Asha Parekh bashes Indian women wearing western dresses for weddings

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Published on Nov 27, 2022 06:32 PM IST

Asha Parekh says she doesn't understand why Indian women wear western dresses for weddings, 'even if they are fat

Asha Parekh spoke about how films have evolved over time, and said we are not showcasing our own culture enough

Three classics of Asha Parekh are being screened during the IFFI 2022.Follow Us

ByHT Entertainment Desk

Asha Parekh has said that she finds it hurtful that Indian women prefer to wear western dresses and gowns for their weddings instead of the traditional dresses such as ghaghra-choli. Asha was speaking at a session at the ongoing 53rd International Film Festival of India in Goa. (Also read: Asha Parekh says heroes would get frightened of her)

Asha said, “Everything has changed (since the time when she worked in films). The films that are being made are …I do not know, we are so westernised. gowns pehen k wedding pe aa rahi hain ladkiyan. Arre bhaiya, humari ghaghra choli, saariyan aur salwar-kameez hai aap wo pehno na (Dear, we have ghaghar-choli, salwar-kameez and sarees, wear those).”

She added, “Why dont you wear those? They just watch the heroines on the screen (and wish to copy them). Screen pe dekh ke wo jo kapde pehen rahe us tarah ke kapde hum bhi pehnenge …mote ho, ya jo, hum wahi phnenge. Ye western ho raha hai mujhe dukh hota hai (They just want to wear the clothes they see heroines wearing onscreen. Even if they are fat or whatever, they do not care if the clothes will look good on them, whether they are fat or anything. I get hurt when I see this westernisation). We have such great culture, dance and music we could get it all back in pop culture.”

SIMILAR STORIES

American woman wears lehenga as an Indian bride. Watch how her family reacts

Sonam Kapoor poses for photos inside Anil Kapoor's regal Mumbai home; fans get distracted by her dress. See pics

Jaishankar shares video, pics of visit to 'legendary' all-women Manipur market

Manjima Mohan, Gautham Karthik hold hands in pre-wedding photoshoot, share romantic pics days before marriage

Tamannaah Bhatia ups her ethnic game in brown sequins saree

Chic for a cause: Delhi woman raises funds for the underprivileged

Shweta Bachchan reacts after mom Jaya says she makes everything about herself: 'It can’t be about you guys all the time'

Prakash Raj on Akshay Kumar criticising Richa Chadha's Galwan tweet: 'She is more relevant to our country than you'

Asha also addressed the rumour that she did not like Dilip Kumar and that was the reason why she never worked with him. “Four-five years ago, some press gentleman wrote that I did not work with him (Dilip Kumar) because I did not like Dilip Kumar. I adored him and always wanted to work with him. There was a film called Zabardast which I signed with him. We were supposed to work together but I was unlucky and the movie got shelved.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/asha-parekh-wonders-why-indian-women-wear-western-dresses-for-weddings-even-if-they-are-fat-101669550970160.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Aunty please take a chill pill. Let people wear what they want. Stop your sartorial policing. Idi0t.

atominis thumbnail

They give gyan about clothes in old age while in young age they wear anything they likeimages-27.jpeg

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Why does she think she has the right to decide what others should wear?

And fat shaming!! Plz, get a life and shut up. Worst way to try to be relevant. She is begging to be trolled.

Edited by Daebak - 1 years ago
mehak_kapoor thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

What about the chair she has in the name of butts?? Still she wore western dresses na? Matlab news mein rehne ke liye kuchh bhi statement denge?

SavitaBarbie thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

She wasn't that 'cultured' back in the day .   But  I sort of agree with her on obese women in tight dresses.  It's weird when you don't choose the right fit or if the whole thing is unflattering.  If your dress looks like a garbage bag with three dead cows in it then maybe you should choose another one. The same goes for skinny people in awfully loose awkward clothes.  

YourCat thumbnail

I guess the clothes these days are just bad quality.. And uncomfortable .. 

Dont leave out the men @cunkonbollywood, their pants are either to loose that crack is visible or too tight that it looks bulging out..

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Thikh hai, agli baar aap sabko salwar kameez bhejna. Culture ke saath saath tailors ki bhi madat hogi😌

atominis thumbnail

There are many women who have blobs of fat bulging from their bellies, backs and breasts yet they wear sarees and poorly draped pallus. No one calls them out but easily shame women in western dresses.

Lot of women do not carry off so called Indian dresses like sarees or lehengas or cholis well either.

Why comments only on western dress?

Also, why comments on only women's dresses? Why no words on men wearing western dresses like pants or jeans or shirts but not kurta or pyjama or dhoti? Or out of shape men showing their pot bellies, butt cracks, double chins, bald heads etc?

It is a shame how women always body shame or judge other women. Or make women some bearer of culture but keep silent on men.

And to think some people see Asha as some feminist icon just because she is single and childfree and led life on her own terms focusing on her successful career as actor, producer and social work for senior retired artistes etc.

It is one's own choice what they want to wear and what they find comfortable. 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

She's talking about weddings not other occasions or every day life

She's entitled to her opinion