Alpha Male Heroes - Obsession or Oblivion? - Page 3

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by oye_nakhrewaali

For me, it's Sakshi Goenka, Durga Thakur and Roshni Kataria. They literally tears people apart who harm their FAMILY, on the basis on Neha's defination. 😅

Sakshi Goenka uff ☺️

Paanch started out so gritty but it kinda deteriorated I think? I remember losing interest somehow... and before I knew it had ended 🤦 Did it get a proper closure?

Originally posted by Bee222

Sakshi Goenka uff ☺️

Paanch started out so gritty but it kinda deteriorated I think? I remember losing interest somehow... and before I knew it had ended 🤦 Did it get a proper closure?

Yup. They went offtrack a bit and the romance drama that channel v had to milk out in that time was BORING (though i LOVE nikhil) but the ending was good. Hotstar doesn't have the last epi though, for some stupid reason

Originally posted by Kabhi18

Growth is realizing ASR was a toxic af character, constantly manhandling Khushi, cutting her off, being rude as hell to her. That isn't 'cute', 'hot' or 'romantic' like it was portrayed to be. IPKKND did not age well imo.

Kabir Singh? Shitty through and through.

Kabir Singh to was an ultimate level of toxicity. I agree with your analysis of ASR of IPKKND. 

Originally posted by Isamreen

I think the Alpha male character is the favorite of masses regardless of the disturbing behaviour, especially the young ones. 

Talking about Kabir Singh he was toxic, abusive and a menace to everyone around him still he was well liked by a section of society; guys who hailed him as an Alpha, girls who wanted a possessive boyfriend like him 

The character was simply unredeemable for me, he wasn't a good professional, nor a son or brother, not even a friend. Not a single aspect or relationship in his life was normal, he was selfish, toxic, self- centred and arrogant to the end of the film. Yet people justified his behaviour as some tragic hero...

Ironically Shahid has also played the complete opposite character of Kabir Singh but it didn't garner much of the popularity to him.

Aditya in Jab We Met was everything Kabir can never be. He was sensible, caring, never tried to impose his love on Geet, always supported her even though she was choosing the other guy. He was this thoughtful and sensible guy who is difficult to find and hailed in the pop culture. 

VIz a viz Jab we met, I think that movie was totally taken over by Geet. Having said that Aditya is my all time favorite character ever portrayed in Indian cinema. He was one of the most progressive men I have seen on screen. 

Originally posted by oye_nakhrewaali

Yup. They went offtrack a bit and the romance drama that channel v had to milk out in that time was BORING (though i LOVE nikhil) but the ending was good. Hotstar doesn't have the last epi though, for some stupid reason

Ah yes, that must've the time I drifted off. I remember thinking like "kya show tha kya bana rahe 😪" and thought to get back to it at some point, but by then the show had already ended

Tbh that's my story with most ITV shows 🤣 The ones that I plan to go back to, they end soon. And the ones that don't end, I don't feel like going back to them anymore 🤣

Me and ITV : An Unfinished Love Story 🤧

Originally posted by Bee222

Ah yes, that must've the time I drifted off. I remember thinking like "kya show tha kya bana rahe 😪" and thought to get back to it at some point, but by then the show had already ended

Tbh that's my story with most ITV shows 🤣 The ones that I plan to go back to, they end soon. And the ones that don't end, I don't feel like going back to them anymore 🤣

Me and ITV : An Unfinished Love Story 🤧

Same😂 I only watched P.O.W in its entirety, but woh bhi when there was romance between Sartaj-Keerti, i used to skip😅

This a fantastic thread 👍🏼completely showcasing the nuances, evolution and societal changes when it comes to men.

I never understood the hype around alpha males who are projected as perfect and given the status of demi God ignoring the fact they're also humans with feelings, insecurities. The line Mard ko dard nahi hota is utter nonsense in my opinion which also makes men difficult to come to terms with failings and sometimes accept defeat in certain areas.

As a society we've definitely come far in terms of how men are showcased but there's a long road ahead in broader aspect whether in reel or real life.

