Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Leprechaun thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

nr 5.png

5. Skandamata 

Skandamata Devi (Navratri 5th Day Goddess): Story, Significance, Beej  Mantra & Colour

Skandamata is worshiped on the fifth day of Navaratri. When Goddess Parvati became the mother of the God of War, Lord Kartikeya, also known as Skanda, she became Skandamata. Her name means, 'Skanda' which denotes the God of War, and 'Mata' means mother. It is believed that she governs over the planet, Mercury.

Her image is depicted with four arms and three-eyed. She rides a ferocious lion. Since her image is shown sitting on a Lotus flower she is also known as Goddess Padmasana. One of her hands shows Abhayamudra, a gesture of fearlessness. One of her other hands holds her son, Skanda in an infant form in her lap. The other two are shown holding lotus flowers. 

Skandamata is known as the Goddess of Endurance. Her worshippers are mesmerized by her peace. They can feel the removal of worldly impurities and immerse themselves in her bestowed divine happiness. She is also known as the true Goddess of Purity, through worshipping her, her worshippers can attain tranquility in their souls and mind. It is also believed that through her worshippers are able to leave behind their sorrows and attain contentment in life.

Remember, you have time till Saturday 08:00 PM IST to share some unknown facts! Send them to the CrazyCreatives account now! 

Edited by Leprechaun - 1 years ago
Quantum-Dot thumbnail

images-11.jpeg

PriyaArshiSarun thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 5 0 Thumbnail + 7

Happy Navratri everyone 🙏🙏

ExoticDisaster thumbnail

nr 6.png

Oṃ Devī Kātyāyanyai Namaḥ

The sixth day of Navratri (Shashti) is dedicated to Maa Katyayani. Maa Katyayani rides a lion and has four hands. She carries lotus flower and sword in her left hands while keeping her right hands in Abhaya and Varada Mudras. According to the Vamana Purana, she was created from the combined energies of the Gods Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva when their anger at the demon Mahishasura manifested itself in the form of energy rays. The rays crystallized in the hermitage of Katyayana Rishi, who gave it proper form. This is the reason she is also called Katyayani or daughter of Katyayana. Katyayani Devi is depicted as having four or eight or ten or eighteen arms. She carries different arms presented by Devas and the Trimurtis. Some scriptures mention that she has the combined power of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Her body color is said to be that of Atasi flower (sky blue or violet blue). Her Vahana or vehicle is believed to be Sardula – a mythical animal regarded as the mother of tigers. In some texts, she is shown along with a lion. Some scriptures indicate that she is youthful and is bedecked with ornaments. She wears a crown with a crescent moon stuck to it.

The Bhagavata Purana describes the legend of Katyayani Vrata, where young marriageable daughters (gopis) of the cowherd men of Gokula in Braja, worshipped Goddess Katyayani and took a vrata, or vow, during the entire month of Margashirsha, the first month of the winter season, to get Lord Krishna as their husband. An image of Sri Katyayani Devi used to be made using the clay and mud from the Yamuna River and was worshipped for a month. At the end of the month, the idol is immersed in Yamuna. Such a Vrata is performed in Tamil culture known as Margali Nombu in Margazhi month.

By worshiping Goddess Katyayani, devotees easily attain the four fruits of Artha, Dharma, Kama and Moksha. She disease, grief, anguish and fear are destroyed. All the sins of births are also destroyed.

Remember, you have time till Sunday 8:30 PM IST to share some unknown facts! Send them to the CrazyCreatives account now! 

WU _ -RD-

Edited by Animagus_Shiri - 1 years ago
Minionite thumbnail
Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Shashti (षष्टि, ṣaṣṭi) means "sixty" - a cardinal number.

Shashthi (षष्ठी, ṣaṣṭhī) means "sixth" - an ordinal number, as in the sixth day of Āśvina's bright fortnight.

I am "nitpicking" because I care about using the right vowel or consonant, not because I expect anyone to listen. Karmaṇy ev'ādhikāro me, mā phaleṣu kadācana.

Oh so you're back? Maybe you need to go and pick on Hindu calendars that translate Sanskrit to English and Hindustani newspapers as well. Here's an example. Go after them first and get them along with all the other Hindu sites that use Shashti to change over first. Then we'll make the change.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/photos/lifestyle/durga-puja-2022-shashti-to-dashami-significance-of-the-five-auspicious-days-101663915173488-1.html

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.43.04 PM.png

Oh and here's something else.

https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B7%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A0%E0%A5%80

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.46.47 PM.png

But when you use Google Translate:

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.47.39 PM.png

Now I am not able to read Hindi but if Google Translate is also using the spelling as Shashti and Shashthi interchangeably I am going to say that either translation seems right to me.

Happy Navratri and Durga Puja to you. And sorry for not being Sanskrit vidvans like you, but we do the best we can with the information and spellings we find online on legit websites.

Edited by MinionBoss - 1 years ago
BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

I came across your topic, so I posted here, not everywhere that the mistake may occur.

There's no need to be sorry, and please continue to do the best you can, integrating new information as it comes to you.

Minionite thumbnail

I came across your topic, so I posted here, not everywhere that the mistake may occur.

There's no need to be sorry, and please continue to do the best you can, integrating new information as it comes to you.

Absolutely. As we do our research before posting, we will integrate the information we see from that research in our posts. Thank you.

Viswasruti thumbnail

Shashti (षष्टि, ṣaṣṭi) means "sixty" - a cardinal number.

Shashthi (षष्ठी, ṣaṣṭhī) means "sixth" - an ordinal number, as in the sixth day of Āśvina's bright fortnight.

I am "nitpicking" because I care about using the right vowel or consonant, not because I expect anyone to listen. Karmaṇy ev'ādhikāro me, mā phaleṣu kadācana.

@ BrhannadaArmour, Happy Durgashtami/ Durga Ashtami. 

“Karmanye vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,  

Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhur Ma Te Sango Stv Akarmani” 

Some people write Karmanye vadhikaraste as one word like- Karmanyevadhikaraste, both are accepted. The latter is used because it is appeared like that in the original Sanskrit sloka. But for an easy understanding of the reader, I am emphasizing with two words. 😊

This is the starting line and most popular in Bhagavad Gita’s chapter-2 verse-47. Bhagavad Gita is not just a religious book written in Sanskrit, it provides solutions and guidance to human’s life problems and equips you in improving horizon of knowledge and build a courage to live in any part of the world with proper understanding and peace, if you read and understand one sloka of the Bhagavad Gita per day, then you will be away from all the sadness and get enlightened. 

The above sloka or verse means---

You have every right to work but not expecting the fruits out of it. Let the focus be not on the fruits and never be inactive.

The line actually is a combination of Karmaya+eva+adhikara+the. 

As moderators, it is our responsibility to facilitate members to engage in fruitful dialogues and debates in which they may express and share their ideas on a variety of subjects and areas of knowledge. In order to engage the groups with the greatest comfort, the moderators are doing everything they can to make this a caring and sharing site.  

Please make an effort to recognise the Moderators' sterling efforts.😊

Thank you, Shreya [ MinionBoss, CC and Channel Moderator ] Animagus_Shiri, Leprechaun for this festive thread for the celebration. 🤗❤️🤗

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Originally posted by: Viswasruti

“Karmanye vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,  

Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhur Ma Te Sango Stv Akarmani” 

Some people write Karmanye vadhikaraste as one word like- Karmanyevadhikaraste, both are accepted. The latter is used because it is appeared like that in the original Sanskrit sloka. But for an easy understanding of the reader, I am emphasizing with two words. 😊

The line actually is a combination of Karmaya+eva+adhikara+the.

We are on a tangent to the topic now, but since I have been exhorted to counteract misspellings all over the internet singlehandedly, I will offer you this much.

There is no such word as karmaṇye or karmaya. The first word of the verse is कर्मणि = karmaṇi = in action, the locative declension of कर्मन् = karman = action, antonym of अकर्मणि = akarmaṇi = in inaction, the last word of the same verse. The sentence being कर्मणि + एव + अधिकारः + ते = karmaṇi + eva + adhikāraḥ + te, it should never be written कर्मण्ये वाधिकारस्ते = karmaṇye vādhikāraste because that splits the word eva.

By the way, when I wrote Karmaṇy ev'ādhikāro me, mā phaleṣu kadācana, it's an intentional adaptation of the quotation, not ignorance or a typo. I changed the second person singular genitive pronoun te to the first person singular genitive pronoun me, and changed the preceding saṃdhi accordingly, because I was accepting the advice for myself.

I think it's nice that you are studying Bhagavad-gītā, and wish you success.

PriyaArshiSarun thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 5 0 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: Animagus_Shiri

nr 6.png

Oṃ Devī Kātyāyanyai Namaḥ

The sixth day of Navratri (Shashti) is dedicated to Maa Katyayani. Maa Katyayani rides a lion and has four hands. She carries lotus flower and sword in her left hands while keeping her right hands in Abhaya and Varada Mudras. According to the Vamana Purana, she was created from the combined energies of the Gods Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva when their anger at the demon Mahishasura manifested itself in the form of energy rays. The rays crystallized in the hermitage of Katyayana Rishi, who gave it proper form. This is the reason she is also called Katyayani or daughter of Katyayana. Katyayani Devi is depicted as having four or eight or ten or eighteen arms. She carries different arms presented by Devas and the Trimurtis. Some scriptures mention that she has the combined power of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Her body color is said to be that of Atasi flower (sky blue or violet blue). Her Vahana or vehicle is believed to be Sardula – a mythical animal regarded as the mother of tigers. In some texts, she is shown along with a lion. Some scriptures indicate that she is youthful and is bedecked with ornaments. She wears a crown with a crescent moon stuck to it.

The Bhagavata Purana describes the legend of Katyayani Vrata, where young marriageable daughters (gopis) of the cowherd men of Gokula in Braja, worshipped Goddess Katyayani and took a vrata, or vow, during the entire month of Margashirsha, the first month of the winter season, to get Lord Krishna as their husband. An image of Sri Katyayani Devi used to be made using the clay and mud from the Yamuna River and was worshipped for a month. At the end of the month, the idol is immersed in Yamuna. Such a Vrata is performed in Tamil culture known as Margali Nombu in Margazhi month.

By worshiping Goddess Katyayani, devotees easily attain the four fruits of Artha, Dharma, Kama and Moksha. She disease, grief, anguish and fear are destroyed. All the sins of births are also destroyed.

Remember, you have time till Friday 09:00 PM IST to share some unknown facts! Send them to the CrazyCreatives account now! 

WU _ -RD-

Please change the day, Friday to Sunday.