Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Siddhanth Kapoor detained by Police for allegedly consuming drugs - Page 19

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

This content was originally posted by: iBleedPink

That the youths of India are any less fcuked up than the youths of America is another myth I don't believe in. Sorry! I have hung out with enough "youths" of India who came here to do their Masters and went back home after finishing ... or flunking out, whichever. I was more scandalized by their lifestyle and they were from India and only here temporarily. Some were doing coke every other day, and were addicted to it -- it was a habit they picked up back home. 

You do realise how small of a sample size that is for you to draw conclusions about India's youth? You are quite literally equating the SoBo kinda kids who go for masters' in the US to the entirely of young population in India lmao. Masters in US is a lot expensive compared to Europe and mostly affluent kids (read: spoilt rich SoBo) go for them. They are accustomed to a certain kind of life which they continue to lead wherever they go. The rest scrape through to masters abroad either on scholarships or hefty loans taken back home. And they don't have the time or the resources to indulge in consumption of drugs. The ground reality is far different than what IF or a sub section of youths you hung out with would have you believe. While you're out here asking others to not to generalize opinions as an ABCD, you're doing the same with limited info. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

Every time there’s a drug discussion, lot of members start, sab log drugs karte hai. What’s the big deal. Decriminalize it. Provide rehabilitation.

I cannot speak for everyone. I don't think everyone does drugs. I don't think it's not a big deal. And I don't advocate for decriminalization because everyone does drugs and it's fine. We perhaps even agree on many aspects of drug usage like - drugs are dangerous and can cause life-threatening illnesses and even death, drug addiction is a terrible thing that can tear families apart and ruin people's lives, parental drug use can cause rare birth defects, physical deformities, and learning disabilities in children, and yes drugs do lead to violent crime in many instances. 

The reason I advocate for decriminalization is that the war on drugs has failed in preventing these very things we find problematic in drugs. In fact, it has exacerbated many of these exact concerns people have about drugs. Many laws and policies are based on outdated and often racist perceptions of drug use. (Poor people using street drugs are a problem but pill-popping suburban moms mixing wine and Xanax are harmless. 

- Drugs are unique chemicals. Each with its own properties. Each causes a different metabolic reaction in the human body. Each has a different level of dangerousness and addiction. Legislation should be based on chemical properties. This is why I believe marijuana and most hallucinogens should be legalized. 

- Cocaine, Meth, Heroin and most other hard drugs that are chemically both addictive and toxic should remain illicit. Decriminalization doesn't mean it is fine to use them. Decriminalization means reshaping priorities and redirecting resources to be more sensible and affecting.  The War on Drugs hasn't reconnected families, fixed financial woes, saved children from addicted parents, or prevented drug-related violent crime. Obviously, decriminalization is not a magic pill that will fix everything overnight. But it does attempt to prevent and minimize the effects of addiction.

- The war on drugs perpetuated a myth that drugs are a youth party problem or a low-income/people of color nefarious problem. Addiction is highest in older people and disabled communities due to the inability and lack of support to cope with pain. Today the opioid epidemic impacts mostly middle-class middle-aged people all over. So many children die or get injured because their parents are functional addicts frequently mixing prescription pills and alcohol - but it gets ignored because of the myth of nice safe suburbia.  Professionals in high-demand/high-stress fields are the most likely to use stimulants like cocaine and meth. We need to rewrite the narrative on who uses drugs and how they get addicted. 

I may not convince you and we may continue to strongly disagree. But its fine because I think the end goal is the same - safe healthy families and communities. 

This content was originally posted by: DetachednNumb

You do realise how small of a sample size that is for you to draw conclusions about India's youth? You are quite literally equating the SoBo kinda kids who go for masters' in the US to the entirely of young population in India lmao. Masters in US is a lot expensive compared to Europe and mostly affluent kids (read: spoilt rich SoBo) go for them. They are accustomed to a certain kind of life which they continue to lead wherever they go. The rest scrape through to masters abroad either on scholarships or hefty loans taken back home. And they don't have the time or the resources to indulge in consumption of drugs. The ground reality is far different than what IF or a sub section of youths you hung out with would have you believe. While you're out here asking others to not to generalize opinions as an ABCD, you're doing the same with limited info. 

I'm aware that the SoBo kids don't represent all of India. That was just an anecdotal something I shared firstly to say that Indians not a monolith and secondly, cuz I thought Nimbu was knocking American youths. She already clarified her stance that she only meant it in the context of drugs. 

Now, there are no stats to go with that claim, and it's a topic I haven't looked up in detail, so I remain skeptical there. But I've said most of what I had to say on this topic and really cannot keep up with this debate anymore.

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Just learned yesterday that Shakti Kapoor is a BJP guy....no wonder his sunny boy was in and out in a jiffy😆....

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

This content was originally posted by: iBleedPink

I'm aware that the SoBo kids don't represent all of India. That was just an anecdotal something I shared firstly to say that Indians not a monolith and secondly, cuz I thought Nimbu was knocking American youths. She already clarified her stance that she only meant it in the context of drugs. 

Now, there are no stats to go with that claim, and it's a topic I haven't looked up in detail, so I remain skeptical there. But I've said most of what I had to say on this topic and really cannot keep up with this debate anymore.

SoBo kids aren't the only ones who go for Masters in US. Engineering schools in the States are filled with small town B.Tech kids. Most of them lower middle class. And if people think those kids have never seen a joint or a pill before, I don't know what to tell them. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: semantic.error

SoBo kids aren't the only ones who go for Masters in US. Engineering schools in the States are filled with small town B.Tech kids. Most of them lower middle class. And if people think those kids have never seen a joint or a pill before, I don't know what to tell them. 

That's what I was thinking. Most who go to the U.S. for masters are not rich. Regular middle class people send their kids to the U.S. on loans. I don't know if it's common, but I've heard them referred to as PIGS, or Poor Indian Graduate Students, by 2nd gen Indians. FOB is a fairly common epithet of course.

And smoking pot is as common among them as among the rich. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago