Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sutapasima thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by: EuphoricDamsel

Y'all can we invite more people to this thread? I have friends on IG who read too and I'm connected with them over IG. 😳

Please feel free to invite all your friends and family , IF is open to everybody 🤗

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: Sutapasima

Please feel free to invite all your friends and family , IF is open to everybody 🤗

Thanks Hon! ❤️

Ramya_98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Ooh I see an interesting topic going on here. Favorite AC novel! My vote goes to Murder on the orient express.

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail

Just posting some Twisted Hate quotes to convince everyone to read the Book! 

Because I'm clingy lmao...Plusss one person from the tagged has already read it with me so...it would be a revisit. 

“You’re mine,” I said against her mouth. “Let another man touch you, Jules, and you’ll find out just how easily I can take a man’s life as I can save one.”

― Ana Huang, Twisted Hate

“You know, you’re the first guy I’ve been with in my room.”

“First and last, Red.”

“Possessive much?”

“Damn right I am. I don’t like sharing.”

“Sharing is a virtue, Josh.”

“I don’t give a flying f-ck. I don’t share. Not when it comes to you.”

“Is this a bookstore scavenger hunt?” I bounced on my feet, unable to contain my delight.

“Scavenger hunt and puzzle.” Josh’s cheek dimpled. “Have to make sure your brainpower meets my standards, Red. I don’t date dummies.”

“Understandable. Someone has to be the brains in the relationship.”

“Hey, Red.” Josh looked me over, his eyes heating. “Nice to see you looking presentable for once.”

“Nice to see you looking human for once.” I gave him an equally deliberate once-over. “How much did you pay for the skin suit to cover up your devil's horns and reptile skin?”

“It was free. I'm just that charming,” he drawled.

“I think the seller was just scared you'll suffocate him with your giant ego if you didn't leave soon.”

His laugh rolled through me like molten caramel, rich and sweet. “I f--king missed you.”

LizzieBennet thumbnail

My first Christie ever was Murder in the mews - a book of short stories. And I was forever hooked. What I love about her is how she sets up the crime, the interplay between the characters and the insights we get even with just the interrogation of suspects and her simplistic writing style. I have read so many mystery authors but haven't come close to finding anyone that can match her style - Sophie Hannah included (her Poirot is not Christie's Poirot and I stand by it!)

My favorite Agatha Christie books (not in any order). I'm categorizing them as HP, Marple, others and standalones because they each deserve their own favorites' list.

Hercule Poirot:

Like most AC fans I started off with HP books & was hooked. Who wouldn't be? The man with his twirly mustache and little grey cells and a penchant for tisane was all kinds of brilliant. (but he's also a pompous ass! 😆)

I love all of her most popular ones of course - the classics

Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Mysterious Affair at Styles, Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile. Usually I tend to like the ones featuring Hastings. Because lbr, Poirot without Hastings is just dull. Imagine Sherlock without Watson. Like cake without icing, right?. Add Japp to the mix and it's the Holy Trinity of homicidal hedonism! 😆

Besides, I love Hastings' narration and how he eventually gets upset and annoyed with Poirot's oft repeated refrain 'Use your little grey cells, mon ami' and his pomposity (because as a reader I do too! 😆). Also he adds a much needed thread of humaneness to Poirot who can be kinda cold (though much less than Sherlock)

Some other HP books that I think deserve mention are:

1. Curtain: Poirot's last case: This one was bittersweet for me and I think has prevailed because of the obvious reasons, besides it also being a nod to the Hastings- Poirot friendship that not just endured but transcended generations. Also, does not feature much of Poirot, the build up to the mystery (murder) forms a greater part of the book and the dynamic/interplay between characters. 

2. Lord Edgware dies: Without giving away spoilers, this was simply too delicious. *Chef's kiss*

3. The Hollow: Again, one of the early Poirot books I read. Does not have Hastings and P arrives quite late in the novel. I read the play too and it was really good.

4. Murder on the links: I have a soft spot for this one because it was my first Poirot novel. Also because Hastings meets the love of his life in this one! 

