Sher O Shayri

~ Write the Bite Winner Announcement Thread |Note Pg 7|~

DreamOfEndless thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Write the Bite Winner Announcement Thread!

What a marvelous journey it has been! Before we whip out freshly baked results for you to savor, let us congratulate all the participants for being so generous and supportive with the concept of writing a story within 8-12 words.

Your generous enthusiasm is greatly appreciated, as well as the flavors of the world you offered through your 272 microtales. We believe that each of you is a winner in your own right for your exceptional contribution to the aroma of the Write the Bite Contest.

We are sure the voters must have had a hard time choosing their favorite stories out of so many wonderful ones, and we appreciate the enormous task they undertook by reading them and voting for them.

Many thanks to everyone who sent their stories and to all the invited and uninvited members who took out some precious moments to read and to vote for the stories. Write the Bite Contest would not be the same without you.

Now, without further ado, let's proceed with the results. 

ImageImageImageImageImage

Special Siggies for Writing One or Two of the Thirteen Most Popular 10-Word Stories in English Category are awarded to

ImageNoeticLife Image

for the Stories:

An old woman. Aroma of fresh cookies. No one to eat? Loneliness.

The baby giggles. She opens her mouth. The 'airplane' flies in.

ImagenautankitadkaImage

for the Stories:

Dairy Milk on bed. "Always proud of you, cadet" Dad's note said.

"Can you cook?" "Only Maggi." "Same." They had an understanding.

Imagela_ReineImage

for the Stories:

She ate. He watched her. It was love at first bite.

He eats to live. She lives to eat. Class difference.

ImageBee222Image

for the Stories:

Five people. Four portions. The mother smiles; she's already eaten.

Growing stomach. Midnight cravings. Breastfeeding. A mother is born.

ImageSarcy Image

for the Stories:

"To love!" They raised a toast. He drank wine. She tasted blood.

Delicious food, music, laughter and a serial killer. The carnival was historic.

ImageDazzlingLightImage

for the Story:

Barfi, said the sonographer. She never saw the light of day.

ImageSutapasimaImage

for the Story:

Drinking nectar from flowers, flying freely on colorful wings. Short, happy life.

Imagepriya85Image

for the Story:

'Missed Maa's food!' NRI reunited with Maa after COVID-19. Food with love.

Most Prolific Writer

For submitting most number of stories is awarded to

ImageWildestDreamsImage

For submitting as many as twenty-seven unique microtales.

Special Siggies for Writing One or Two of the Six Most Popular 10-Word Stories in Hindi Category are awarded to

ImageDazzlingLight Image

for the Story:

Akelapan. Chai aur pakode. Tumara saath. Viraam. Aur phir andhera. 

ImagenautankitadkaImage

for the Story:

Hazratganj aloo-tokri chaat thi itni lajawab, Dil kho baithe thele pe janaab.

ImageSutapasimaImage

for the Stories:

Baarish Ki boondein, Chai pakode. Unki badti aakhiri nishani. Aankhon mein paani.

Mithayi mein chupake khilaya zeher, badi wafa se nibhayenge, tumhari yeh bewafaayi.

ImageInterstellarImage

for the Stories:

"Khana khaya?" Jaise tum bolti thi, koi aur abhi puchta tak nahi.

Ghar lautne ke khushi; Maa, tere hath ka khana khaane mein hain.

Edited by tournesol - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Write the Bite Virtuoso (English)

For receiving most number of votes from the invited members among all English stories is awarded to

ImageSarcyImage

for the Story:

Write the Bite Virtuoso (Hindi)

For receiving most number of votes from the invited members among all Hindi stories is awarded to

ImageInterstellarImage

for the Story:

Write the Bite Hotshot (English)

For writing the most popular story in English is awarded to

ImageSarcyImage

for the Story:

Write the Bite Hotshot (Hindi)

For writing the most popular story in Hindi is awarded to

ImageInterstellarImage

for the Story:

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Many congratulations to all the winners and special achievers for winning hearts with your stories! 🎉

If you are yet to read the microtales, please have a look at all the stories at the Write the Bite Voting thread: Finally, it’s time for us to say goodbye. 

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5303488

The participants can feel free to publish their microtale collection in the FF forum, or FF section, or Writer's Corner forum if they wish to do so. It is suggested to publish all of them together in one chapter if you plan to publish in the FF section.

Thank you for being there with us, and hopefully all of you had a wonderful time. 🤗

Credits

Write-up: tournesol

Winner’s siggies: Sevenstreaks

Special siggies and the Most Prolific Writer siggy, Color coding: oye_nakhrewaali

HereAsMyself thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Congratulations to all the winners of the contest! 

I would like to thank all the participants of the contest and the organizers as well, not only because I enjoyed participating in the contest, but also because I got to learn a lot from reading all the wonderful entries that were submitted. I have a hard time meeting word limits while properly expressing what I want to say, so reading all these stories that said so much in not so many words was a treat.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Congratulations to all the winners and special achievers 🤗

Thanks to all the participants for making this contest so wonderful by contributing your stories. Loved reading them all 😳

Special thanks to Shibani and Sandhya, there would be no 'Write the Bite' without you guys ❤️

Thanks to everyone who read, voted and supported. It means a lot 🤗

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Congratulations you guys! This contest wouldn't have been possible by you. We hope you had a good time like we did organizing this one.🙈

Thank you so much Miss T, aapke bina yeh contest nahi ho paata🥰

Thank you to the people who voted😍

Sarcy thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 8

Congratulations to all the winners and the participants! 🥳

Shibani and Tournesol, this was super fun, guys! Thanks for putting this together and to all the readers who read and voted. 🤗

I've never written a micro tale in my life because I'm not a person of few words. 🤣But I truly enjoyed participating in this one and was surprised to see my name amongst the winners. 

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

Congratulations to all of the winners!

Thanks to the organizers and all participants for making this such a popular and enjoyable contest!

I would like to publish each of my stories separately in the Fan Fiction section, with different tags and explanatory notes, if that is all right with the FFEditors.

Could the organizers please post the full list of stories with authors' names included? That would allow us to reach the authors with feedback.

Now that we are allowed to promote stories, I would like to convey my appreciation to the authors of every story that got my vote. Who are you inspired artists? As soon as I know who ten of you are, I will tag all of you at once.

English:

8    “Here!” She halved her roti. “But it’s your share!” “Hunger over fairness.”

This story could have so many contexts: feast or famine, friends with different body types, lovers or siblings, or campers in the wilderness ...

20    “Your baby craves mangoes. And you?” She answered with a longing kiss.

This was a beautiful balance of parental and romantic love (vātsalya and śṛṅgāra). The person asking the question could be the husband or lesbian partner of the expectant mother, or perhaps someone whose love was not returned until this moment.

35    A steaming cup of coffee. A couple. Indirect kisses whisper passion.

Secret signals are steamy indeed! Where is this couple? In a public place, or in front of their children? Is their relationship a secret, perhaps even forbidden, so that they pretend to be just friends?

82    Drinking nectar from flowers, flying freely on colorful wings. Short, happy life. (Sutapasima)

Like a butterfly, there are loved ones who live a short but spectacular life. I took "drinking nectar" as a metaphor for sexual expression and "colorful wings" as a metaphor for flamboyant self-expression, but even if your story is literally about a butterfly, you managed to create the mood beautifully.

100    Growing stomach. Midnight cravings. Breastfeeding. A mother is born. (Bee222)

This story is structurally marvellous. In two words, you communicated that as the mother nourishes her fetus, its growth appears to be hers. In two words, you conveyed that the fetus dictates the mother's eating habits. In one word, you took us past parturition and presented the contrast: now the mother herself is food. And the concluding metaphor of birth blurs the distinction between mother and baby again. Bravo!

104    He eats to live. She lives to eat. Class difference. (la_Reine)

I liked the contrast created by the flipped verb positions in this one.

125    Hungry eyes reflect mine. My country's foe. Roti is torn. War pauses. (TianaWrites)

From the first two words, this story made me feel that I was there, watching an experience that only human folly can create and only human magnanimity can transcend.

129    I don’t have to scavenge for food on school days, he said.

Poverty and hope, individual and society, childhood and growing up too fast ... this story brought out so much conflict in one sentence!

152    My first roti. India's map. I kept practising daily. Made it round! (priya185)

Individual, country, globe. Practiced skills expand our horizons and widen our network of acquaintance. Or, taken literally, it's just a relatable success story.

235    Undeniably bitter and black. Chocolate’s real taste. The rest is sweetened.

I interpreted chocolate as a metaphor for success. It's lonely at the top. It could also be a metaphor for unappreciated self-sacrificing love.

Hindi:

4    Akelapan. Chai aur pakode. Tumara saath. Viraam. Aur phir andhera. (DazzlingLight)

I got a sense of contentment from this story. Solitude, comfort food, the right company, contemplative silence, and timely death are all priceless.

5    Aloo Bhujiya pe karte hue khusti, Ho gayi bhai-behen mein dosti. (nautankitadka)

I found this story relatable and endearing. Rivalry and friendship are two sides of the same coin.

In case it's up to us authors to reveal our identities, I'll start. Were my regular readers able to guess which stories I wrote? Yes, the American-as-apple-pie-and-Johnny-Appleseed story, the Nāgānanda fan fiction comparing ecological disruption to economic inflation, the sexually charged Periyapurāṇam fan fiction, the Islamic myth repurposed to decry cultural eutrophication, the Kālo'smi loka-kṣayakṛt pravṛddho reinterpretation of the Yaśodā-opens-Kṛṣṇa's mouth myth ... they're all mine.

1. “Apple pies!" "Cider!" "Invasive? Native!" "Johnny Chapman's. Our land now."

5. "Cobras go uneaten? Gold for all, Jīmūtavāhana, but Garuḍa starves?"

7. "Don't halve the sugar! Mother's recipe - exception to Mother's rule."

13. "My mortal appetite must not defile another divine mango, Punītavatī!"

15. "Our tiramisù contains alcohol." "Religious discrimination!" "Mascarpone is cheese." “Spoilsport!"

16. "Suleiman ibn Daúd! Feeding cyanobacteria today? We bloom; fish asphyxiate."

21. "Yummy sauce! Puttanesca means what?" "Tell you at home, Grandma!"

124. Hunger in Jayadratha's eyes. "Have breakfast - fifty animals." Vṛkodara's leftovers.

147. Missing: one modaka. Dāmodara! My effort? Consumed ahead of Time!

193. Shiva's spicy zhuṇakā! Siddhi's mouthful dispelled bitterness. Chewing chilies ... sweet?

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
Sudharies thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail + 8

Congratulations to all the winner and Participants 🎊 👏 

Thanks FF team for organizing an interesting contest. It was very tough one at that😆

Great job 👍🏼

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Originally posted by: tournesol

ImageInterstellarImage

for the Stories:

Ghar lautne ke khushi; Maa, tere hath ka khana khaane mein hain.

I hadn't expected that both my microtales in Hindi category ended in top 2. Thanks to everyone who voted and thanks to Tia for tagging me initially to participate in this beautiful contest. Big thanks to the organizers (Tia & Shibani) for taking time to arrange such a contest for us & Sandhya for making such beautiful siggies for us participants.