Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Shallow observation: the actor playing Vishvambhar has facial features and expressions that remind me of Jayshankar Danave, who played villainous characters in Marathi movies of the 1960's.

Edited to add: Ram Daund is the actor who plays Vishvambhar.

When Vishvambhar said that looking at Savi's eyes reminded him of someone, I thought, will there be a twist with these two discovering that they are father and daughter? (That twist with Ātyābāī and Siddhi on Jīva Zhālā Yeḍāpisā was not set up properly.) Of course, if that were the case, one would expect Vishvambhar to have recognized Sharada when he gathered information about Savi, and Sharada to have recognized Vishvambhar when they came face-to-face. Or, since Sharada knocked on Dipu's door after Savi was born, Savi's missing father might even recognize Savi Waghmare as his own daughter's name, even if his real name is not what he used to marry Sharada. Maybe Vishvambhar has changed his face since his youth, and being a villain, he is hiding his awareness that the woman arrested for stealing his car is his own daughter, while using her to defraud his sister's stepson.

Anyway, Vishvambhar shares a saint's name, and his "saintly" dialogues are brilliant!

So far, none of the characters has any signature dialogue to repeat in every scene. What a relief!

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 10 months ago

The name plate of the Kawathekar mansion reads भिमा सदन. It should be भीमा सदन. Will Ballal Gurujī ever visit and point out the mistake?

I wonder how the Kawathekar family got its unique structure: Vishvambhar's sister is the mother of Vidyadhar, Balaram, and at least one more child of Bhalachandra Kawathekar, who recently died, and yet the only heir controlling the family's bank and sugar factory is her stepson Arjun.

Arjun is younger than his half-brother Vidyadhar, and yet when Vidyadhar tells Arjun that their mother is waiting for them, if only one mother lives with them, that must be Vishvambhar's sister. Is Arjun older than Balaram and the other sibling, or younger? Is Arjun's mother dead or institutionalized, or did she run away?

One possibility is that Arjun is the product of Bhalachandra's extramarital affair or bigamy while married to Vishvambhar's sister, and Bhalachandra's passion for Arjun's mother is the reason that Arjun was his favourite.

Another possibility (typical masālā of Indian TV) is that Bhalachandra was married to Arjun's mother first, but they received a medical (or astrological 😆) opinion that childbearing would kill her. (Or maybe there was some infertility issue.) So Bhalachandra brought on Vishvambhar's sister to start their family. (But maybe his first wife had to go on a hunger strike to persuade him; he was so unwilling.) Anyway, after Vidyadhar was born, Bhalachandra and his first wife had their miracle baby, Arjun, but Arjun's mother died in childbirth. That made Bhalachandra especially protective of motherless Arjun out of all his children.

Does anyone know whether children born in wedlock have an advantage in ancestral inheritance under Indian law? Primogeniture is a basis to contest a will, right? If Bhalachandra was legally married to Vidyadhar's mother when Arjun was born (i.e. Arjun's parents were either divorced or never married at the time of his birth), would Bhalachandra have been able to leave everything to Arjun and make Vidyadhar dependent on him?

Vishvambhar was formerly the factory's director. Did Bhalachandra remove his money-laundering brother-in-law? Or did Arjun do it?

Will it be revealed that Vidyadhar lost the use of his right arm and leg while saving Arjun's life?

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Is this the real story or is it fantasy 🤣 enjoyed the read 👍🏼

Originally posted by: DelusionsOfNeha

Is this the real story or is it fantasy 🤣 enjoyed the read 👍🏼

The real story is a fantasy. Robin Hood characters like Savi who rob the rich and distribute to the poor are a fantasy. Arjun always having a noble reason to belt-whip someone, foreclose on someone's house, or impale someone's hand on a fork ... which is revealed just after Savi leaves the scene or just before she returns ... that is Chinmay Mandlekar's fantasy that coincidence is the soul of suspense.

All of the events that I mentioned in my first five posts in this topic (two posts on page 1, three posts on page 2) have already happened on the show. My speculation about Vishvambhar somehow being Savi's father is not a fantasy that I want to come true.

