Architecture, heritage and set design

Posted: 1 years ago

As Mr. beard responded -- "I like the feelings but I have no idea what your last sentence meant" -- 😂

that was precisely how I felt when Katha was excitedly rambling in ep2. 😆

But that said, what I really enjoyed was not the idea from Katha but how Viaan takes those ideas and implements into a business model. That was exciting to watch because we don't often to see that aspect play out. 

As someone who loves watching architecture design shows and has an interest in history, it was fun to see an actual trend being played out in drama. We don't often see that in ITV.

Something that frustrates me is how modern architecture does not take lessons from the past and that makes no sense to me considering how rich our heritage is. 

When you look at historical buildings, the architecture is downright amazing and is still functional. Even today, they have fantastic movement of light and air. Even concepts like vaasthu isn't random, it takes into account where the sun rises (important when you consider how light moves around in the house and which rooms should get more or less heat) and how the wind flows (important when you consider how airy you want your house to be). 

How many of our modern buildings will still exist after 50 years? But many of those buildings built over 100-1000 years ago are still standing and they can take your breath away with its beauty. There is nothing like having a cup of coffee in an old restored bungalow that has been turned into a cafe. Just the vibe itself is so different and soothing! 

Going back to these old architure heritages and learning from them does have practical value -- if your house is well-lighted and well-aired, then your electricity bill is less and you are also physically healthy. (no need to put on AC all the time, you also get a good dose of vitamin D). 

There is a regional architecture show on our news channel and I really love how they highlight homes that are taking this kind of inspiration from traditional South Indian architecture and giving it more a modern touch. If you are interested in seeing some of these kind of architecture designs, you can check out youtube channels like 'buildofy'  https://www.youtube.com/@Buildofy

The idea of using mud and bricks and local techniqures more in houses already exists in Indian architecture as well as abroad and some of the results an be really stunning. Recently there have been some award winning architecture buildings which have incorporated these concepts. 

Friendship Hospital in rural Bangalesh won the RIBA international prize in 2021:

Friendship Hospital Satkhira / Kashef Chowdhury/URBANA | ArchDaily

Friendship Hospital SatkhiraBangladesh

Rajkumari Ratnavati Girls School in Jaisalmer (Rajasthan) won the AD100 award in 2020:

An AD100 excellence award-winning project, a school in Jaisalmer |  Architectural Digest India 

JaisalmerschoolarchitectureAD1001

To read more about architecture trends in India: architecturaldigest.in

-----------------

Now back to our drama, what I enjoyed about the conversation is how Viaan talks about costs and procurement when it comes to using local materials versus imported and how that affects the timelines of a project. He then skillfully suggests that rather than cut corners, what they do is build parts to showcase to investors so they get the gist of the project and this will give them time to build at the right pace. This does seem to happen based on some of the architecure design shows which showcases huge builds. 

So I loved that the drama is talking proper business and concepts that are already out there in real world. Viaan has to hustle his way there and is not magically getting his way just because he is the male lead. The client, Mr. Beard, has to think of the logistics and how it will play out. We are getting a glimpse into another world that we normally don't see. How refreshing to see aspects of a career skillfully parlayed into the story -- super to watch! 

My only pet peeve -- I did wonder why all the women were dressed in western business casual in this office. What happened to indowestern wear, kurtas and saris? Working women in India have a range of wardrobe possibilites! :) 

Edited by mango.falooda - 1 years ago

Once again very very well written article. 👏

Thanks for tagging me.

Rajkumari RatnaDevi Girls' School... Just look at the architecture. I hv seen many documentaries related to that School.

Originally posted by Nabni_blr31

Once again very very well written article. 👏

Thanks for tagging me.

Rajkumari RatnaDevi Girls' School... Just look at the architecture. I hv seen many documentaries related to that School.

that school is stunning. even I have seen documentaries on the build. apparently they used local materials and artisans to keep the cost down as much as possible because it is NGO funded. the building looks so fancy but it is not even a private school. instead meant for village girls and women build skills. 

I love looking at houses even when I am walking. so yea, I was excited to see this drama include something that is very much happening in the real architecture world. I have seen this being referred to as 'vernacular architecture' 

Originally posted by mango.falooda

that school is stunning. even I have seen documentaries on the build. apparently they used local materials and artisans to keep the cost down as much as possible because it is NGO funded. the building looks so fancy but it is not even a private school. instead meant for village girls and women build skills. 

I love looking at houses even when I am walking. so yea, I was excited to see this drama include something that is very much happening in the real architecture world. I have seen this being referred to as 'vernacular architecture' 

I think we both hv seen the same documentaries. 😃

U know while watching it, first question came to mind was how girls will go there everyday? It's situated in an isolated place.😆 Goan mei itna acha school.😆

2nd thing was ...woah kitna achaa ventilation system hei(open windows)..No need of fans or ACs😆

Sorry for my poor jokes.

Even i like looking at houses while walking. Especially the design of the houses. 

Originally posted by Nabni_blr31

I think we both hv seen the same documentaries. 😃

U know while watching it, first question came to mind was how girls will go there everyday? It's situated in an isolated place.😆 Goan mei itna acha school.😆

2nd thing was ...woah kitna achaa ventilation system hei(open windows)..No need of fans or ACs😆

Sorry for my poor jokes.

Even i like looking at houses while walking. Especially the design of the houses. 

hahaha... even I had similar thoughts as yours while watching the documentary. :) 

but yea, it is so neat to see buildings that have so much air that you don't even need fans. people forget such historical buildings exist. people need to just go on those heritage tours and check out some of our historical architecture during holidays. it is insane how awesomely built they are. 

I was reading recently that JNU in Delhi was apparently built using brick as part of the structure. so it is well lighted and also not as hot. so these interesting modern-ish (post-independence) buildings also do exist. 😆 

and I can't even explain how much looking at pretty buildings make me feel so happy. nothing as fun as checking out the houses in the neighbourhood. 😂

I started today mango ji, my pace will be slow and now i really don't want to spoil it for myself by reading your post sorry 😆

Absolutely love katha. Crisp and inspiring. After Manmeet (from sherdil shergil) this is promising representation of modern woman on ITV, I'm looking forward to how this unfolds.

Originally posted by Param-Sundari

I started today mango ji, my pace will be slow and now i really don't want to spoil it for myself by reading your post sorry 😆

Absolutely love katha. Crisp and inspiring. After Manmeet (from sherdil shergil) this is promising representation of modern woman on ITV, I'm looking forward to how this unfolds.

I only finished ep 2. will see ep 3 later. you can come back and read my essays once you catch up. 😂

Originally posted by mango.falooda

I only finished ep 2. will see ep 3 later. you can come back and read my essays once you catch up. 😂

Yeah I'll do that.

I'm mid way to first episode last 6-7 mins remaining.

I too found architecture related scenes interesting hope they show more such scenes in future n dont sideline office work 

Thanks for the tag 🤗

Your posts prod me to watch the show at least in bits and pieces in whatever limited time I have.