Has Kartik became a bigger crowd puller than Ayushmann?

Posted: 1 years ago

Ayushmann has three movies which entered the 100 Crore club.

Dream Girl - 139 Crores

Badhaai Ho - 134 Crores

Bala - 110 Crores

Kartik only has one with SKTKS which barely reached 100 Crores nett. Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 should also cross this mark but it would still be two movies against three movies

Ayushmann also would still have more Hit films in his filmography than Kartik even after Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 is declared a Hit.

But when it comes to opening Kartik has managed to give two double digit openings with Love Aaj Kal (11 Crores) and now Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 (13 Crores), while Ayushmann has never given any double digit first day. His biggest opening is Dream Girl which opened to 9 Crores. 

On one hand we could say both Love Aaj Kal and Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 opened big because they had franchise value and riding on the coattails of the first films. But we can't ignore that Kartik was considered a big enough star to be casted in these movies.

If Kartik can't be credited for these films, then no star should be credited for any sequel or franchise film, even if they were in the original movie because they're still riding on the success of their past film. 

Ayushmann is also going through a rough patch with SMZS and Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui flopping at the box office. Anek would most likely meet the same fate because audience is currently in no mood to watch such serious movies in theatre. But Kartik has managed to bounce back after the failure of Love Aaj Kal. 

Does that mean Kartik has overtaken Ayushmann?

Ayushmann wants to be taken seriously as an actor and leave a legacy behind him when he retires. He'll work with film makers like Anubhav Sinha who makes films dealing with uncomfortable topics.

Kartik wants to be a star and that's where his ambition stops. He's not a threat to anybody and nobody(except a few feminists)  is offended by the topics his films are dealing with.

Edited by capricornrcks - 1 years ago

Karthik forte is the largely tier 2, tier 3 based movies, social satire or comedy with medium budget.

Look at his films post SKSS, Luka chuppi, pati patni or woh.

All were successes with great music and humour.

Were they cringe moments, yes a few but most of the films were entertaining.

Then love Aaj kal which though had great music, sucked on so many levels where it was just boring

Plus he can dance has great screen presence and can deliver lines.

To be honest he is strictly very average but if he continues to do such films with good music and humour with medium budgets he can have a solid and steady career

Star, maybe, Kartik is bigger than Ayushmann.

But Ayushmann is taken wayyyyy more seriously than Kartik Aryan when it comes to being an actor. 

His choices reflect what he is trying to do, which is creating a niche for himself.

Kartik is mediocre in all aspects except comedy, yes he's pretty good at comedy, he reminds me of Akshay Kumar.

Dhamaka was the only film in which Kartik was really good as an actor.

Anyway, both are outsiders who have built themselves up from scratch, so both have my respect in that aspect.

Lol I didn't expect people to agree with me. But looks like everyone here agrees that Kartik is a bigger star than Ayushmann. Although it's also true that Ayushmann is likely going to have more longevity in career because he's much better actor. 

In some ways Kartik is similar to Govinda in 90s with his choice of movies and the type of audience he's catering to.

Also Govinda and his movies weren't taken seriously infront of Khans, Deol, Dutt etc. Just like Kartik isn't taken seriously infront of Ranbir, Ranveer, Ayushmann etc. as they do more serious and big films. 

Govinda didn't survive after 90s and he was far better actor and dancer than Kartik could ever be. But Salman and Akshay despite being average actors still survived for three decades, which tells survival in Bollywood is more about smartness and reinventing than talent. 

Kartik being an outsider didn't reach till here being a dumbass so I expect him to have that smartness. But to reinvent he does need to improve his acting skills. Even Varun is a better actor than him. 

Ayushmann is a better actor who can move the audience with his acting and is acclaimed 

Kartik has some crowd pullers but usually overall collections is more important than opening day 

I know many Ayushman fans but I am yet to meet a Kartik fan in real life and online so Ayushman is definitely bigger star with better track record at the box office 

People associated a genre with Ayushman, I don't like him as an actor but have to appreciate how easily he grasped that the audience has changed and he moved on from his genre to "Anek"

To be honest I do not find Ayushman to be a very good actor.

His choice of films are what makes him good.

All his succesful films are social topics with a brilliant ensemble cast that makes his movies successful.

Karthik is good with comedy and humour and to be honest most of the audience goes to watch that as they know it will be entertaining.

If he balances it with Dhamaka and being smart enough to release on ott things will work for him

Ayushman clearly wants to leave a legacy. But more than as an actor, I see him as a producer down the line. He has an eye for scripts which work.

Karthik is meh as an actor, but I did see an interview where he said he tried a couple of films with strong female characters. They didn't work at the box office. The man is simply doing what brings him money. Sad state of affairs when audience supports only such crap, but it is what it is. But he is a bonafide star.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago

I mean each of these guys there’s about 4 movies from them I really liked. I don’t think one is better than the other. 

An if we’re discussing natural acting than this is is untouchable 

https://youtu.be/qy0m-4meolQ