Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago

I am in two minds about this. 

The original DDLJ story was intended to be an interracial love story. Interracial relationships are real and relatable to Indians living abroad. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the concept. 

BUT

One of the big reasons DDLJ worked was the inherent Indianness of the lead pair. Raj and Simran struggle to reconcile their rebellious love with their traditional expectations. For many Indians abroad who feel disconnected from their culture because of westernization, Raj was a reassurance of their roots. Replace either lead - and the story just will not resonate the same. 

PLUS

If you wanted to go the interracial route, you could have gone many directions instead of the generic white boy. Many Indian families do accept white folks, but it is when Indians date other races that it still gets controversial. They missed an opportunity to show more interesting and nuanced stories. 

ALSO

West Side Story exists as the classic white boy and woman of color musical love story. 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I am in two minds about this. 

The original DDLJ story was intended to be an interracial love story. Interracial relationships are real and relatable to Indians living abroad. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the concept. 

BUT

One of the big reasons DDLJ worked was the inherent Indianness of the lead pair. Raj and Simran struggle to reconcile their rebellious love with their traditional expectations. For many Indians abroad who feel disconnected from their culture because of westernization, Raj was a reassurance of their roots. Replace either lead - and the story just will not resonate the same. 

PLUS

If you wanted to go the interracial route, you could have gone many directions instead of the generic white boy. Many Indian families do accept white folks, but it is when Indians date other races that it still gets controversial. They missed an opportunity to show more interesting and nuanced stories. 

ALSO

West Side Story exists as the classic white boy and woman of color musical love story. 

You mean Indian parents don't want their children dating blacks?

TotalBetty thumbnail
Originally posted by: M.Wheeler

Am I the only one who doesn't get the hype around ddlj? I can never watch that movie beyond 15 minutes

If they really want to remake SRK movies do veer zaraa. That s classic 

Kindred soul

Muskie thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

What's up with their smiles😕

Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Yikes! You just know they're going to show the white family/lead as a progressive, liberal and the Desi family as racist, conservatives.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Originally posted by: SaayaOfKaaya

Yikes! You just know they're going to show the white family/lead as a progressive, liberal and the Desi family as racist, conservatives.

Think positive 

Maybe both the families will be portrayed as racist, conservatives

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: Clochette

Sure, you're not the only one 😊

Veer Zaara as a musical on Broadway???

Yes. Veer zara is perfect. It has all the elements. Love, angst, heartbreak, separation and injustice 

Much better than ddlj

Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

We really are living in ghor kalyug aren't we. 

Also, they couldn't find someone uglier than him?