Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

And now Vinod Mehra's daughter--Article

illuminated. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 17 years ago

And now, Vinod Mehra's daughter

Joining the long list of star children, Soniya Mehra is set to make a debut in Bollywood

Back to Section Stories 

Kunal M Shah

Making a beeline for Bollywood, is 18-year-old Soniya Mehra, daughter of late Vinod Mehra and Kiran Mehra. Soniya is all set to step into Bollywood in a film to be produced by Kamal Sadanah and directed by Anant Mahadevan. The film is a remake of Victoria No. 203 where Soniya will be playing the character that was played by Saira Banu in the original.

Soniya Mehra
"Ever since I can remember I have always wanted to act. I have always been fond of Bollywood and acting," she says. Brought up in Kenya, Soniya started her acting training around the age of nine in the London Academy of Music and Arts and started learning dance since the age of four. "After coming to India from Kenya, I came and joined Anupam Kher's acting classes and it was a learning experience. Right now, I am working on my diction and am busy with jazz classes with Uma and Jhetti. Apart from that, I have just finished learning kathak from Viru Krishnaji."

Soniya talks about her debut film with excitement. "I was pleasantly surprised when I got this offer. It's a bit daunting to get a role where I have to step into the shoes of a legendary actress like Saira Banuji, at the outset of my career. I have seen the original but after signing the remake, I saw it twice more. I am sure it is going to be a wonderful journey. Right now it all sounds and feels very exciting."

Speaking about her family, she says, "My family knows how important it is for me to make a mark in Bollywood and they are all happy for me. I have always believed that if I can be even half as good as my father, he will be very proud of me. I have seen many of his films but I have loved him most in Ghar with Rekhaji as he made me cry and laugh in the film."

The only memories Soniya has of her father are those which her mother has  told her. Trying to fill the vacuum created by the absence of her father, Soniya admits to her mother being her strength. "My father had so much goodwill in the industry, I am confident that people will feel the same affection for me too. I know there will be comparisons, of course. I was very young when my dad passed away and I don't remember much about him. But my mom used to tell me that I was his princess. He used to pamper me. My mom also told me that I was a very spoilt child because of him. I just wish I could have spent some more time with him or that he were around to see me making my debut," she says.

Sadanah, the producer of the film says, "Anupam Kher is instrumental in shaping Soniya's acting career. We had already started shooting for the film when Amrita Arora opted out and I was in a dilemma. I wanted a face for this character of Saira Banu. Anupam recommended Soniya to me. We screen-tested her and the results were good."

* I have seen many of his films but I have loved him most in Ghar with Rekhaji, as he made me cry and laugh in the film
– Soniya Mehra

Source: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=30&contentid=2007013002584620366601a0e

Saraa

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swethapreetham thumbnail
Very good start for her career. Lets wait and watch.
simran1285 thumbnail
Aww that is so sweet, I feel bad for she really seems to miss her dad..God bless her and may she have a rocking career, also she looks quite like her dad, very pretty girl