My sixth post about the Kawathekar family history is speculation ("possibility") based on the details revealed so far.

The last few episodes have been just treading water, not setting up the Kawathekar family properly or making any noticeable progress with the plot.

I had expected to see Arjun at home with his family, to get a sense of how they all relate to each other. Instead, we saw Arjun's sister Priya with Savi ... Vishvambhar introducing Arjun's stepmother Krishna'i to Savi ... Vidyadhar's wife Nanda spewing nastiness at Savi while Balaram's wife Shali giggled foolishly ... Priya trying to get a word in while Arjun yelled at Savi ... Krishna'i and Priya going to visit Savi ...

Vidyadhar, who had invited Savi to dinner, wasn't at the table (which didn't have enough seats for Krishna'i, Vishvambhar, four siblings, two daughters-in-law, and two guests). Vidyadhar didn't join his mother and sister for the apology visit to Savi, but according to Priya, he scolded Nanda (scene not shown) after she had already driven away his guest. Krishna'i played statue while her daughters-in-law misbehaved, leaving it to the youngest family member, Priya, to shout at them. Did anyone actually eat dinner in this family? Arjun didn't know where his stepmother and sister had gone until they came back.

Instead of Savi making any stepwise plan to win Arjun's trust, marry him, and cheat him, we're stuck in a cycle of Savi being given a chance to meet Arjun ... Savi getting distracted by some other conflict ... Savi unintentionally assaulting Arjun and bickering with him ... Savi quitting her job without a thought for her mother's brain tumour and going to prison ... and repeat.

Arjun's dialogues and body language tell us that he cares about Vidyadhar's hospitality to Savi, and he cares about Priya's safety that Savi defended ... but with the next line, Arjun scoffs at the idea of apologizing to Savi or thanking her, even when his misunderstandings of her have been cleared up. It doesn't make sense that Arjun, whose harsh treatment of everyone else is immediately followed by "Take him to the hospital," drags out his enmity with Savi.

I didn't like Arjun's line: "My reaction would have been the same if this had happened to anyone else's sister." Harassment isn't about a woman's identity as someone's sister; it's an insult to her personhood, not to her brother's honour.

Were we supposed to cheer when Savi made Nanda fall face first in the mud? Nanda and Shali are not love-to-hate villains. They have no apparent motivation to be so boorish and antagonistic. They don't deserve a response from Savi or from the audience.

MahāRavivāra episodes are supposed to give the audience a treat: a long-awaited wedding or sports match or a romantic surprise.

What was the point of this MahāRavivāra episode for Piratīçā Vanavā Urī Peṭalā?

All of the scenes were quite ordinary and there was no unifying theme. Muddy Nanda ... Balaram challenges Arjun to arm-wrestle ... Vishvambhar doesn't realize that Savi is manipulating Krishna'i to feel sorry for her and move her into the outhouse with Dipu and Çamaki ... Arjun sends Vidyadhar off to a kīrtana ... Arjun calls Savi "Miss Vaśilā" one more time ... Dipu tells Savi what to expect of each member of the Kawathekar family, and the action repeatedly jumps to the next morning and back to last night ... Shali pretentiously drinks grinti (green tea) ... Mona Māmī practises sorcery ... Balaram and Arjun prepare to arm-wrestle.

On Monday's episode, the action continues to jump back and forth jarringly, from the long arm-wrestling scene in the morning to Dipu's narration last night, and on to the Kawathekars lining up to receive their monthly allowance at 10 am.

How does Dipu know the family's individual quirks already, let alone their monthly routine? He started work as their cook maybe a day before Vishvambhar took Savi to Vidyadhar and Arjun for the clerk's job, which was the day Çamaki moved in with him. This is just the next night and morning after. The family didn't have time to notice that the cook who arrived without a daughter suddenly has one living with him, but the cook had plenty of time to study the family!