Loved the tags ❤️ and the write up is precise and to the point 👏

Originally posted by DelusionsOfNeha

Unpopular but the actual way Alphas behave, comes from a study of wolves, shows they're the leader of their packs, who make sure none of their pack member goes hungry and take care of them at all times, basically the DAD™ of the group. So the Alpha males have to be caring, nurturing and ready to fight for their pack/family and not hurt their loved ones 😆

Alpha/beta/omega behaviour is how wolves respond to captivity, when they are forced to share territory with unrelated wolves. Humans impose the need for social ranks upon captive wolves, domesticated dogs, and other humans. David Mech, the researcher whose early studies got extrapolated into the popular concept of alpha males and females, tried to correct it later (“Dominance fights with other wolves are rare, if they exist at all. During my 13 summers where I observed the pack, I saw none”), but accuracy doesn't sell as well as romance.

You can read about it at sciencenorway.no/ulv in an article marked "wolf-packs-dont-actually-have-alpha-males-and-alpha-females-the-idea-is-based-on-a-misunderstanding/1850514"

In nature, wolf packs consist of mom and dad, pups, and occasionally juveniles. For the first couple of weeks after pups are born, mom nurses and dad regurgitates food for everyone, but after that, mom and dad take turns, each protecting the pups while the other scavenges or hunts.

Misogynistic heroes on Indian TV who degrade and discard women have nothing in common with male wolves, who are monogamous and responsible.

Wolves have always been misunderstood. In the story of Kṛṣṇa producing wolves from his body to terrorize his community, they are said to be in packs of five, ten, thirty, twenty, or even a hundred (Harivaṃśa 52.32) and killing boys and cattle from every house ... not how real wolves behave!

Kṛṣṇa in Mahābhārata could be called an alpha male hero. He gets the honour of first arghya because all of the assembled kings have been defeated by him in battle (Sabhāparvan 35.8). Legends of Kṛṣṇa as a romantic hero have evolved from Kṛṣṇa humiliating kings by hitching them to his and the Gāndhāra princess's bridal chariot and whipping them (Droṇaparvan 10.10-11) ... to Kṛṣṇa being enough for his collection of 16,100 women ... to adolescent Kṛṣṇa keeping one girlfriend waiting while he gets busy with another. These fantasies had countless authors over the centuries, some male (e.g. Jayadeva) and some female (e.g. Muddupalānī), and their enduring appeal suggests that the audience accepted a man's dominance over rival men and indifference to a multitude of women as a mark of superhuman or even divine nature.

I'm not familiar with any of the alpha male examples from TV/movies in this thread. Instead, I'll share the example of Ranavijay Gayakwad from the Marathi daily drama Tujhyāta Jīva Raṅgalā. Ranavijay was the best wrestler in his village, and if he endorsed an agricultural product, everyone would buy it. When Ranavijay lost a bout with Bhalya, everyone was in denial, including Bhalya. They wanted to declare him the winner anyway. The idea of the alpha male Ranada becoming the loser who has to wash everyone's briefs was unbearable to everyone ... except Rana, who was a good sport. Around the time when this story played out, Tujhyāta Jīva Raṅgalā was the most watched program in Maharashtra.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago

Originally posted by DelusionsOfNeha

Unpopular but the actual way Alphas behave, comes from a study of wolves, shows they're the leader of their packs, who make sure none of their pack member goes hungry and take care of them at all times, basically the DAD™ of the group. So the Alpha males have to be caring, nurturing and ready to fight for their pack/family and not hurt their loved ones 😆

The writers of movies and stories got the opposite going on 🤣 

So the true Alpha males are in the third post 😆 

Taken together, the research suggests that the ideal man (for a date or romantic partner) is one who is assertive, confident, easygoing, and sensitive, without being aggressive, demanding, dominant, quiet, shy, or submissive. In other words, a prestigious man, not a dominant man. In fact, it appears that the prestigious man who is high in both assertiveness and kindness is considered the most attractive to women for both short-term affairs and long-term relationships. 

- Cognitive Scientist Scott Barry Kaufman

Good list CCs and beautiful thread 🤗

@ Bold: See you got it. 🤣 No but really. Alpha wolves are aggressive and strong, but only against those that threaten their pack. They are actually very caring and nurturing towards their pack and especially their female. Movies and stories do have it wrong. They call abusive, torture, kidnapping, etc. alpha males when really they are just aggressive males or even MCPs.

Well compiled list and beautiful thread by CC Team! ⭐️

The only alpha male hero I adored on ITV was Sujal Garewal as it was played to the T by Rajeev K. 😎