Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Best wishes to everyone for World Mental Health Day!

Here, in Canada, it's also our Thanksgiving Holiday. I am thankful for many things that keep me mentally healthy: fresh air, sunlight, rain, silence, drinking water throughout the day, fresh fruits, house-cleaning, outdoor exercise, reading and writing, puzzles, children and pets ...

Several members have shared that telling someone what they are feeling helps them. Silence can also be an incredibly helpful habit to prevent other people's mental health issues from becoming yours, both in real life and over the internet. If someone is directing unpleasantness at you, accusing you, telling you you're worthless, trying to start a fight or campaigning against you, you may feel that your mood is spoiled and you have to assert yourself to feel better. But take a moment to consider the source. The other person may be aggressive due to a bad diet or envy, or could be determined to misjudge you no matter what you say, or might be desperate for attention after having a bad day for reasons that have nothing to do with you. You don't have to respond on every hater's terms. You can think of a clever retort and not say it, just walk away and let the other person have the last word because you don't need it. Feeling will power and knowing that you haven't deliberately hurt anyone is great for mental health.

Since I don't have a mental health story or any expertise on the topic, I'll just share this Marathi poem by Sandeep Khare (translated into English by me) about a person dealing with real-life stress while imagining his alter ego who is insouciant. That's mental health - face your problems, and at the same time, remember to let go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsEdWvag0WI

मी हजार चिन्तांनी हे डोके खाजवतो

तो कट्ट्यावर बसतो, घुमतो, शीळ वाजवतो !

Mī hazāra cintāṃnī he ḍoke khāzavato

To kaṭṭyāvara basato, ghumato, śīḷa vāzavato!

I have a thousand worries to scratch my head

While he sits on a ledge, humming, whistling!

मी जुनाट दारापरी किरकिरा, बंदी

तो सताड उघड्या खिडकीपरी स्वच्छन्दी

मी बिजागरीशी जीव गंजवीत बसतो

तो लङ्घून चौकट पार निघाया बघतो !

Mī zunāṭa dārāparī kirakirā, bandī

To satāḍa ughaḍyā khiḍakīparī svacchandī

Mī bijāgarīśī jīva gaṃzavīta basato

To laṅghūna çaukaṭa pāra nighāyā baghato!

I'm like an old door, grumbling, stuck shut

He's like a wide-open window, idiorhythmic

I wait, rusting my life against the hinges

He's set to jump the frame and go out free!

डोळ्यांत माझिया सूर्याहुनी संताप

दिसतात त्वचेवर राप, उन्हाचे शाप !

तो त्याच उन्हाचे झगझगीत लखलखते

घडवून दागिने सूर्यफुलांवर झुलतो !

Ḍoḷyāṃta mājhiyā sūryāhunī saṃtāpa

Disatāta tvacevara rāpa, unhāçe śāpa!

To tyāça unhāçe zhagazhagīta lakhalakhate

Ghaḍavūna dāgine sūryaphulāṃvara zhulato!

My frustrated gaze is hotter than the sun

See my tanned skin, the curses of that heat!

He fashions ornaments, sparkling and bright

Of that same heat, rocking over the sunflowers!

मी पायी रुतल्या काचांवरती चिडतो

तो त्याच घेउनी नक्षी मांडून बसतो

मी डाव रडीचा खात जिंकतो अन्ती

तो स्वच्छ मोकळ्या मुक्त मनाने हरतो !

Mī pāyī rutalyā kāçāṃvaratī ciḍato

To tyāça ghe'unī nakṣī māṇḍūna basato

Mī ḍāva raḍīçā khāta jiṅkato antī

To svaccha mokaḷyā mukta manāne harato!

I'm mad at the glass shards stuck in my feet

He takes them and arranges them in a pattern

I cheat in the game and win in the end

That honest, generous, easygoing one, he loses!

मी आस्तिक ! मोजत पुण्याईची खोली

नवसांची ठेवून लाच, लावतो बोली !

तो मुळात येतो इच्छा अर्पून साऱ्या

अन् धन्यवाद देवाचे घेऊन जातो !

Mī āstika! mozata puṇyāīcī kholī

Navasāñcī ṭhevūna lāça, lāvato bolī!