5. Death in the clouds: It's been a long long time since I read this one and I deffo need to re-read but I remember the setting and the method was so delicious. Ahh! And also the romance. AC is the Queen of red herrings and misdirection. So many times I've thought I absolutely know who did it and I was proved wrong. And she's not afraid to make the most likable character the bad guy!

6. Cat among the pigeons: A very different book. Begins like a spy thriller and there's a lot of political intrigue involved. Christie did write a lot of these, though I prefer the People are in a locked house and someone gets murdered and everyone is a suspect trope, this one I must admit was exciting.

7. Appointment with death: this one stands out because of the locale (Petra) and the fact that Poirot has only 24 hours to solve the case. 

8. Evil under the sun: Another one with Poirot on a holiday where he has to solve a crime- he never gets relaxing holidays, does he? 😆 But then again, his idea of relaxation would probably be exercising his 'little grey cells'! 😆

9. Five little pigs: One of the earliest Christies I read and I remember not liking it much on first read because so much of it is about reconstructing the crime since it happened about 20? years ago. Then I re-read a few years later (because I own it) and was struck by its brilliance.  I love Christie's obsession with nursery rhymes and how many of her books are based on twisting these simple childhood ditties into something grotesque and macabre. Oooh she's a dark one, isn't she? 😆

10. Dead Man's Folly.: Features another Poirot sidekick, Ariadne Oliver the mystery writer. She's fun and supposedly was based off of Christie herself who harboured a silent disdain for Poirot as Ariadne does for her book detective, Sven Hjerson. And this one is about a village fete that has a murder hunt and someone actually gets murdered. Delicious stuff!

Honorable mentions: Mrs. McGinty's dead, Black coffee, Hickory Dickory Dock (see what I mean about AC and nursery rhymes? One character is actually called Mrs. Hubbard! 😆), Three Act Tragedy (Typical whodunit, featuring Mr. Satterthwaite - who later comes in in the Harley Quin books), Peril at end house. 

Miss Marple

For the longest time, I resisted reading Miss Marple because Poirot's personality was just so overwhelming. If I didn't get to read a dynamic, assertive, in-your-face brilliant detective, I didn't want Christie! Who cared about a doddering old lady who knits and just observes people? My first Marple was 'A Body in the library' and I did not enjoy it at all. But then (like with so many Christie books) I read it again a few years later (Because again I own it) and had a new found appreciation for not just the book but also for dear little diabolical Miss Marple! And she's a surprise package because who would ever suspect an unassuming old lady who lives in the tiny little village of St. Mary Mead as being some sort of nemesis or avenging angel? Right? 😆

I love her books, at times even more than Poirot because like I mentioned, Poirot can be a pompous, condescending ass! And just so he can produce this voila moment during the denouement, a lot is kept hidden from the readers (imo). Not so in case of Miss Marple. Sometimes she's so much in the background I even forget she solves the crime! She just comes in at key moments and drops words of wisdom (and warning) to the main characters who then do all the legwork. Because a fragile old woman certainly can't! 😛

1. Murder at the Vicarage: So so good. Typical Christie set up & we get to meet all the gossipy, meddling women in the sleepy and wondrous St. Mary Mead village- the hot bed for crime in England!

2. The moving finger: Ahh such a good book! The romance is just sighhhh!! Jerry Burton is one of my favorite Christie leading men! 

3. A murder is announced: Such a good book! Sometimes I wonder if Christie was ahead of her time and secretly wove in LGBTQ+ storylines covertly? Because homosexuality was illegal at that time in England but so many of her books lean towards it (in my head at least! 😆). Also the Miss Marple TV series is very good- I especially enjoy the ones with Geraldine McEwan as Miss Marple. She brings book Miss M to life portraying that fragility and the twinkle in her eye so effectively! I remember this one in particular because it had Matthew Goode!  So many now famous British actors have played small roles in Christie's TV series!

