🏏India vs England: 1st ODI at The Oval 🏏

Posted: 1 years ago

๐ŸIndia vs England: 1st ODI at The Oval - 12 July 2022๐Ÿ

Bairstow, Root and Stokes back in action as England look to avenge T20I series loss

India will keep a close eye on the bowling workload of Hardik Pandya, who is set to play his first ODI in nearly a year.

England have picked Brydon Carse for the ODIs, and the Durham seamer's role could be to fill Liam Plunkett's shoes by bowling hard lengths. Moreover, the hosts also would be bolstered by the return of the star trio - Ben Stokes, Joe Root and Bairstow - to the fold. Meanwhile, India have decided to take an alternative route in limited overs by playing with more freedom. The cast is mostly the same but the theme of the plot seems to have changed a bit. India's new batting blueprint could lead to the occasional crash-landing. But in the longer run, the ramped-up tempo is set to bring in rewards.

There are still a few areas of concern. One of them is Virat Kohli's dip in form. Shreyas Iyer's struggles against the short ball is another. India also would be missing the services of Bhuvuneshwar Kumar, who in turn generated appreciable swing to dismantle England's top-order in the T20Is. In his absence, Mohammed Shami is set to join forces with Jasprit Bumrah. Prasidh Krishna could be the battering ram of the side. Arshdeep Singh's left-arm angle provides another quiver to the fast bowling bow while Hardik Pandya's all-round skills add further depth to the side.

Possible XI for England: Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow, Joe Root, Liam Livingstone, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (c, wk), Moeen Ali, David Willey, Brydon Carse, Craig Overton/Matt Parkinson, Reece Topley

Possible XI for India: Rohit Sharma (c), Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur/Prasidh Krishna, Mohammed Shami, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah.

Oval Stadium details

Original name: Kennington Oval, now Kia Oval Capacity: 28000 Host county: Surrey Owned by: Charles (Prince of Wales), Duchess of Cornwall. Established: 1845 Boundary length: Onside: 67M, Off-side: 70M, Vauxhall End: 68M, Pavilion End: 66M. Average ODI score: 250

Pitch Report: Kennington Oval Stadium is a good scoring ground. The average 1st innings total in ODIs at the stadium is 248 while the average 2nd innings total is 217. 

Pacers will get a lot of swing at the stadium.  So far the Kia Oval ground has hosted 75 ODIs with teams batting first winning 30 times while the team chasing winning 41 times. India won both the T20IS batting first and putting up a huge score.

The Kennington Oval pitch is generally a flat one with matches often producing high scoring thrillers. The spinners might just have to play a larger role at this venue as the pitch might wear out as the match progresses. Batsmen can trust the bounce here and play their shots while pacers might get some initial purchase from the pitch.

Weather Forecast: According to reports from weather.com, the temperature of London city of England on July 12 (Tuesday) will be 31ยฐ Celcius during the day and fall to 20ยฐ Celcius at night. The sky will be cloudy during the day and night. The chances of rain are 1% during the whole day. The humidity will be around 43% during the day and rise to 49% at night.

"50-over cricket is an extension of T20 cricket. You might take slightly fewer risks than you do in T20s, but we have to take risks. It is not as if we won't take risks. We need to get used to playing freely. When you try to play freely, it comes with its failures both in individual performance and in team results, but you get to learn a lot from that. We are looking at the bigger picture, not the small picture. As it is, in India we are used to two-and-a-half-hour pictures. All these matches are crucial for us because somewhere we need to change something, and we can see things have started to change slightly," Rohit Sharma on India's new batting template.

Some Facts.

• Since the 2019 World Cup, England have played only 21 ODIs. Among Full Members, only New Zealand (11), Pakistan (17) and Zimbabwe (18) have played fewer ODIs.
  • Stokes, Player of the Match in the World Cup final, has only played in six ODIs since. Root, England's leading run-getter in the tournament, has played only nine ODIs in that period.
  • Since the Covid break in mid-2020, India have scored only one ODI hundred in all ODIs (home plus away) while they have conceded seven.
  • David Willey and Sam Curran shared nine wickets in the last ODI played at The Oval, against Sri Lanka last year.
  • Joe Root has the most runs at the Oval among active cricketers. He has scored 548 runs in 10 innings here, at an average of 68.50 with five fifties and a ton.
  • Rohit Sharma has seven centuries in 24 ODI innings in England, the most by any visiting batter. He has scored 1335 runs at an average of 66.75 in the country.

me aayiiiiiiiiii

Thanks for the tag Raji.....

Hope we make it

Thanks for the thread and the Tag Raji. 

Extending good wishes to Team India. โญ๏ธ

Everything aside from learning about cricket, am still figuring out the team I would cheer for and make it my team since I do not come from a cricket-playing country. ๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by Chir-Cute

Everything aside from learning about cricket, am still figuring out the team I would cheer for and make it my team since I do not come from a cricket-playing country. ๐Ÿ˜†

In sports, all world is one, no boundaries, and no barriers. 

I always watch Wimbledon with great interest. 

Thanks Savera84.. 

BTW.. any news on Virat Kohli.. playing this one? Last I read the news that he sustained a groin injury in the last T20.

Regards