, she participated in the show knowing well there will be tasks where she may have to cook with meat, seafood or eggs. And I remember she made a Thai dish with meat. 

If she was so particular about not cooking with meat, seafood or eggs, she shouldn’t have participated or waited till they came up with another vegetarian season. It’s not like it can as a surprise that she’d have to cook with the above mentioned ingredients.

I understand what you’re saying. I’ve turned vegetarian a few years ago and wish I didn’t have to cook meat for the family. But I still do (like many others).

No no. It is you who is thinking that she used the immunity pin and it's nothing wrong with it. But majority feel that she played safe and are calling her timid. They're saying it is just eggs, she could have done it and won hearts. 

Now Aruna has participated in MC in which Veg and Non Veg food is being cooked and tasted. But we all know that MC Donalds has a vegetarian menu in India. It was firstly a Non Veg Outlet. But it turned into Veg for India. Now considering India the format of MC should be kept in mind. 

Does this means that vegetarian people should show no guts to appear in MC? Aruna had the pin but what if she didn't have it. A deserving contestant going out because of the ingredient which she will never cook in her career of being a chef. 

Isn't this about your culinary skills irrespective of you being vegetarian or non vegetarian.Seriously too much of Non Veg food in MC makes me a little down, as if there is nothing left to cook. 

My case is that we have never touched that food in my lifetime. It's not like we have left eating Non Veg, we have accepted that eating Non veg/eggs oppose our morals. Same happened with Aruna. 

TheGirlofRagas thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Deltablues

What I think is this : People shouldn't be forced to eat or not eat anything barring canibalism, of course.

And I don't think anyone should be discriminated against for food. It is a fundamental thing. However, I don't think they can contractually force anyone to do aomething that goes against their religious freedom without their consent. They cannot kegally force someone to cook with pork/red meat/wine either unless they have signed an NOC. Otherwise, it makes them liable to lawsuits. So, Aruna must have signed an NOC while signing up for the show.

Lastly, baking and most dessert techniques are precise chemistry. So even when chefs bring out veg recipes, they know exactly how eggs or gelatin reacts in a given process. So, while one can become a chef without touching, knowing or even looking at meats. Eggs are too basic for one to not understand even if they don't eat it. 

Eggs are basic, But we don't understand it. Cooking eggs I don't oppose but those who have never cooked eggs are bound to be nervous. 

Kirti Bhoutika in MC 5 cooked duck because of the challenge. She is a vegetarian. She lost the challenge. But I don't think they sign up such contract. If that was the case then, The ingredients given to the non vegetarian people and vegetarian people would have been different. If Everyone was given eggs, then Aruna would have been aloted something else. These 3 challenges of the eggs would have been skipped and the contestant would have been asked to make a final dish only. 

You are right legally this is not right if a vegetarian has to cook non veg out of circumstances

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

I agree with u..and it's not like audience doesn't like contestants who cook only veg. Baa is the most loved contestant this season..people still want her back..and her YouTube channel is quite popular too..cooking only veg.

But am not disappointed on Baa's elimination..coz despite her understanding of flavours n years of experience she wouldn't have been comfortable in that kitchen. U can't desensitize urself enough at this age to work around non veg when u haven't done that ever. 

There is another YouTube channel of a Punjabi grandma cooking food in bulk with the help of her grandson ..she feeds children and food is all veg. 

There r tons of all veg restaurants n eateries in India and they r doing great. Its people's choice what they want to cook/eat or don't.

Don't know what sort of contract they have in MCI..but it's contestant's choice whether to work on the given stuff or not. If u can't and the further step is elimination challenge then so be it. Choose whatever is ur priority.

As for me..can't ever eat anything that I have seen walking around on its own legs😀

Deltablues thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: musicalstorm

Eggs are basic, But we don't understand it. Cooking eggs I don't oppose but those who have never cooked eggs are bound to be nervous. 

Kirti Bhoutika in MC 5 cooked duck because of the challenge. She is a vegetarian. She lost the challenge. But I don't think they sign up such contract. If that was the case then, The ingredients given to the non vegetarian people and vegetarian people would have been different. If Everyone was given eggs, then Aruna would have been aloted something else. These 3 challenges of the eggs would have been skipped and the contestant would have been asked to make a final dish only. 

You are right legally this is not right if a vegetarian has to cook non veg out of circumstances

If Aruna or anyone sues sony or endemol for religious supression saying that we were compelled to cook or eat xyz so that our economic opportunity doesn't get hampered, then the litigation will be long and the defendant will lose the case because it violates at least three fundamental rights ensured by the Indian constitution.

I am pretty sure all of them have signed NOC regarding certain foods, ingredients etc.

Deltablues thumbnail
Originally posted by: musicalstorm

No no. It is you who is thinking that she used the immunity pin and it's nothing wrong with it. But majority feel that she played safe and are calling her timid. They're saying it is just eggs, she could have done it and won hearts. 

Now Aruna has participated in MC in which Veg and Non Veg food is being cooked and tasted. But we all know that MC Donalds has a vegetarian menu in India. It was firstly a Non Veg Outlet. But it turned into Veg for India. Now considering India the format of MC should be kept in mind. 

