Member Topic: Is social media a boon or a bane?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 1 years ago

Is social media just another form of expression or do you think it is more of a menace?

Is it more positive or does it have more negative consequences for e.g. fodder for trolls?

Or is it a mixed bag?

Opinions??

With your real id? Necessary evil. There really is no option to live without it in  society. It is entwined in every part of my life. I really am not interested in the life of every narcissistic twerp out there.

Just saw this funny scene from the movie Makal where this young thief was interrupted at midnight during looting by his nagging wife to wish Happy B'day to a young cousin. He does so and is nabbed by the people in the house. The pressures of social media.

With a made-up user id people seem comfortable to say things which they wouldn't dare in real life.Just like the mob mentality during a riot.

Edited by capricornrcks - 1 years ago

Its depends on person.

For me it has been boon for me since i got to know the real faces of many people through this who were whitewashed by main stream media.

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.

Until it becomes an addiction, it is fine. Totally depends on the person. 

We are getting far away from the small, simple happiness of life by getting addicted to our mobiles/tabs/laptops.

If you switch it off for 2 hours and spend some quality time, then you will realize how much of an impact this has on your life.

Originally posted by mintyblue

Is social media just another form of expression or do you think it is more of a menace?

Is it more positive or does it have more negative consequences for e.g. fodder for trolls?

Or is it a mixed bag?

Opinions??

expression, mixed bag . Back in 2012 this place was todo the dogs. I went to read it and wow so much drama it was more intense then I had remembered it was like reliving the events all over again 

I think the pandemic also made sites like tik tok and instagram popular to all age groups. Tik Tok prior to the pandemic was more of a teenage thing, but when people were staying at home and could not interact with those outside their household it was an escape and I remember someone telling me to check it out as I was using the time Initially to complete important things online to advance in my career. Once I was done with those things I checked out tik tok and got active on other social media like instagram and twitter( which I abandoned when I became inactive here). 

Then when tik tok was banned in india many Indians I met on that site migrated over to instagram   and wanting to keep in touch with them I slowly went over there and checked out reels and then instagram lives lol !! 

I still use tik tok as in the usa it wasn’t banned but not as much but use instagram and twitter more. 

But as someone said it’s hard to not be without your phone lol whether to chat text watch things or make videos etc