Food, Drinks & Recipes

Bombay Potatoes - Indian Recipe

Jade12 thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Place cubed potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once water is boiling, cook until potatoes are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.

Heat the oil in the skillet. Add mustard seeds and shallots and toast for a 2-3 minutes until slightly soft. Add ginger and turmeric. Saute for 30 seconds, then add the potatoes.

These dishes are the go-to traditional dishes that fans of Indian food cook all the time, but with a vegetarian or vegan twist of course.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp of cumin seeds
  • 2 shallots (finely diced)
  • 1 tsp ginger (grated)
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • ½ cup tomato puree
  • ½ to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp curry powder (taste and add more if you wish)
  • Pinch of salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp cilantro (optional, for garnish)

DIRECTIONS

• Place cubed potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once water is boiling, cook until potatoes are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
  • Heat the oil in the skillet. Add mustard seeds and shallots and toast for a 2-3 minutes until slightly soft. Add ginger and turmeric. Saute for 30 seconds, then add the potatoes.
  • Add a pinch of salt, mix and cover the skillet with a tight lid. Keep the heat to the lower side.
  • Add the tomato puree to the skillet along with the cayenne and curry powder and mix well. Continue cooking on medium-low heat for another 10 minutes and place the lid back on the skillet, making sure to stir a few times during cooking. The potatoes at the bottom of the pan should crust a bit but they shouldn’t burn.
  • Once the potatoes are fully cooked, take the lid off and continue stir-frying, keep it at low heat. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
  • Turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro (but optional). Serve warm.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sutapasima thumbnail

Thanks for sharing 😊

yummm i just love potatoes...even though it's not good for my health but still i can never resist 'em!