Does this means that vegetarian people should show no guts to appear in MC? Aruna had the pin but what if she didn't have it. A deserving contestant going out because of the ingredient which she will never cook in her career of being a chef. 

Isn't this about your culinary skills irrespective of you being vegetarian or non vegetarian.Seriously too much of Non Veg food in MC makes me a little down, as if there is nothing left to cook. 

My case is that we have never touched that food in my lifetime. It's not like we have left eating Non Veg, we have accepted that eating Non veg/eggs oppose our morals. Same happened with Aruna. 

Okay, let me argue otherwise : I don't think McDonalds India only serves Veg. If you argue that many Indians are vegetarian and shouldn't be forced to cook or eat meat, it is only fair and morally correct. But statistically there are more omnivores in India than vegetarians. If an omnivore goes to McDonalds, why should they be forced to eat only vegetarian food? 

And omnivores face massive housing discrimination in North India including Gujarat. I can tell you, my family had to give up cooking pungent fish because our landowner did not consume meat. Did we force the landowner to eat or cook what we consume? No. But we had to give up eating something that is considered sacred and ritualistic in our community. We offer it to the gods during wedding ceremonies as prasad. Many 'Hìndu' communities in India considers certain types of meat sacred, let alone tribal or Abrahimic religions where it's more standardised. Isn't enforced vegetarianism equally unfair and hurtful to someone's religious practices?

I don't think there is anything fundamentally vegetarian about India. People consume and have different types of food and should be free to do so 

A show like MCI has to be representative of all otf India's cuisines at large. Aruna signed up and consented to deal with these ingredients. Had she not, maybe she wouldn't have been selected. But she's a sane, consenting adult who signed up a legal contract knowing its pros and cons

Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Okay, let me argue otherwise : I don't think McDonalds India only serves Veg. If you argue that many Indians are vegetarian and shouldn't be forced to cook or eat meat, it is only fair and morally correct. But statistically there are more omnivores in India than vegetarians. If an omnivore goes to McDonalds, why should they be forced to eat only vegetarian food? 

And omnivores face massive housing discrimination in North India including Gujarat. I can tell you, my family had to give up cooking pungent fish because our landowner did not consume meat. Did we force the landowner to eat or cook what we consume? No. But we had to give up eating something that is considered sacred and ritualistic in our community. We offer it to the gods during wedding ceremonies as prasad. Many 'Hìndu' communities in India considers certain types of meat sacred, let alone tribal or Abrahimic religions where it's more standardised. Isn't enforced vegetarianism equally unfair and hurtful to someone's religious practices?

I don't think there is anything fundamentally vegetarian about India. People consume and have different types of food and should be free to do so 

A show like MCI has to be representative of all otf India's cuisines at large. Aruna signed up and consented to deal with these ingredients. Had she not, maybe she wouldn't have been selected. But she's a sane, consenting adult who signed up a legal contract knowing its pros and cons

This is a very old article..will look up the current status..but McD has made many India specific changes. Both in Veg and Non veg

https://theweek.com/articles/472661/worlds-first-vegetarian-mcdonalds-guide

Edited by Kyahikahoon - 1 years ago
Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Btw yet to watch the part of episode where Aruna cried..started it late. Want to watch now since it merits so much discussion 

Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

This is a very old article..will look up the current status..but McD has made many India specific changes. Both in Veg and Non veg

The menu was adapted to suit the tastebuds of Indians. They added a vegetarian menu because a lot of people are vegetarian. And even meat eaters are usually vegetarian on certain days.

Coming back to the discussion - a few years ago there was a Masterchef where only vegetarian food was cooked, she should’ve participated then. 
As the show progresses there will be moments when she will have to cook with eggs or meat (and she’s already done that). If this is her vulnerability, I’m sure it will be exploited on the show. After all, this is a competition.

Deltablues thumbnail
Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

Thanks for the article but it doesn't really answer my questiom : As the article itself says, 58% Indians consume meat so that's a clear majority. Should they be forced to eat from a vegetarian menu at  McDonalds? If I consider it a waste of my money to spend more than 10 rupees on an aloo tikki, shouldn't McDonalds provide value for my money? You can argue that I could go to another restaurant in such a case. That would be logical and practical.

But can that same arguement not be made for Aruna/Gurkirat/ Baa? That they could choose to not participate in the show?

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago
Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Thanks for the article but it doesn't really answer my questiom : As the article itself says, 58% Indians consume meat so that's a clear majority. Should they be forced to eat from a vegetarian menu at  McDonalds? If I consider it a waste of my money to more than 10 rupees on an aloo tikki, shouldn't McDonalds not provide value for my money? You can argue that I could go to another restaurant in such a case. That would be logical and practical.

But can that same arguement not be made for Aruna/Gurkirat/ Baa? That they could choose to not participate in the show?

They have outlets which serve both ..all veg outlets r mostly at religious and pilgrimage sites. There devotees mostly eat veg even if they r omnivores.

These outlets decide only from business perspective..else I strongly believe food preferences r individual choices..no one can be forced to eat or not eat a particular thing..it's even difficult to force a diabetic to stop eating sugar despite health concern😂