Alpha Male Heroes - Obsession or Oblivion? - Page 4

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by Bee222

Honestly, the idea of an alpha male is hot af. Someone who is confident, ambitious, determined. He's a grey character because he stops at nothing to get what he wants; he's used to bending the rules to his advantage.

I don't like the manhandling that alpha males are associated with. I prefer it when they use their power more intelligently. The shrewdness is what makes it so thrilling. Why do you like to see a tiger or an eagle hunt? Sure you feel bad for the prey, but it's the planning and the sheer power displayed by the hunting animal that gets you awestruck.

But yes, at one point it gets boring. There's too many alpha males in media rn; it feels suffocating 😪 There's a different kind of charm to caring, sensitive males, and right now they feel more refreshing than ever. When life gets tough and you wanna sit down and enjoy a show, these are the type of males who make you feel hope and comfort.

So yeah, this is a girl who will continue to love ASR but whose favourite will always be Neil Khanna from Naamkaran ❤️❤️

I have always loved alpha heroes, but only in TV shows, movies, and books. I know how to differentiate between real and reel. Such arrogant men in real life make me want to slap their brains out.😆

Anyway, I have some theories on why we are obsessed with such heroes

1. The obvious, opposites attract. Even though as I got older I learnt what a lie this was, because we want a soulmate who can share our common interests and understand us, it is quite difficult to create such a bond with someone who has the opposite personality. I only realized this after marriage.😆 But just like every teenager, I also used to believe that opposites attract. Good girls tend to run after bad boys because they are hard to get, and vice versa. It is human nature to run after what we can't have.

2. Relatable. I feel these characters are more relatable because real life is full of such flawed and toxic men😆 Good men are rare and hard to find. And I feel even married women who face problems in their marriage/relationship can relate to the FLs more and understand their pain.

3. Intensity. Alpha males always love more deeply, are more romantic, it's fun to watch them turn from egoistic jerks to romantic heroes and see the passion come out☺️

Originally posted by oye_nakhrewaali

I was rewatching naamkaran again, coz working on this thread made me want to revisit the "writing of Neil Khanna" and I realized that unlike of the rest of the writers, the CVs were self aware when they wrote him. Even in his establishing shot, while others exude power power and arrogance, Neil is doing the most mundane thing ever, making coffee, unlike others, he is not reclusive of rain (or people around him) he is ok with them. Even though DD is scared of him, it's like being scared of an elder brother, whole in other shows, people are running away from the ML.

I never really thought about it until today, and I wished they wrote such more characters and even stuck to writing Neil like this (because sometimes Neil was the stupidest person in the world, you can't deny that)

The writers really did a great one with that single establishing shot.

but Neil Khanna also manhandled Avni many times. Btw i also love Neil Khanna

Originally posted by Jazzkapur

but Neil Khanna also manhandled Avni many times. Btw i also love Neil Khanna

Yup, that's what I meant by him being stupid😅

Originally posted by Animagus_Shiri

"The alpha hero is a strong, dominant, aggressive male brought to the point of surrender by a woman.”

- Author Doreen Owens Malek 

Alpha males are dominant and influential. They hold the top position in the social status hierarchy with great power and money. Attracting women by their charismatic personalities, alpha males are the leaders with their confident and extroverted nature.

In earlier times, alpha males were believed to be aggressive, controlling and fearless. But with time, their characteristics evolved. The alpha males push away their insecurities, showcasing themselves courageous. In fact, they thrive when life throws curve ball on them. They like to face challenges and conquer their foreboding. 

They have a purpose in life and are always filled with a sense of determination and motivation. They are very clear about what they want in life. Setting a goal for themselves in both professional and personal front, they work hard to achieve it by all means. They make every decision and take every step by keeping the consequences in mind. Every move they make, they think about the end purpose of it.

Alpha men are always well aware of their flaws but that does not handicap them; instead, they work towards vanquishing their shortcomings.

The dominating bully who leads by daunting may often be accredited with the alpha male, but he doesn’t have the peculiarities to qualify. 

Media has always loved it's Alpha male characters. Men are showcased as the personification of strength and pride. And audiences have always loved such characters, but now are on the look out for the opposite, as they have started understanding how stifling such expectations are from men. 

We don't wish to shame anyone for liking such characters, as not all alpha males are a bad thing, especially not if they motivate the audience to work hard to earn success. 

Let’s have a look at some male characters who the audiences have loved and some other characters who break this norm of fitting into the "ideal" man.

should young boys aspire to be Alpha ? 

Todd manning 

Adam Newman 

Victor lord Jr

Sonny Corinthos 

Victor Newman 

Speaking of Alpha Heroes, Shaleen baby suits the roles to a T

Yeah 😒

I’m trying to reduce anger in my 6 yo son but it has no effect as he learns from what he sees around him ie his father/ grandfather shouting at home 🤦‍♀️

Originally posted by Swetha-Sai

Yeah 😒

I’m trying to reduce anger in my 6 yo son but it has no effect as he learns from what he sees around him ie his father/ grandfather shouting at home 🤦‍♀️

Does your husband have anger issues too?

Same issue in my in laws, I do try to explain to them not to shout or fight in front of the kid (both mother and father) as it has negative impact on the kid and they learn from that behaviour. But no one understand🤔 Anger and ego is so bad, and it destroys a person and his/her relationships.

These days all kids are picking up alpha traits. Even cartoons teach the same things😳 I can already see alpha traits in my 3 year old nephew ever since he became a Marvel fan😆

Originally posted by la_Reine

Speaking of Alpha Heroes, Shaleen baby suits the roles to a T

yeah I agree Shaleen Bhanot suits the roles😉

Edited by priya185 - 1 years ago