To muḷāta yeto icchā arpūna sāryā

An dhanyavāda devāçe ghe'ūna zāto!

I'm a believer! I measure my merit's depth

I promise bribes, then say we have a deal!

He hands over all his wishes, then visits

Receives thanks from God, and leaves!

मज अध्यात्माचा रोज नवा शृङ्गार

लपतो न परि चेहरा आत भेसूर !

तो फक्त ओढतो शाल नभाची तरीही

त्या श्यामनिळ्याच्या मोरपिसापरी दिसतो !

Maza adhyātmāçā roza navā śṛṅgāra

Lapato na pari ceharā āta bhesūra!

To phakta oḍhato śāla nabhācī tarīhī

Tyā śyāmaniḷyācyā morapisāparī disato!

Each day, I wear new makeup of self-awareness

That can't hide the terrifying face within

He's wrapped in only the sky's shawl, yet

Looks like dark-skinned God's peacock-feather!

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
Ramya_98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Firstly, I must say this such a wonderful initiative and great job coming up with such an exhaustive writeup on the topic of mental health. Kudos to the whole team for doing this!

Secondly, hugs to all those people who were brave enough to share their stories. I am so proud of each one of you and you guys are the real superstars.🤗

As someone who has struggled with a lot of dark days, I know how difficult it is talking about this. My 4 years in engineering college were the darkest years of my life. I have always been introverted and socially anxious but in college, I was bullied because of my social anxiousness by a lot of people, including the profs, to the point where I hated myself and felt like I was useless and worthless and could never make anything out of my life. At the end of those 4 years, I landed a job at one of my dream companies and it was only once I started working there that I slowly began to feel a little bit better about myself. I still had voices in my head though and I still kept feeling not good enough so after a year there, I decided I had to change things. I started out on a journey to make conscious efforts to heal, to control my overthinking and to generally start accepting and loving myself and building up my confidence. I have come a long way since then though I must admit I still have days when I feel trapped and lost. 

I am still working pretty hard towards loving myself and I am proud of each one of you who is currently going through something and trying hard not to give up and trying hard to learn to love oneself.

Edited by Ramya_98 - 1 years ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

FFEs could we please have a "mental health" tag so that all these beautiful poems could be found under that tag. 😳

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: DelusionsOfNeha

FFEs could we please have a "mental health" tag so that all these beautiful poems could be found under that tag. 😳

Neha, Ramya herself is an FFE, 😊, she will post these poems in the FF section soon. ❤️

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: DelusionsOfNeha

Tag? You mean like the LGBTQ+, WriteTheBie, Barso re etc? Woh hum nahi banate, jaani😅 you can just used it while posting your poem, like instagram hashtag.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

Tag? You mean like the LGBTQ+, WriteTheBie, Barso re etc? Woh hum nahi banate, jaani😅 you can just used it while posting your poem, like instagram hashtag.

ooh, cool then 😆 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Wrong post

Edited by Viswasruti - 1 years ago
BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

nautankitadka, would you like to edit your book to include the tags writethebite and mental health?

DelusionsOfNeha, do you mind if I use the mental health tag for my book that features a conversion therapist and a character whose personified conscience can interpret what his dog is saying?

FFEditors, is it still a rule that translations are not allowed in the Fan Fiction section? If it's a rule, and Ramya_98 is going to make one book with all the mental health poems, my translation of Sandeep Khare's poem would have to be left out, right?

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

nautankitadka, would you like to edit your book to include the tags writethebite and mental health?

DelusionsOfNeha, do you mind if I use the mental health tag for my book that features a conversion therapist and a character whose personified conscience can interpret what his dog is saying?

FFEditors, is it still a rule that translations are not allowed in the Fan Fiction section? If it's a rule, and Ramya_98 is going to make one book with all the mental health poems, my translation of Sandeep Khare's poem would have to be left out, right?

Original fictions/ poems and serial based FF/SS/OS/ Poems are allowed in the FF section. For the time being, no translations. 

Any author can post their poems, just like Ramya is going to do, i.e, she is willing to post her poems as one volume/book.

Please note this.

Edited by Viswasruti - 1 years ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

please go ahead

👍🏼