Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by: rckRadhe

20th IIFA Awards in 2019 was a good pre-pandemic throwback time. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yup who can ever forget Aloo winning best actress for extended promo in Gully Boy. I bet you no Oscars actress has won with such little screen place. Yet people dispute the disparity in credibility of the two awards. ๐Ÿ˜†

rckRadhe thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 1 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

Yup who can ever forget Aloo winning best actress for extended promo in Gully Boy. I bet you no Oscars actress has won with such little screen place. Yet people dispute the disparity in credibility of the two awards. ๐Ÿ˜†

20th IIFA 2019 ... As in Raazi with Vicky ? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

atominis thumbnail

See, usually awards try to play safe. They try to avoid giving awards to films based on sensitive communal or political issues and real life incidents. I do not remember commercial award shows giving awards to Firaaq, Parzania, Amu or 1947 Earth or Hey Ram or 31st October. I was surprised Jogi even managed to release on Netflix without boycott calls. Diljit had been trolled on FB when he shared promos of Jogi with some usual suspects accusing him of being Khalistani, or giving one sided stories or not making films on killings of Hindus by militants and justifying 1984 pogrom as a reaction that Sikhs had coming or accusing filmmaker and star of reopening old wounds.

Due to its theme, lack of promotions and due to Diljit earlier having backlash for taking on Kangana and supporting farmers, Filmfares or IIFAs had to ignore Diljit and Jogi.

They are already reeling under boycott calls so they try to play safe and give nominations to Brahmastra or Gangubai than Jogi.

Diljit seems to have burnt bridges in Bollywood also for not compromising on his ideals and beliefs. He has spoken against lot who asked him to stop wearing turban or sport clean shaven look or avoid social or religious or political causes or big stars and producers giving him attitude.

He is content in his self made stardom as a singer and Punjabi superstar and does not want to lick boots of Bollywood biggies. That is also a reason why award juries did not bother about him after Udta Punjab.

It is same as Aamir who refused to butter juries or bigwigs and also speaks his mind freely on issues he believes in. He banned awards himself after juries also ignored him.

I do not think Jogi or Diljit need validation from Filmfare. Social media and audience have proven commercial awards are trash. Even a minion like Kangana has mocked and exposed awards many times. TRPs of awards are also falling in recent years. Nowadays people do not even see awards for entertainment or chance to see stars because stars are already overexposed anyway and everyone knows awards are scripted and edited, never shown live.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Not actress but actor. Anthony Hopkins won best lead actor for Silence of Lambs for 16 minute role. 

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Not actress but actor. Anthony Hopkins won best lead actor for Silence of Lambs for 16 minute role. 

In that movie, he plays a cannibalistic serial killer. Was Aloo's role that interesting in Gully Boy. And he was in the movie for at least 25 minutes. I should have known you were here to come for Bollywood's defense. 

atominis thumbnail

DCH managed because Akhtars made it and awards are kinder to Akhtars too. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

In that movie, he plays a cannibalistic serial killer. Was Aloo's role that interesting in Gully Boy. And he was in the movie for at least 25 minutes. I should have known you were here to come for Bollywood's defense. 

I dont know how interesting AK was in SOTL. I never saw the movie. BIlly Crystal in City Slickers was maybe the best of 1991 and he didnt get a nod. How sad. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Originally posted by: atominis

DCH managed because Akhtars made it and awards are kinder to Akhtars too. 

Like I said earlier one of my favorite films of 2001 was Ajnabee. An it got nothing 

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Originally posted by: atominis

He is content in his self made stardom as a singer and Punjabi superstar and does not want to lick boots of Bollywood biggies. That is also a reason why award juries did not bother about him after Udta Punjab.

He was nominated for Good News and Soorma and plenty of functions. He won an award for Good News. Zee Cine Awards. Diljit has def hinted at people giving him attitude in the industry which he could not take. I wasn't actually expecting him to win Jogi. That would have been a long shot. What I was not expecting was that they would make their bias so apparent and not even nominate him after several movie makers themselves said Jogi was one of the best performances of the year. I was shocked after all the critical acclaim Jogi did not get a single nomination. And yes it is a hard pill to swallow. I doubled checked it seems like Dasvi was ahead of Jogi in views on Netflix by a slight edge. (It was promoted much better.). But if you compare the reviews it is a hard pill to swallow that film like that can be nominated and win. Meanwhile, Jogi is completely ignored. 

Ranbir in Bramashtra was not as acclaimed as much. Nor was Karthik. The only deserving nominee at IIFA is Ajay. And he does not attend either. 

But thnx for the explanation. You explained it quite well. 

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 1 years ago
Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Like I said earlier one of my favorite films of 2001 was Ajnabee. An it got nothing 

It was a copy and paste. It didnโ€™t deserve anything. All the actors were pretty average.