Marathi TV

Actor Shashank Ketkar reacts: Pakistani flag, New York City, August 15

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

I hope this topic is allowed. It is not my intention to attack the actor for his opinion. He has a right to express his displeasure, make a video of it, and share it with the whole world. For whatever reason, YouTube suggested that I should watch the video, and my intention is to offer a different point of view respectfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwYEMlrMFg

Although 75 years have passed since Partition, there are still people alive today, in India and in Pakistan, who represent one country but remember the other as home. In fine arts especially, there have been efforts to preserve our cultural unity. Even my insignificant fan fictions set in present-day India have a few readers from Pakistan, so I expect that TV actors in India, like Shashank Ketkar, have countless fans who live in Pakistan. They have goodwill for him that they imagine is mutual, but his video communicates that he wanted their country's flag taken down in New York City for his country's special day.

When one is a guest in a foreign country, one cannot expect everything to be just the same as at home. Before sharing a video complaining that he saw a Pakistani flag and not an Indian flag on August 15 in New York City, Shashank Ketkar could have done a quick internet search and found the official comments from the mayor of New York City: this is the first time the Pakistani flag has been raised by the city.

Almost twenty-one years ago, anti-Muslim sentiment exploded in the U.S.A. after New York City was attacked. Eleven years ago, the instigator of that attack was revealed to be hiding in Pakistan. It has taken this long for New York City to extend this gesture of welcome to its Pakistani community.

If the Pakistani flag stays up for an extra day or many days in New York City, and the Indian flag doesn't take its place, can Indians be generous about it?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NerdyMukta thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

I hope this topic is allowed. It is not my intention to attack the actor for his opinion. He has a right to express his displeasure, make a video of it, and share it with the whole world. For whatever reason, YouTube suggested that I should watch the video, and my intention is to offer a different point of view respectfully.

Although 75 years have passed since Partition, there are still people alive today, in India and in Pakistan, who represent one country but remember the other as home. In fine arts especially, there have been efforts to preserve our cultural unity. Even my insignificant fan fictions set in present-day India have a few readers from Pakistan, so I expect that TV actors in India, like Shashank Ketkar, have countless fans who live in Pakistan. They have goodwill for him that they imagine is mutual, but his video communicates that he wanted their country's flag taken down in New York City for his country's special day.

When one is a guest in a foreign country, one cannot expect everything to be just the same as at home. Before sharing a video complaining that he saw a Pakistani flag and not an Indian flag on August 15 in New York City, Shashank Ketkar could have done a quick internet search and found the official comments from the mayor of New York City: this is the first time the Pakistani flag has been raised by the city.

Almost twenty-one years ago, anti-Muslim sentiment exploded in the U.S.A. after New York City was attacked. Eleven years ago, the instigator of that attack was revealed to be hiding in Pakistan. It has taken this long for New York City to extend this gesture of welcome to its Pakistani community.

If the Pakistani flag stays up for an extra day or many days in New York City, and the Indian flag doesn't take its place, can Indians be generous about it?

What US does with Pakistani flag and Pakistani people is their prerogative. I agree with your post. 

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Good lord just put up another flag by yourself!  this insensitivity is terrible! 

#brihad_bharat_banana_hai

Let's really go back to basics ðŸ¤£ Indus Valley Civilization era ðŸ˜Ž

NerdyMukta thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: DelusionsOfNeha

Good lord just put up another flag by yourself!  this insensitivity is terrible! 

#brihad_bharat_banana_hai

Let's really go back to basics ðŸ¤£ Indus Valley Civilization era ðŸ˜Ž

He's from India so I'll excuse his ignorance. When you live abroad; especially in NYC which is melting pot of culture from several nations, such a small thing doesn't bother you. 

One has to look at the bigger picture in terms of bilateral relations between the 2 countries, viz. India and the US. 

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: NerdyMukta

He's from India so I'll excuse his ignorance. When you live abroad; especially in NYC which is melting pot of culture from several nations, such a small thing doesn't bother you. 

One has to look at the bigger picture in terms of bilateral relations between the 2 countries, viz. India and the US. 

India has been a melting pot of civilizations since time immemorial! Our culture is known for tolerance and amalgamation. All this hatred is Western Propaganda, being used by politicians for their own gains - divide & rule 

dhun.laagi thumbnail

Ha tar murkha maanuus aahe. Simply put. I had seen him accidentally at an airport with my group of friends. He saw us talking in Marathi, started talking loudly in English about how much he loves certain politicians, so we can see him and call out. We did not because he was giving some very unsolicited opinions about things he had no clue about. Yet did not leave the McDonalds even though he was done eating, till people noticed him. 

As for the amalgamation of religious/cultural identities in India, agree with Neha. The common people mostly do not have any issues with any other culture and do understand that our history and the horrific Partition is still a lived memory to many in the North, and we have been coexisting in our own ways in our own regions too. But it is politically driven hate that is constantly being used to divide us.