Obviously setting up another misunderstanding for Savi, Arjun tells Priya that she won't go to college anymore, starting today. Why, because she was assaulted at the temple? Yes. "But that's not my fault!" Priya protests, and Savi grumbles to herself that Arjun is depriving his sister of college instead of tracking down the perverts. Unlike the earlier misunderstandings, this one isn't elucidated for the audience in the same episode.

When we find out that Arjun has arranged private lessons for Priya, or whatever, will that make everything all right? Arjun is still disrupting his sister's routine and telling her to live in fear, even if it's only temporary. He is still denying Priya a healthy experience of face-to-face dialogue with peers and instructors. If the family that rules the town reacts to two incidents of sexual misconduct in a public place by keeping Priya at home, how will anyone less powerful stand up for realistic solutions to make public places safe for women and girls?

Arjun making Priya cry bothers me more than his brusque treatment of everyone else in the earlier scenes where Savi got only one side of the story.

When Arjun belt-whipped the union leader and told him, "You're a poor man? Then behave like one!" because Arjun somehow knew about the man's plot to assassinate Dipesh, that was outrageous entertainment, and I could accept that Arjun actually respects labourers when Savi isn't watching. Arjun's justification for injuring Ganapat's hand with a fork, that Ganapat should feel what his victim felt, makes sense primitively.

In the real world and in fiction, rich people do shout at workers for being sick, and busy people do tell suicidal strangers that they don't care. It's terrible, but it's par, and that's why someone with empathy gets credit for being a better person. So, when Arjun acts callous and then flips to speaking on behalf of hardworking commoners, I accept that he's strict but his heart is in the right place.

The situation with Priya is troublesome because Arjun isn't dominating strangers this time; he's asserting superiority as brother over sister in the context of a household in which males and females function in non-overlapping spheres. Arjun runs a bank and a factory that Vishvambhar used to mismanage; Vidyadhar runs an orphanage; Balaram leads a gang ... but Krishna'i and Vishvambhar's wife are homemakers, and when Arjun asks Nanda what she has done to be recognized as thoralī sūna, he only talks of cooking and housekeeping, not a career or charity work. Shali is another stereotype of image-obsessed idle rich women. Priya, who is intelligent enough to analyze Arjun and compose bad poetry, is labelled ardhavaṭa by Dipu, implying that the creatives want her vivacious innocence to come across as childlike to justify Arjun's paternalism.

The show's promo for MahāRavivāra had Balaram, Vidyadhar, Priya, Vishvambhar and his wife all hanging their heads in front of Arjun for their allowances. Since that scene hasn't happened as of Monday, the promo was false advertising.

I see myself in the way Arjun treats his family.

Like Arjun, I am surrounded by people who are terrible with money.

Like Shali, they buy goods and services just for vanity, and hate to use them.

Like Nanda, they believe in whatever they have always done so far. Thus, they choose bad investments with nice-sounding names, forget to calculate returns, miss opportunities to diversify, and forget to set aside tax-exempt assets by the "pay yourself first" rule.

Like Krishna'i, they do everything face-to-face, unwilling to learn basic self-service banking. This leads to embarrassing mistakes like writing a check with the wrong currency (bounce!), forgetting to cash a check for a year or two, and paying the same bill twice.

Like Vishvambhar, they don't bother to read the rules. They pay taxes that they don't owe. Too lazy to adjust their budget for inflation, they deflect blame when their income falls short of their expenses.

Like Balaram, they demand respect for their incompetence. "However much I deserve, I will get. I don't need to do the math. Your greed will never make you happy."

Like Vidyadhar, they promise donations without checking their bank balance, lose receipts, and expect to make up for lost time.

Like Arjun, I have to walk the line between imposing routines that should encourage good habits and simply taking control of their money.

Arjun is lucky. The people in my life are louder and more violent than those in his.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

That budget scene was overly dramatized tho, especially initially when they were all waiting for monthly checks.. reminded me of similar scene from Hridayi Preet Jaagte when buaji hands out money. Same scenes are repeated in a lot of shows. 

I really wonder how that so called family is rich if they only rely on their forefathers' income. In this economy? Not happening. 

Btw, don't they reject/refund the twice paid amount or adjust it with next payment of bill? Never seen a double payment be accepted anywhere (in automated systems). 

Savi's mission is to win Arjun's trust. She needs the money that Vishvambhar will pay her for fulfilling this mission. Yet, all week long, Savi stupidly allowed pettiness to distract her from her mission, depriving Arjun of her presence and giving him reasons to sack her.

First, she stole Arjun's phone, just to annoy him by wasting his entire day. She told him a lie that he easily caught, thanks to CCTV. (CCTV is typically used to watch employees, not the boss. Will Arjun ever check the CCTV of the outer office and realize that Savitri picked his pocket by bumping into him on purpose?) At best, with Arjun in no mood to be charmed by the new clerk, it would have been one day wasted out of the one month in which Vishvambhar expected Savi to get Arjun to marry her, before the one-year anniversary of his father's death. Now that Arjun knows that Savitri didn't give him back his phone right away; she watched him looking for it all day long, and then she lied about finding it in his office, how is she supposed to win his trust?

The next day, Savi did no work all day, just to amuse herself with a practical joke on Nanda and Shali. Savitri bothered Arjun for Rs. 50,000, spent the whole day at the hospital, committing health insurance fraud, and (if her word is to be trusted) gave the money back to Arjun. Savi accomplished nothing by further antagonizing Nanda and Shali. (Why did they think she would give in to their demand for money, anyway?) Instead of using Phadake's absence to make herself indispensable to Arjun, Savi exacerbated the shortage of employees.

At the very end of Saturday's episode, Savi did an abrupt 180, impressing Arjun with her diligence by having memorized his schedule for the day. On Monday, will the story finally move along?

Thank you, Vikas Pandurang Patil, for putting my reactions in your characters' dialogues! Vishvambhar had my sympathy when he complained that Savi is supposed to win Arjun's trust, but she's doing the opposite. Savi's reaction to Arjun having CCTV in his own cabin was funny: maybe this man doesn't even trust himself!

When Arjun asked the drunk's wife for a rākhī, I thought, how many adoptive sisters has he collected already? Arjun was supposed to attend his latest sister's, Sontakke's daughter's, wedding on "the fifteenth of next month," if I recall correctly. Maybe that's what he was doing while Savi handed out money on her tea break.

I like the self-deprecating expressions on Arjun's face when Priya teases him. The big brother/little sister relationship between Shiva and Sonal on Jīva Zhālā Yeḍāpisā had its beautiful moments, but I didn't like that Sonal was afraid of her brother and yet never withdrew from him for beating up the man she loved. Arjun is a control freak like Shiva, and Priya is what toxic masculinity fantasizes - the innocent little sister always in danger of predators - like Sonal, but it's nice to see Arjun being unguarded with Priya.

When it was Balaram's turn to beat up the men who bumped and almost pinched Priya, and they asked her how many brothers she has, she said, "Two more." We're probably never going to see Vidyadhar using his one good arm to beat anyone, but will Vishvambhar's son Pankaj be benevolent or malevolent to Priya?

Postscript to my admittedly implausible speculation that Vishvambhar could be Savi's father: what if she reminds him of Ganesh Chorge, the man whose daughter he told her to pretend to be?

Mahadu, who worked at the bank where Paras owed money, far from Kawathe-Bhairavgad, now works at Arjun's office. Doesn't he recognize Savitri as the woman who accused him of inappropriate touching?

When Arjun announced that Savitri would treat everyone to lunch, why didn't she immediately say that it was a misunderstanding? Just because she deprived him of his phone for a day and (her point of view) she is supposed to seduce him and (his point of view) she gave money to a drunk who burned an effigy at his door, he doesn't have the right to foist a bill on her.

The scene of Savi following the flute-music reminded me of Siddhi waking up to find Shiva playing the mouth-organ on Jīva Zhālā Yeḍāpisā. Shiva's music was his connection to Sayali when he had betrayed her memory by almost kissing Siddhi. If the flute-player was actually Arjun, what does his music mean to him? We still don't know anything about his mother.