Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

Not quite sure how you get that.

My parents worked hard to make a better life for me. I have enough confidence in their love for me to state that. I don't feel entitled to the fruits of their labor, but I do realize they did for me and my siblings. 

I will work hard for my children as well. And I would hope they understand the love that goes behind it.

I can't imagine growing up without that sense of belonging with someone, knowing they'll have your back. It's not entitlement. It's family.

Emotional support is different from giving unfair opportunities. Ofcourse you can support your child emotionally and guide them. But the question was nepotism, she was clearly asked about nepotism which by definition is getting opportunities because of parents/relatives. And to a question like that you answer that parents have to provide for their children which clearly means they’re entitled to those opportunities which their parents had worked hard for. Despite the fact that they deserve it or not, or are good or competent enough for it.

Originally posted by blue-ice.1

No this is not what she says.....its natural for parents(most of them) to want to give a better life to their kids because of the love....all she is saying that there is nothing wrong with that....she is not saying that I am not going to work..because my mother did my share of hard work too...😆

But she is getting opportunities because of her mother and that is nepotism. Can you deny it? So in a way she is saying that she is entitled to those opportunities.

Originally posted by Tinkerbelle88

Emotional support is different from giving unfair opportunities. Ofcourse you can support your child emotionally and guide them. But the question was nepotism, she was clearly asked about nepotism which by definition is getting opportunities because of parents/relatives. And to a question like that you answer that parents have to provide for their children which clearly means they’re entitled to those opportunities which their parents had worked hard for. Despite the fact that they deserve it or not, or are good or competent enough for it.

For one, children are 100% owed financial support until they reach adulthood. Even after adulthood, most nations insist on parents paying for college.

For another, no... parents do not just provide emotional support and guidance.

At no point in time would I have begrudged my parents spending their money on themselves. But I knew very well one of their main aims in working hard was to make sure life was better for me.

And my kids will be one of the main reasons I work hard, too. I'm not there just to provide moral support. And what I earned is not for someone else. Regardless of the fact whether you (generic you) consider my children competent or skilled, my hard-earned wealth and reputation are going to help them, not someone else.

It's family. Not entitlement.

For one, children are 100% owed financial support until they reach adulthood. Even after adulthood, most nations insist on parents paying for college.

For another, no... parents do not just provide emotional support and guidance.

At no point in time would I have begrudged my parents spending their money on themselves. But I knew very well one of their main aims in working hard was to make sure life was better for me.

And my kids will be one of the main reasons I work hard, too. I'm not there just to provide moral support. And what I earned is not for someone else. Regardless of the fact whether you (generic you) consider my children competent or skilled, my hard-earned wealth and reputation are going to help them, not someone else.

It's family. Not entitlement.

Regardless of the fact whether you (generic you) consider my children competent or skilled, my hard-earned wealth and reputation are going to help them, not someone else. Thank you, you just proved my point. This is basically called nepotism. And it’s okay if you’re pro nepotism and you believe that your children deserve the opportunities that you’ve worked for. That’s fine, it’s just a difference of opinion. So let’s just leave it at that

Originally posted by Shaitan-Haiwan

Good point, but when you start blocking outsiders and throwing people out of projects - then it becomes nepotism in its ugliest forms. 

Theres documented proof outsiders do this when they start getting power 😆

Regardless of the fact whether you (generic you) consider my children competent or skilled, my hard-earned wealth and reputation are going to help them, not someone else. Thank you, you just proved my point. This is basically called nepotism. And it’s okay if you’re pro nepotism and you believe that your children deserve the opportunities that you’ve worked for. That’s fine, it’s just a difference of opinion. So let’s just leave it at that

Ok. Show me one parent in the world who has a good relationship with children and still leaves what he has to someone else.

Tell me your parents will.

Tell me you will.

You can call it nepotism. I call it being a family. I believe 95%+ of the world will agree. 

People don't work only for themselves. They work for their families as much as they work for themselves. What kind of selfishness it would be to not consider family in the equation. And no, feeding outsiders in place of your own family is not selflessness. It simply makes you a terrible parent. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago

There's this thing called brood parasitism.

Back in Kerala, crows' nests are common. Dunno what's the English name for kuyil is. Maybe cuckoo. It has developed a way of laying eggs into crows' nests when the crows are away. The eggs look similar.

When the baby birds hatch, the kuyil is easy to pick out. Crows cawing as opposed to kuyil singing. Well, guess what? The crows still kicks out the sweeter singing kuyil. Because it ain't her kid.

It's animal instinct to protect your own over other. In other words, family. Unless we are now going to believe there's a vast conspiracy in the entire animal kingdom to promote nepotism. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago

Ok. Show me one parent in the world who has a good relationship with children and still leaves what he has to someone else.

Tell me you will.

You can call it nepotism. I call it being a family. I believe 95%+ of the world will agree. 

People don't work only for themselves. They work for their families as much as they work for themselves. What kind of selfishness it would be to not consider family in the equation. And no, feeding outsiders in place of your own family is not selflessness. It simply makes you a terrible parent. 

Now you’re derailing my friend. Honestly I don’t wanna rile you up. I can see that’s something very personal to you and you’re very emotionally attached to it. I’m not a parent so I don’t know much. I just think that even parents deserve to live for themselves. But that’s a different discussion and has nothing to do with nepotism. We will really go off topic then. Kindly accept that my opinion is different from yours like I have accepted yours. 

Now you’re derailing my friend. Honestly I don’t wanna rile you up. I can see that’s something very personal to you and you’re very emotionally attached to it. I’m not a parent so I don’t know much. I just think that even parents deserve to live for themselves. But that’s a different discussion and has nothing to do with nepotism. We will really go off topic then. Kindly accept that my opinion is different from yours like I have accepted yours. 

I'm not derailing one bit. I'd in fact say you're trying to derail by making it personal. 😆

Neither the woman in the video nor I said parents shouldn't live for themselves. In fact, I repeated several times they should. 

But parents are going to work for their own kids, not someone else's. Those are just facts. She's stating facts. Nothing else. 

Any charity I or anyone else will do for others is just that. Charity. Love and belonging and support go to family. Any idea it might be otherwise is fictional. 

Tell me you will.

I work 2 jobs...one full time, one part time....and no one is going to give me the gyaan that my hard earned money is for people who MIGHT be better than my kids....it doesn't happen that way and no its not nepotism...that is just being a parent...There is no one more important in the world than my 2 kids...and I hope its the same for every parent...Don't bring kids in this world if they will not be the most important for you than everyone else..