Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NoraSM thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by: semantic.error

Standard practice in Hollywood of course is to include international collections and other revenues. But usually in India, films are declared a success/failure based on the domestic collections. By that logic, Brahmastra won't really be successful, similar to how Raees wasn't successful.

The industry knows this, but they don't want to send a doom and gloom signal for a film that is doing so well. So they are using the Hollywood method of overall gross and ancillary revenues. Whether that is just general brotherhood or a PR campaign, that's a different question. Disney would benefit largely from making this seem successful because that boosts Hotstar viewership numbers. And that drives the stock prices right now.

Regardless the most important thing is perception, these verdicts don't really matter.If the film makes a lot of money, people will think of it as a blockbuster. If it crashes on Monday, people will think of it as a flop. 

This makes sense, thanks 

PranPriye thumbnail

Interesting. Akshay & Farah didn't charge any renumeration. Wiki shows budget of 45 crores with BO of est. 60 crores. So, if both had indeed taken renumeration, the budget wouldn't be covered from BO. Wonder if its like if the producer expects a film to be a clean hit, actors are paid renumeration so that the producers can maximize profits; otherwise they are asked to share profits / losses.

NoraSM thumbnail
Originally posted by: Clochette

That's the reason why I don't give a damn to all those numbers tossed around (or, in the long run to the verdicts of boxoffice India).

I'll watch Brahmastra tomorrow to get my own opinion.

I've stopped since long to trust any numbers ("success" or "failure"). It's very easy to manipulate them if the concerned persons/companies involved have the money to get the numbers they want or even are those who give the numbers.

I read the member's reviews and I'll see if my impression will correspond to their impressions. Twitter and Media reviews/numbers are of no importance for me at the moment.

I think that Karan as well as Disney are capable of anything to make this movie a success...for them, it's not a question of art but of money.

So, why bother about boxoffice numbers? 😉

Box office figures don't matter to me but it did affect Shah when his last few ventures failed at the box office. Now, If we are taking every source of revenue in consideration, I'd like people to rewrite verdicts for his films as well because he had to take a long break after Zero. 

Even Zero isn't a disaster, if we calculate from this formula and include all revenue sources to judge success of a film. 

Edited by NoraSM - 1 years ago
Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: dumpehathauda

It's always been perception for any KJo, Alia, and Ranbir film. All their movies are perceptually hit, whether they break even or not.

Fun fact: KJo as a director hasn't given a clean hit since K3G.  Anees Buzzme is a far more successful director than KJo ðŸ˜².

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sumit Samosa Kadel is talking about Net collection & not gross. 250 nett collection will give approx 320 cr Gross. 

He is stating additional addup to grand value of gross, OVERSEAS COLLECTION. Which is Expected to be 220 Cr.

320 + 220 = 540 Cr WORLDWIDE COLLECTION

Distributor Share = 270 Cr Approx 

That's why it will be HIT.

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Guddu.Pandit

Sumit Samosa Kadel is talking about Net collection & not gross. 250 nett collection will give approx 320 cr Gross. 

He is stating additional addup to grand value of gross, OVERSEAS COLLECTION. Which is Expected to be 220 Cr.

The expert has spoken...chalo ab shaant ho jao sab log...😎

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

This is the Alia Bhatt’s math Astra in effect, people have no understanding of box office anymore. Movies have to earn MORE than their budget to be hits. But only in Brahmastra’s case (because of the math Astra) it can earn less and still be a hit 

Movies have to earn more than they spent to be profitable. A hit is determined by ticket sales and box office revenue that actually have no bearing on profitability. Usually, profitability and hit status are correlated, but it is not necessary. 

An indie film may be deemed a flop because it didn't sell much at the box office. But it may still be profitable because it more than recouped its shoestring budget. And while quite rare, a film that is a hit at the box office may still not register a profit. Both Avatar and Titanic were box office hits well before they actually recovered their numbers. They were after all expensive films for their time and needed to make way more money than your run of the mill hit to make all the money. I think Brahmastra may fall in this category - ten years of expenditure is quite difficult to recover even if ticket sales are good. 

And neither profitability nor hit status have any bearing on quality. There are several box office duds that become celebrated films and cult classics. There are several smash hits that audiences later consider trash. After all, quality is subjective and changes with the times too. 

NoraSM thumbnail

Raees collected more than its budget then why is it a Semi hit? 

hyancchoatishoo thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Cpt.DudleySmith

Fun fact: KJo as a director hasn't given a clean hit since K3G.  Anees Buzzme is a far more successful director than KJo ðŸ˜².

KWK 2016 was all about his guests congratulating him on his "blockbuster" ADHM. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

How will the domestic distributor get their share from the overseas income? Wouldn't that go to the overseas distribution parters?