Did RRR and especially Pushpa had misogynistic scenes?

Posted: 1 years ago

The misogyny shown in Bahubali and KGF are easy to criticize because it has scenes where the hero is directly  exerting his force on the heroine which are clearly straight up harassment. 

Pushpa and RRR didn't have such scenes but does that mean those movies are free of misogyny?

I think RRR only had one scene where Ram punctures Jenny's car to make her get a ride in Bheem's bike. This is something which could happen in real as well. Though in real life such an act would come under harassment but in the movie that scene is played for laughs.

Pushpa on the other hand deals with lot of casual misogyny throughout the movie. Pushpa is shown working with Jolly Reddy who putting it mildly is a rapist and the hero has no problem with it. Jolly Reddy brings a girl forcefully to his godown and Pushpa does nothing about it except asking his friend to send her home. 

The whole Srivalli song normalises stalking which is nothing new in Indian movies. He asks for a kiss by giving 500 rupees to the heroine, which can be justified by saying well, he didn't force her to come.🤷

But even after knowing that the heroine is not interested in him, he comes to her house with a marriage proposal. And when Jolly Reddy forces Srivalli to sleep with him and she comes to Pushpa to ask for help, he doesn't agree to help her until she accepts that she loves him. 

There's another scene where Pushpa is shown putting his hand on Srivalli's breast. Again it can be justified by saying it can happen between couples.🤷But such a scene in a film filled with misogyny is still going to get much more criticism than it should. 

Still both Pushpa and Ram in RRR are shown as grey shaded characters so why should it be a big deal if it's shown that they're doing problematic acts?

Ram in RRR is shown as a person who can go to any length to achieve his goals, no matter if it's right or wrong. He does much worse acts in the movie than just puncturing someone's tire. 

Pushpa is a criminal who works with other criminals. He has no problem seeing innocents getting murdered around him then why would he care about women getting raped? 

Not just criminals, even common people ignore any injustice happening around them. Pushpa is set in 90s in a remote village. A person like Jolly Reddy can very well be real and can easily exist in such a setting. 

The misogyny shown in Pushpa and RRR are very much in character of the heroes. Does that give these movies a pass?

RRR scene is not that bad he didn’t mistreat or misbehave with her 

Pushpaa was worse. She did love him but pretended not to that’s why she refused. I agree about Jolly scene when he raped another girl. When did Pushpaa touch her chest? 

Misogyny - hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women, manifested in various forms such as physical intimidation and abuse, sexual harassment and rape, social shunning and ostracism, etc.:

I don't know about Pushpa but RRR didn't have any misogynistic scenes, The scene where Ram punctures Jenny's car was problematic in isolation but not with the scene which followed it, In any case, neither Rama nor Bheema interacted with women enough for us to make any judgement on how they treated women, the whole movie revolved around them and their interactions were with each other, they didn't misbehave with Jenny or any other woman at any point

How did you conclude that Ram as a character is misogynistic? 

Bahubali junior was 😶🤕 Bahubali senior was good 

PS - I read your post again, I am just trying to figure out, how did you list horrible things Pushpa did to the girl and there's mention of him overlooking rape and equated that to Ram's character in RRR where the scene you are talking about played out with Jenny asking Bheem for a ride, Ram suggested "Perhaps you can ask him for a ride"

I am so confused, how one scene is picked on and whole movie is painted misogynistic because we have to use the term which doesn't even make sense here? 

Edited by NoraSM - 1 years ago
Originally posted by priya185

RRR scene is not that bad he didn’t mistreat or misbehave with her 

Pushpaa was worse. She did love him but pretended not to that’s why she refused. I agree about Jolly scene when he raped another girl. When did Pushpaa touch her chest? 

After falling in love and romancing in a van.

That scene was not need to be shown as obvious... It was uncomfortable to watch the way it was presented. They could have avoided it.

Edited by -PD- - 1 years ago
Originally posted by NoraSM

Misogyny - hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women, manifested in various forms such as physical intimidation and abuse, sexual harassment and rape, social shunning and ostracism, etc.:

I don't know about Pushpa but RRR didn't have any misogynistic scenes, The scene where Ram punctures Jenny's car was problematic in isolation but not with the scene which followed it, In any case, neither Rama nor Bheema interacted with women enough for us to make any judgement on how they treated women, the whole movie revolved around them and their interactions were with each other, they didn't misbehave with Jenny or any other woman at any point

How did you conclude that Ram as a character is misogynistic? 

Bahubali junior was 😶🤕 Bahubali senior was good 

PS - I read your post again, I am just trying to figure out, how did you list horrible things Pushpa did to the girl and there's mention of him overlooking rape and equated that to Ram's character in RRR where the scene you are talking about played out with Jenny asking Bheem for a ride, Ram suggested "Perhaps you can ask him for a ride"

I am so confused, how one scene is picked on and whole movie is painted misogynistic because we have to use the term which doesn't even make sense here? 

I'm not painting the whole movie as misogynistic. I'm specifically talking about the scenes, which you said can be problematic in isolation. It's just that, that scene was played like it's something funny, when in real it's not and shouldn't be. 

I suppose it's just wrong choice of words from my side. I was calling the scenes and the acts of the character misogynistic in nature. It doesn't make the whole character a misogynist. 

Misogyny doesn't define Ram or even Pushpa, but their acts can still be considered problematic. 

I'm not equating Pushpa and Ram as equally misogynistic either. Since it's obvious Pushpa had much more such type of scenes. Even in thread title I said I am especially talking about Pushpa. 

I am planning to watch RRR.....haven't watched Pushpa....actually tried to watch the first 15 minutes but couldn't bear it....seemed like a brainless Sallu  movie to me......RRR looked nice from the trailer so hopefully I will like it.

Originally posted by -PD-

After falling in love and romancing in a van.

That scene was not need to be shown as obvious... It was uncomfortable to watch the way it was presented. They could have avoided it.

okay I have forgotten

I was thinking now that maybe it wasn't an inappropriate touch. it depends where he touched

The scenes should be put into the context in terms of story and the characters.

We don't have this practice of dating in our society so men and women find ways to find meeting the members of the opposite sex to whom they find themselves attracted to.

What happens in a date? The man buys flowers books a table in the restaurant picks up the tab in the hope of getting to spend more time with the woman he is interested in.It is a practice that is accepted in their culture and society.

That's what was happening between Pushpa and Srivalli.He was luring her with money. She pretending that she is doing it for money.

But same Srivalli didn't want to sleep with Jalli Reddy for all the money and gold silk saris.It is clear she took Pushpa's money to smile at him because she was interested in him.

Boy meets girl or girl meets boy are simple things in modern culture but in a conservative rural India this becomes difficult.

Didn't find the scene in RRR as misogynist.

Am interested in #VikrantRona now. Does anyone knows what is this movie about?

On topic, there are multitudes of Bollywood movies which a misogynistic or ends up being flower pot roles for leading women. Not sure what can we do about it, maybe they should show disclaimers against female harassment in scenes or label a movie for gender based misogyny while releasing.