What if India and Pakistan Never Separated? | - Page 3

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by loginidran

Democracy and secularism are two different things though.

I know. Explain that to user crying about Indian democracy with her misinformed self.

The post doesn’t deserve a sincere reply. 

Originally posted by Clochette

One has to look at the past because the past once was the present and shaped the future that now is our present. To understand the present you have to know the reasons that made your present the way it is. Knowing the reasons can help to influence the future in a positive way.

No, unfortunately, India is on the way to become a not-anymore-functioning democracy...and is it really favorable to cement a situation that wasn't a democratic choice but instigated by a foreign power und its rule long before (if one can't win over a united enemy, divide the enemy to make him weaker and then use the dividing to put the parts against each other to destroy the unity forever).

Do you even have an idea what a kind of superpower the Indian subcontinent could have become if no attempt of partition had succeeded???

Partition was a wish of certain sections and it was exploited by the colonizer. As for looking at past well India did help in creation of Bangladesh when it could have easily merged East Pakistan with India. It didn't do that. So the time for dreams of unification is over.

As for democracy India is a functioning democracy and is very much a pluralistic society.At times the right wing ruling party does try to put it's stamp with trying to implement their ideas. They have not been able to do that because our democratic processes will not allow that to happen.If government oversteps there is judicial wing that steps in.

Secularism is a concept imported from the west  a concept born when the political administration was trying to distance itself from the religion. In India the concept of secularism is about respecting all religions and not favouring  one religion over other and respecting the linguistic, religious, ethinic and cultural diversity. The current ruling party knows that if it doesn't respect the diversity it will never gain support.

@Bold India is succeeding anyways. It could have just been the most populous country if there hadn't been partition or it could have broken up into small pieces like Balkan states. 

It's high time Pakistan did some thing about it's begging bowl.

Originally posted by NimbuMirchi

Possibility, it could have gone the Europe way. Like small countries in a sub-continent. 

Given the colonial past it would not have disintegrated into smaller nations (due to fear of colonization again) but given the diversity and humongous population with changed demography it would have been constant bickering. Something like nigla na jaye ugla na jaye type situation!

Originally posted by aparnauma

As for democracy India is a functioning democracy and is very much a pluralistic society.At times the right wing ruling party does try to put it's stamp with trying to implement their ideas. They have not been able to do that because our democratic processes will not allow that to happen.If government oversteps there is judicial wing that steps in.

Secularism is a concept imported from the west  a concept born when the political administration was trying to distance itself from the religion. In India the concept of secularism is about respecting all religions and not favouring  one religion over other and respecting the linguistic, religious, ethinic and cultural diversity. The current ruling party knows that if it doesn't respect the diversity it will never gain support.

bold: That's what I doubt...in a functioning democracy, there wouldn't be cheating at elections or influencing judicial departments or persecute people with false accusations to shut their mouth.

blue: Isn't the "judicial wing' biaised, too, in many entities?

red:However, they don't follow this concept in India and I feel sorry to have to say that I've no faith that a government respects ALL the people of their country disregarding religion, social position and financial income, neither in India nor elsewhere. There may be some democracies that try to do so, but - at the moment, India isn't doing it. It would be a dream come true if one day all people get respect, from the tiny baby to the quivering, demented old ones...

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
Originally posted by Clochette

bold: That's what I doubt...in a functioning democracy, there wouldn't be cheating at elections or influencing judicial departments or persecute people with false accusations to shut their mouth.

blue: Isn't the "judicial wing' biased, too, in many entities?

red:However, they don't follow this concept in India and I feel sorry to have to say that I've no faith that a government respects ALL the people of their country disregarding religion, social position and financial income, neither in India nor elsewhere. There may be some democracies that try to do so, but - at the moment, India isn't doing it. It would be a dream come true if one day all people get respect, from the tiny baby to the quivering, demented old ones...

There are people and there are systems. India has systems in place. So far our judiciary has been more balanced and than  in some highly developed democracies.

What people are doing and what our democratic system provides are two different things.

India is a democracy with a robust constitution and channels to go to when our rights as citizens are violated.

There always will be people any where in the world who will bend the rules to suit themselves. 

For every right wing hate monger there are good number of rabid leftists too. Every one is getting a chance to voice their thoughts. Isn't that a sign of democracy?

There are elections happening you vote for a candidate whose views align with your views. Right now the government is run by right wing party which is elected by the people. We are reading in the news papers when the judiciary is stepping in to keep the govt in check.

I don't see how Indian democracy is in danger.

My views do not align with the party that is in power but I don't feel threatened in any way and I don't see myself being persecuted. I don't mind supporting some of the ideas put forth by the current PM   Atmanirbhar Bharat, Swacch Bharat abhiyan for instance.

The only place which will be devoid of cheating and conflicts is UTOPIA.We are not living in Utopia. India with all it's flaws a functioning democracy. It is run by the people who are elected by the people. People get the king they deserve.

aparnauma, I respect you too much (and your opinion/posts) to feel the need to enter in a more detailed conversation at this place and time.

You love your country...and that is fine for me!

Thanx for your posts! 😊

can anyone guide me with one question , does cheif of army staff in india decide the politicial ground that who will be in government and when will they need to go , i mean  interfering in politics like in pakistan bajwa did 9 month ago and when public went against that decision they started crackdown on people who were protesting agasint this decision to end imran regime by giving the power to those people who were looting the country since last 30 years pml n and ppp,

Arshad Sharif - Senior Pakistani Journalist has been killed in Kenya

this guy got killed by intelligence by speaking agasint the regime change operation 

Originally posted by aparnauma

@bold — is it?

Why does Indian judiciary and law allows Muslim men to marry 4 times and doesn’t allow others the same? 

How is that secular? Secular state means state and religion is separate. Is that really true for Indian states?  

We have 1995 Waqf act in our constitution. Waqf board recently claimed entire TN village as their property. House owner in that village wanted to sell his land but he had to get NOC from waqf. Nobody knew entire village is Waqf property. 

How is that constitutional?

Did ruling party change these rules? Did they add any  rules favoring majority? Read an NYt article and start sprouting nonsense is what the types of clochette can do. 

Originally posted by Arsalan_khan

can anyone guide me with one question , does cheif of army staff in india decide the politicial ground that who will be in government and when will they need to go , i mean  interfering in politics like in pakistan bajwa did 9 month ago and when public went against that decision they started crackdown on people who were protesting agasint this decision to end imran regime by giving the power to those people who were looting the country since last 30 years pml n and ppp,

Arshad Sharif - Senior Pakistani Journalist has been killed in Kenya

this guy got killed by intelligence by speaking agasint the regime change operation 

That doesn’t happen in India. Army doesn’t interfere in Govt’s decisions.

And the current govt has not implemented any policies or any rules that are anti-minority. In fact Muslims enjoy special status in India. Laws and constitution favors them over any community and religion. 

What you read in international media is just propaganda and fake narrative. There is no minority persecution happening in India. Data shows minorities are prospering. 

Originally posted by NimbuMirchi

Did ruling party change these rules? Did they add any  rules favoring majority? Read an NYt article and start sprouting nonsense is what the types of clochette can do. 

I don't know who are my "types"...and reading ONE NYT-article wouldn't shape my thinking...

Didn't you notice at all that you just wrote, what I write, too, that the government doesn't act in a secular way...so NOT according to the constitution? (and I won't start to talk about other governments before...).

What do YOU want, Nimbu, that the government does that would go conform with the constitution (the latest one of May 2022)?