4. 4:50 from Paddington: Has an awesome, unique set up and a gutsy female lead who serves as Miss M's eyes and ears. 

5. Nemesis: Like I said, who would suspect a frail old lady of being an avenging angel? Not the bad guys for sure! Miss M kicks ass in this one. Call back to her friendship with Mr. Rafiel (whom we meet in Caribbean Mystery)

6. Sleeping Murder: This one reminds me so much of another loved and celebrated book, Rebecca. And also this is Miss M's last case so all the more poignant. 

Honorable mentions: A Pocketful of Rye, The body in the library, They do it with mirrors, At Bertram's Hotel (so different this book!)

I wish she'd written more full-length Miss Marple books, I love her and have enjoyed almost all her books. Clearly Poirot was the more popular detective but Miss M was vastly under-rated. I wonder what Marple would have thought of Poirot and vice-versa if they'd ever met? A crossover waiting to be written! 😆

Standalones or books featuring other recurring characters:

1. The man in the brown suit: The ML here is just delicious! And the FL is gutsy af. I need to reread sometime soon.

2. Why didn't they ask Evans?: Bobby and Frankie are so cute! I enjoy the AC books with young MCs and if they’re romantically involved all the better! Need to watch the series with Hugh Laurie soon. 

3. The Sittaford Mystery: oooh this one with its setting in snowy winter and the suspects. Vintage Christie!

4. The Hound of Death and other stories: These are not strictly murder mysteries. Some of them are paranormal. But a delicious collection and has given me sleepless nights.

5. N or M? : I resisted Tommy and Tuppence for the longest time because political and spy thrillers by Christie weren't my cup of tea as I had decided then. For me, Christie needed to be consumed at what she was best at- writing whodunits. But this book surprised me. I owned it for a long time (before I gifted it to my bro) and picked it up one lazy afternoon and couldn't put it down.

6. And then there were none: Sorry, this one should have been on top of the list. An act of blasphemy 😒. No words needed.

7. Sparkling Cyanide: People sitting on a table. One is murdered during dinner. AC doing what she does best. *Chef's kiss*. Need to re-read soon.

8. Towards Zero: This is barely mentioned among Christie's best but I loved this book so so much. The build-up and setting are sooo good. Such a juicy murder! Need to reread -  it’s been a while.

9. Crooked House: The central romance ahhh !  Typical Christie but Charles Hayward is .

10. Witness for the prosecution (and other stories): Ahhh a classic! Truly *Chef's kiss*. And so surprisingly different from Christie's other books in one salient fact but I won't reveal what because that would give away a major spoiler. Suffice to say- among her best works!

11. Murder is easy: The plot can go awry at times but I like it because of the ML- Luke Fitzwilliam and the romance! That's what happens with dilettante detectives- they flounder a lot so I guess it’s staying true to character! 😆

12. Mousetrap: Now this is a play but it's a great read. It's supposed to be the longest running play ever - starting in 1952 and only stopped in 2020 because of the pandemic. Brilliant! 

There are hordes of short story compilations featuring HP, Miss M, Harley Quin and standalones that I've missed out, but I thought I'd just focus on the novels. Bottomline, if murders and whodunits are your thing, you cannot go wrong with Christie!

Edited by LizzieBennet - 1 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Aiyyo.. is this book written in first person? 🤔

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Kind of Yes, with both male and female POVs...

I'm not big on the first person shizzz either...almost try to never do it but here I didn't mind. 

Pottermeow thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Kind of? But it's actually decent, not too bad, especially compared to this author's previous books, she's developed a lot in this one.... 

Also, hiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!! 

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail

My GOD! This review is everything...and I have so much to read lol 😆

I haven't tried Miss Marple yet. 😳

Not even one. 

What should be the best one to start with? What's the first book? 

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Originally posted by: Pottermeow

Kind of? But it's actually decent, not too bad, especially compared to this author's previous books, she's developed a lot in this one.... 

Also, hiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!! 

Literally just said 'Kind Of - but it wouldn't matter' in the comment above two seconds ago 😆